The Student Room Group

U.S. Leads Effort to Criminalize [certain types of] Free Speech

If they carry on like this I'm personally going to sue them for misrepresenting the title of land of the free.

One of its sponsors, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (formerly the Organization of the Islamic Conference or "OIC" ), has, for over a decade, introduced speech-restrictive resolutions at the United Nations. In the past, these resolutions contained explicit language about "defamation of religions." Last year, however, when the OIC introduced Resolution 16/18 without the term "defamation of religions," the West's resistance to the OIC's efforts faltered (discussed here).

I'd just like to add, no matter who, what religion that is dangerous....

I weep for the planet
Reply 2
"Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law."

Pretty much the law here though isn't it... You can't incite violence on other people..

Me: We should all go out and kill [insert religion here] = illegal

Me: I think that [insert religion here] is discriminatory and actually prohibits progression in society = not illegal..

Sounds about right to me... Freedom to criticise but not freedom to try to get people killed...
Reply 3
lol

White people will be thrown in jail and coloured folk wont. People are so bored in the legal system that they invent new **** everyday just to justify their pay packets. I'd sack a lot of them and it will help the US economy maybe.

:lol:
Reply 4
"If we do not wake up, recognize the implications of that policy shift, and reverse course, this "mere" cosmetic change may result in a radical shift in the protections for freedom of speech in the United States."

Effectively sums up my opinion on this matter. So much for 'the land of the free'.
The US has been turning its back on free speech since Schenck v. US (1919). The government seems to be making the argument that when there's a war on and we're in danger, freedom of speech doesn't matter as much, even though free speech needs to be protected the most when doing so is difficult.

It's things like this that make it hard to be proud of my country.
This is the name of the game in the Bushbama era..
What kind of madness is this? People on a British forum who have no first amendment and far more restrictions of speech than the USA are criticizing us? :confused:
Reply 8
Freedom of expression is certainly more evident in the US than it is in Europe. I'm not saying that's necessarily right, especially considering the heinous nature of the things banned in Europe, but it is true that America has one of the freest expression laws in the world.
They are becoming more like the uk

LOL

Quick Reply

Latest