The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
my reply to that is ur parents onlu hav themselves to blame 4 gettin in2debt. i obviously gnna hav a better quality of life compared 2 someone that parents live on benefits. at da end of da day, ur parents earn good money, and its thr own fault if they overspent.
kingw
my reply to that is ur parents onlu hav themselves to blame 4 gettin in2debt. i obviously gnna hav a better quality of life compared 2 someone that parents live on benefits. at da end of da day, ur parents earn good money, and its thr own fault if they overspent.

From what I could understand from that, you have no idea about life do you?

I doubt you can go from college/uni straight into work and then afford a house/flat. You would have to get a mortgage unless you paid rent. If you went to uni, unless you had parents who could pay for the fees, you would need a student loan. You may also be on a tight budget, so may get a credit card which would then be another bill for you to pay.

They didn't 'overspend' as you said.
This has been argued time and time again, and is getting tiresome.

Kingw, you're wrong.
Reply 43
the point i was tryin 2 get across is tht the money from EMA is much more needed by the pupils from lower incomes. were thr parents may nt be able to give so much money for transport, books etc. so this allowance helps thm 2 learn and nt hav 2 work full time.

i understand ur probs. but u need 2 knw were i am coming from.hopefully i will get £20 i think
kingw
the point i was tryin 2 get across is tht the money from EMA is much more needed by the pupils from lower incomes. were thr parents may nt be able to give so much money for transport, books etc. so this allowance helps thm 2 learn and nt hav 2 work full time.

i understand ur probs. but u need 2 knw were i am coming from.hopefully i will get £20 i think

I don't have problems - my parents are a lot better of now than they were a few years ago.

And can I ask a question? An honest answer would be nice please. Are you really going to spend your EMA money on books and travel? I planned on going to college, that would mean getting two buses a day. My parents would have paid for that, they would also have paid for my dinner. Also, they would pay for books, revision guides etc.

I did however, choose to go to sixth form. Five minutes away from my house, I don't have any travel costs, nor any food costs as I'll be going home for my dinner. As for books, revision guides my parents will buy them. Not because they can afford to - but because they want to.

I can't name one person I know who will be spending money they get from EMA on their education, most people use it for their own gains. On games, CD's, whatever you want to spend your money on.

So, back to the question.

Will you be spending your EMA money on your education? You say you might get £20 a week, if you had to pay for your education £20 wouldn't go very far. I am getting £10, that is 1 weeks bus fare.

Remember, be honest. :wink:
In London, 16-17 year old students dont have to pay for the bus!
Reply 46
honestly, my parents will pay for food, travel and books, and like u said because they want to. i will probly use da EMA 2 treat my self 1nce in a while or jus wen i need sum cash. but i am lookin 4 a part time job.
kingw
honestly, my parents will pay for food, travel and books, and like u said because they want to. i will probly use da EMA 2 treat my self 1nce in a while or jus wen i need sum cash. but i am lookin 4 a part time job.

Exactly.

So you are spending EMA money on yourself, not what it's for. So what gives you the right to £20 a week but another person your age being denied it because their parents earn over 30k? I may sound like a hypocrite because I am saving the money and choosing not to spend it, but you see what I mean. I don't even know why I'm arguing the point as I am entitled to £10 a week, but in reality that is nothing. I am also looking for a part-time job, just of a weekend though. Good luck. :smile:

(Hmm, the bus fare keeps rising up where I am from. I think a student fare is 80p, the cheapest adult fare is £1.20 or £1.00 and 70p for a child. Hell, you could ride round all day in Cyprus for 80p on an air conditioned coach/bus regardless of age. :rolleyes:
Reply 48
dk9
In London, 16-17 year old students dont have to pay for the bus!

what a swizz, i Birmingham you have to first have a 16-18 photocard which allows to pay child rates and that cost £5 then if you want to centrocard which gets you on the bus/train/metro in "birmingham and surrounding areas" that costs £94.50 per term!! (mine cost like £75now thanks to renewal discounts lol)
Reply 49
Don Vito Corleone
I don't have problems - my parents are a lot better of now than they were a few years ago.

And can I ask a question? An honest answer would be nice please. Are you really going to spend your EMA money on books and travel? I planned on going to college, that would mean getting two buses a day. My parents would have paid for that, they would also have paid for my dinner. Also, they would pay for books, revision guides etc.

I did however, choose to go to sixth form. Five minutes away from my house, I don't have any travel costs, nor any food costs as I'll be going home for my dinner. As for books, revision guides my parents will buy them. Not because they can afford to - but because they want to.

I can't name one person I know who will be spending money they get from EMA on their education, most people use it for their own gains. On games, CD's, whatever you want to spend your money on.

So, back to the question.

Will you be spending your EMA money on your education? You say you might get £20 a week, if you had to pay for your education £20 wouldn't go very far. I am getting £10, that is 1 weeks bus fare.

Remember, be honest. :wink:

Well i'm going to be as honest and as frank as possible.
I am most greatful and appreciative about the whole EMA scheme. I will be recieving 30 a week soon.
That money will most certainly be spent for my education. Be it buying revision guides, subject books, buying a new shirt for 6th form, food, paying the fees for school trips or whatever the school may sell that will aid me.
After the first month, where my spending would have decreased as I will have bought the books and stuff, I can openly admit I will be spending money on going out with mates. That's because it's part of being a student, is it not? Without EMA i would have asked my parents for money, something I hate doing, but now I can be more independent.
Of course I will spend the money appropriately. Where there is money left over, I plan to save that money for the not too distant future.
So you see, there are some of us out there that will be spending the money on things other than friday-night binge drinking, as many opposers of the EMA have mentioned.
EMA rocks.
Reply 50
Ah, EMA, certainly a subject to cause arguments and some mean commetns from those that get it and those that dont!
Reply 51
sarah_18
Ah, EMA, certainly a subject to cause arguments and some mean commetns from those that get it and those that dont!

Quite right.
It's nice that you are being honest and saying you are spending your money on school stuff - initially anyway. But you are the only person I know so far who is spending their money on their education, so if someone getting £30 a week can afford to let their parents pay for everything for them it goes to show there is no difference between a £12,000 a year family compared to a £35,000 a year family in the case of EMA and what it will be spent on.
sarah_18

It certainly is, as I've said I get £10 a week and here I am arguing for those that get nothing!
I enroled at college on Thursday, now I am thinking that I don't want to do the course. Another college does what I want to do (re-sit/do a year of GCSEs). I can't do this at the college I'm enrolled at.

I gave in my EMA contract to the college I enrolled at, is it possible to get it back or EMA to send another out if I decide to go to another college?
Hmm, I'm not too sure.

I would advise getting in touch with the EMA people on Monday unless of course someone on here can answer your question.
twinkle.twinkle
I enroled at college on Thursday, now I am thinking that I don't want to do the course. Another college does what I want to do (re-sit/do a year of GCSEs). I can't do this at the college I'm enrolled at.

I gave in my EMA contract to the college I enrolled at, is it possible to get it back or EMA to send another out if I decide to go to another college?

I know you may have already made your mind up, but why do you want to resit your GCSEs?
I want to do them again because I only got 4Cs and the rest Bs. The college I enrolled at doesn't do re-sits and have put me on a health and social care course, so next year I can do my as levels.

I feel that the course is not me and I would rather do GCSEs again, so I can do my as-levels next september.
So you can't start taking AS levels now just because you got Bs and Cs?

That's crazy.
I got Cs and Ds. Sorry about that.

The college even said if it was last year, they would have let me do them.

Quick Reply