The Student Room Group

Salters chemical ideas Answers

Im using the chemical ideas 3rd edition book from the salters course; does anyone know where i could get the answers for the questions from. I need the answers because i find that if i know the answer i can find a way to come to the answer and that way teach myself how to do the questions - thats what i did for nearly all subjects in gcse, i even done it for past exam papers using the mark schemes. I asked my teacher but hes being a pain saying that he wont give.

i did find the answers for another chemical ideas book but it didnt have the same number of questions in it.
Reply 1
When your teacher sets you homework, what's the point if you've got the answers? There's a reason why they don't supply the answers - it's not like maths where you've got to show all the working to get to an eventual answer. 90% of answers in chemical ideas are a couple of words. If you want to know the answers to an exercise, to the questions and ask your teacher to mark them.. To buy the answer book, I think you have to provide proof you are a teacher..
Reply 2
-David-
When your teacher sets you homework, what's the point if you've got the answers? There's a reason why they don't supply the answers - it's not like maths where you've got to show all the working to get to an eventual answer. 90% of answers in chemical ideas are a couple of words. If you want to know the answers to an exercise, to the questions and ask your teacher to mark them.. To buy the answer book, I think you have to provide proof you are a teacher..

Working backwards.
Reply 3
So you think it's perfectly acceptable for a pupil to get full marks in questions set specifically by a teacher? The answers aren't there for a reason..
Reply 4
-David-
So you think it's perfectly acceptable for a pupil to get full marks in questions set specifically by a teacher? The answers aren't there for a reason..

No, but working backwards from a question can work out where problems lie in terms of calculation.
Reply 5
Yeh there's no question of that, but only a small amount of questions in chemical ideas have answers that can be 'worked back' form.
http://www.science-aquinas.co.uk/zindependentlearners/salters%20stuff/answerschemideas.pdf

Here you go, take it with a pinch of salt though, some errors. So ****ed up they didnt include answers at the back of the book :rolleyes:
-David-

It's our A-level not yours. We'll do it how we want to get the grade we want.
Reply 8
You don't think that, by posting that link, you've possibly stopped another chemistry student from actually working out the answers as they're meant to, and just copied them out from the answer sheet? I fully accept that answers are useful, but I have a problem with that information being posted for all to see.. not everyone is as motivated to work out the answers, instead of copying them down.
-David-
You don't think that, by posting that link, you've possibly stopped another chemistry student from actually working out the answers as they're meant to, and just copied them out from the answer sheet? I fully accept that answers are useful, but I have a problem with that information being posted for all to see.. not everyone is as motivated to work out the answers, instead of copying them down.

I would argue that that's their problem, we arn't talking about school children here - if an A-level student wishes to do it this way then let them, they are only cheating themselves :p:
Reply 10
I guess you're both right, I'm just coming from the perspective that, when I did my A levels, if I had the answers, I probably wouldn't have bothered working anything out with all the other homework/coursework I had to do!
-David-

That's their own problem if they just copy the answers, it's a useful resource for the majority. I kinda worked out cheating doesnt help when exams come round when i was... oh... 10? :rolleyes: If they're not motivated to work the answers out, why are they doing chemistry in the first place :wink:

Like i said. Our A-levels, we'll do em how we wish.
Reply 12
Yeah ok I understand where people are coming from, but I agree, that at the end of the day, we'll know how much we've really accomplished.
I was looking for the answers myself [although annoyingly half the exercise I wanted to do wasn't in that slightly older version of the answers]. However, this is just so that in my head I can confirm and build confidence in myself and in what I'm doing. Especially seeing as some of my teachers are fairly patronising, and if I can see myself what the answer should be [after getting it wrong], and working back and seeing what I did, it kinda cuts out the middle man so to say.
Dunno how much of that made sense, but ramble over :smile:
Reply 13
Let people do what they want to do!
help need answer on 13.2 and btw these are old answers..
007mariam007
help need answer on 13.2 and btw these are old answers..

Which edition of the book do you have? Which question you stuck on?
Reply 16
has anyone got the answers to the 3rd edition of the chemical ideas textbook?
These answers are not for third edition
To be quite honest i use the answers for revision because a lot of the time our teacher can't be bothered to mark them. it's very useful to have the answers there, and personally i would never cheat on myself because i think we're mature enough at a level to realise that there is no point.

Latest