The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
H&E
Finally found the stats here: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/colleges/adstats.pdf

Maintained: 47.1% of applications, 46.9% of offers
Independent: 36.1% of applications, 43.9% of offers.
That's quite a substantial difference.

Depends on the college - look at Kings....

Wait a minute... that's Oxford! Everyone knew they were snobs! :biggrin: That's why Cambridge is better.
Reply 101
Faboba
Depends on the college - look at Kings....

Wait a minute... that's Oxford! Everyone knew they were snobs! :biggrin: That's why Cambridge is better.

Cambridge is better because one of its colleges pursues a policy of wild discrimination? :confused:
Reply 102
And because Douglas Adams went there :wink: :d Can't forget that! :biggrin:

Speaking of which, anyone know what college he went to?
Reply 103
H&E
Cambridge is better because one of its colleges pursues a policy of wild discrimination? :confused:

Uh... yes. ( I thought we were calling pro-state discrimination good today. I'm so confused! )

Acaila
And because Douglas Adams went there :wink: :d Can't forget that! :biggrin:

Speaking of which, anyone know what college he went to?

St Johns.
Reply 104
Oooh I'll add Johns to my colleges to look at list :biggrin:
Reply 105
soapsuds

scalpels are good but you have to change the blades regularly to keep them sharp *grins*

This is true. They only give you 6 blades to last you the year in dissection though, but we seem to get by ok. And I think I have to give it back at the end of this year.
Reply 106
Helenia
This is true. They only give you 6 blades to last you the year in dissection though, but we seem to get by ok. And I think I have to give it back at the end of this year.

Maplins sells scalpel blades.
Reply 107
Faboba
Maplins sells scalpel blades.

Meh - I don't need to buy any yet :biggrin:
Reply 108
Darn it darn it darn it!! Why why why is my sleep pattern messed up? Now I'm too late to talk about my "miracle scum gets into Oxbridge" story :frown: Even though everyone had heard it all before.

Oh well, never mind :frown:
Reply 109
Helenia
Meh - I don't need to buy any yet :biggrin:

I have somehow managed on just 1 blade I think.....! And we have to give them back?? I though we paid for them! Maybe they'd be useful in the future or sommat :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 110
MadLy
I have somehow managed on just 1 blade I think.....! And we have to give them back?? I though we paid for them! Maybe they'd be useful in the future or sommat :biggrin: :wink:

I don't know. Mine are still in my locker, along with my festering labcoat. I don't remember if we bought the kit, or just hired it - mine certainly didn't look brand new!

I changed blades once, I think, but I'm sure I haven't got the same scalpel as when I started because we do all our washing up together, so they're certain to have got mixed up.
Reply 111
F. Poste
Darn it darn it darn it!! Why why why is my sleep pattern messed up? Now I'm too late to talk about my "miracle scum gets into Oxbridge" story :frown: Even though everyone had heard it all before.

Oh well, never mind :frown:

Nonsense! Tell it anyway!

In fact; I DEMAND to hear it. Tell it now or there'll be hell to pay!
Reply 112
Faboba
Nonsense! Tell it anyway!

In fact; I DEMAND to hear it. Tell it now or there'll be hell to pay!

If you insist *violins play*

It's quite a long story so I'll shorten it down: I never really got on well at school; I was good at all the academic stuff but had attendance problems. The fact I was moved from a small first school to a larger middle school where everyone already knew each other didn't really help. Neither did chronic asthma. Anyway, I left school in year 10; I was never happy because I was very shy and desparately wanted friends; but my shyness was interpreted by others as being stuck up so I never made any lasting friends at school. I left at the beginning of year ten, was diagnosed with depression and put on drugs, then committed, then kicked out because I wasn't a straightforward case as they hoped. I was very, very low at this point. Then, cheesily enough, September 11th happened and it made me think what a waste of my life I was making. I knew that I wanted more out of life. A nice therapist helped put me back together. I went to a special school for people who'd dropped out- most of them were unacademically inclined and had been expelled. Anyway, I got 5 GCSEs there, at better grades than anyone had anticipated and moved on to the local crappy secondary modern for sixth form, because I had made friends who went there through a volunteer group. It became evident that I was actually quite good at school, and when I started looking at unis I knew I had nothing to be scared of and put down Oxford. Instead of apologising for not having the same academic standards, I wrote on the Oxford form about having missed out and how it had made me focused and ambitious about studying English. They must have liked it.. and hopefully I'll ride off on my horse into a spire

*credits roll*
Christ that was a long story.
Reply 113
*is running out of handkerchiefs after the first two lines and unable to read on for that reason*
Reply 114
Yannis
*is running out of handkerchiefs after the first two lines and unable to read on for that reason*

I'll give you a clue: everyone dies at the end!
Reply 115
H&E
Wow. That's very impressive. So much for all Oxbridge students being middle England, middle class, all the advantages in life etc.

Nah - that's my story, and that's why I don't tell it :tongue:
Reply 116
F. Poste
I'll give you a clue: everyone dies at the end!

I don't think they'll publish though; too much like Girl, Interrupted.

I know this always sounds like a poor comment to make but; good for you!

( I think the trouble is it invites the question; 'What do you mean 'good FOR ME'. Are you saying that my standards are somehow inferior to yours and so that while what I do may seem like an achievement to me to you it is simply something run of the mill that you'd dismiss without a second though. Do you think you're better than me? You want to fight? Huh? You want to fight? Come on; square-go!' etc, etc )

Did you apply through the special access scheme ( or is that Cambridge? )
Reply 117
H&E
Wow. That's very impressive. So much for all Oxbridge students being middle England, middle class, all the advantages in life etc.

Or Londoners. There's a reason that going to Cambridge is referred to as 'Coming Up'.
Reply 118
H&E

Thank you :biggrin: They probably just gave me an offer because I had a nerve :tongue:
Reply 119
F. Poste
Thank you :biggrin: They probably just gave me an offer because I had a nerve :tongue:

TBH, I think applying to Oxford with 5 GCSE's without apologising for it shows so much self belief and determination that you're probably going to succeed at whatever you do in life and therefore Oxford would be stupid to turn you down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending