The Student Room Group

STEP I, II, III 2002 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

What was the difference between yours and Unbounded? As described it looked similar, but from what you're saying, his turned out a bit nastier.
DFranklin
What was the difference between yours and Unbounded? As described it looked similar, but from what you're saying, his turned out a bit nastier.

You disagree then?

Well it avoided the (θ+2ϕ)(\theta+2\phi), avoided the product-sum, seemed, to me, a hell of an lot simpler with the trig manipulations, and really reduced the problem to more standard A-level, rather than STEP, IMHO.

P.S. I did say I was impartial (not)!
Wasn't disagreeing, just trying to ascertain where the big "don't do this, do that" point of decision was. It wasn't obvious to me on a cursory glance why your algebra was so much nicer - largely because I wasn't sure what was involved in your "sub (4) into (3) and fiddle" comment. Looking a bit more carefully, I see that there is very little fiddling required, but I didn't notice that at the time.
DFranklin

:cool: Yep, "fiddle" with me is a small thing (though someone else may use the term compeletely differently), as opposed to the "after some nasty algebra" in my second solution which involved 8 terms each comprising a combination of three, sines and cosines; yuck!

I guess the main difference was that I didn't square the "momentum in the direction of the initial velocity" equation early on; and later didn't need to.

After stating the initial equations, putting v2 in terms of v1 seemed a natural first step, which would almost certainly come in handy later.

Then "putting (4) into (3) and fiddle" so u is just in terms of v1 produced something akin to the one side of the desired equation (fortuitously perhaps), and the next step was obvious.
SimonM
STEP I, Question 4

y=2x(1+x2)2\displaystyle y' = - \frac{2x}{(1+x^2)^2}

Therefore the equation of the tangent is y=2a(1+a2)2x+11+a2+2a2(1+a2)2\displaystyle y = - \frac{2a}{(1+a^2)^2} x + \frac{1}{1+a^2} +\frac{2a^2}{(1+a^2)^2}

Where did that part on the end (not the coefficient of x, everything else) come from? :frown:
Reply 125
ziedj
Where did that part on the end (not the coefficient of x, everything else) come from? :frown:

For what it's worth I set it out a slightly different way
Tangent is at x=a (>0) and passes through (0,1)
y1=2a(1+a2)2x y - 1 = \dfrac{-2a}{(1+a^2)^2}x

and y1x=11+a21a=a1+a2 \dfrac{y-1}{x} = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{1+a^2} - 1}{a} = \dfrac{-a}{1+a^2}

So we must have

2a(1+a2)2=a1+a2 \dfrac{-2a}{(1+a^2)^2} = \dfrac{-a}{1+a^2}

Which quickly cancels down to give a2=1 a^2 = 1
Reply 126
My solution to question 14 STEP II
Reply 127
Completing Dadeyemi's work on STEP III Q2, last part
SimonM
STEP III, Question 1

Spoiler

Sorry could you explain how you get to 2 divided by pi? I got the -(ln^2 (a) +2 ln(a) +2)/a but could not justify whether that expression would tend to 0 or 1, im thinking now probably 0 as if you sub in x = e^2 then e^5 that gets progressively smaller and smaller, so did you mean 2pi?

Also a little suggestion maybe it would have been easier to use the substitution u = ln x.
Reply 129
Diego Granziol
Sorry could you explain how you get to 2 divided by pi? I got the -(ln^2 (a) +2 ln(a) +2)/a but could not justify whether that expression would tend to 0 or 1, im thinking now probably 0 as if you sub in x = e^2 then e^5 that gets progressively smaller and smaller, so did you mean 2pi?

Also a little suggestion maybe it would have been easier to use the substitution u = ln x.

It's 2 pi, in latex that is 2\pi. Perhaps I forgot the tags?
Solution to 2002 STEP II Q6
Draw a decent diagram so you can see the lines and angles clearly.
Let l1, l2 and l3 be the lengths of lines l1, l2 and l3 from a horizontal plane to the point of intersection. Let vertical height of point of intersection above the plane be h. Then: -
l3 sin /4 = l1 sin /6 = l2 sin = h
l3 sin = l1 cos = l2
Therefore
l1 cos sin = l1 sin /6
cos sin = 1/2
l3 sin sin = l3 sin /4
sin sin = 1/
(sin sin )^2 + (cos sin )^2 = 3/4
sin = /2
= /3
Same diagram for second part but
replace with and
/4, and /6 with 2, /3 and
l3 sin 2 = l1 sin = l2 sin /3 = h
l3 sin = l1 cos = l2
l1 / l3 = tan = sin 2 / sin
tan = 2 cos
l1 sin = l1 cos sin /3
(tan ) ^ 2 + 3 (cos ) ^ 2 = 4
(tan ) ^ 4 - 3 (tan ) ^ 2 - 1= 0
(tan ) ^ 2 = (3 + )/2
(3 - )/2 is not a solution as (tan ) ^ 2
Reply 132
Answer to Step III 2002 Q9.

For the case k>12tanθk>\frac{1}{2}\tan\theta.
Where θ\theta is the angle of the plane.

The area of the fluid = ka2ka^2 and forms a trapezium.
If you cut the trapezium into two parts, a rectangle and a square angled triangle with angle θ\theta , the dimensions of the parts are:

Triangle: Width =a= a
Height =atanθ= a\tan\theta

Rectangle: width =a= a
let height =z= z

but ka2=za+a2tanθ2ka^2 = za+\frac{a^2 \tan\theta}{2}
ka=z+atanθ2ka = z+\frac{a \tan\theta}{2}
z=kaatanθ2z = ka-\frac{a \tan\theta}{2}
z=a(ktanθ2)z = a(k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2})

Therefore the centre of mass of the triangle is 13a\frac{1}{3}a from the side of the container and a(ktanθ2)+atanθ3a(k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2})+\frac{a\tan\theta}{3} from the base. The mass of the triangle is a2tanθ2\frac{a^2 \tan\theta}{2}units.

The centre of mass of the rectangle is 12a\frac{1}{2}a from the side of the container and a2(ktanθ2)\frac{a}{2} (k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2}) from the base. Its mass is a2(ktanθ2)a^2(k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2})units.

Using: Moments of whole = Sum moments of parts we can find x and y
To find x:
ka2x=(13a)(a2tanθ2)+(12a)(a2(ktanθ2))ka^2 x= (\frac{1}{3}a)(\frac{a^2 \tan\theta}{2})+(\frac{1}{2}a)(a^2(k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2}))

ka2x=a3tanθ6+a32(ktanθ2)ka^2 x= \frac{a^3 \tan\theta}{6}+\frac{a^3}{2}(k-\frac{\tan\theta}{2})

kxa=tanθ6+k2tanθ4\frac{kx}{a}= \frac{ \tan\theta}{6}+\frac{k}{2}-\frac{\tan\theta}{4}

kxa=k2tanθ12\frac{kx}{a}=\frac{k}{2}-\frac{ \tan\theta}{12}

xa=12tanθ12k\frac{x}{a}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{ \tan\theta}{12k}

To find y:
ka2y=(a2tanθ2)(kaatanθ6)+(ka2a2tanθ2)(ka2atanθ4)ka^2 y= (\frac{a^2 \tan\theta}{2})(ka-\frac{a \tan\theta}{6})+(ka^2-\frac{a^2 \tan\theta}{2})(\frac{ka}{2}-\frac{a\tan\theta}{4})

ka2y=ka3tanθ2a3tan2θ12+k2a32ka3tanθ4ka3tanθ4+a3tan2θ8ka^2 y= \frac{ka^3 \tan\theta}{2}-\frac{a^3 \tan^2\theta}{12}+\frac{k^2a^3}{2}-\frac{ka^3 \tan\theta}{4} -\frac{ka^3 \tan\theta}{4}+\frac{a^3 \tan^2\theta}{8}

kya=k22tan2θ12+tan2θ8\frac{ky}{a}= \frac{k^2}{2}-\frac{\tan^2\theta}{12}+\frac{\tan^2\theta}{8}

ya=k2+tan2θ24k\frac{y}{a}= \frac{k}{2}+\frac{\tan^2\theta}{24k}

For the case k<12tanθk<\frac{1}{2}\tan\theta.
The area of the fluid = ka2ka^2 and forms a square angled triangle with angle θ\theta.

The area can be found using
12bcsinθ=ka2\frac{1}{2} bc \sin\theta=ka^2
where b and c are the hypotenuse and base of the triangle respectively.
Also cosθ=cb\cos\theta = \frac{c}{b}
b=ccosθb=\frac{c}{\cos\theta}
Therefore by substitution:

12c2tanθ=ka2 \frac{1}{2} c^2 \tan\theta = ka^2

c2=2ka2tanθ c^2 = \frac{2ka^2}{\tan\theta}

The distance xx of the centre of mass from the side is 13c\frac{1}{3} c .

Therefore x=13cx=\frac{1}{3} c

x2=19c2x^2=\frac{1}{9} c^2

9x2=c29x^2= c^2

Therefore: 9x2=2ka2tanθ 9x^2 = \frac{2ka^2}{\tan\theta}

x2a2=2k9tanθ \frac{x^2}{a^2} = \frac{2k}{9\tan\theta}

xa=2k9tanθ \frac{x}{a} = \sqrt{\frac{2k}{9\tan\theta}}

To find y:
sinθ=db\sin\theta = \frac{d}{b}
tanθ=dc\tan\theta = \frac{d}{c}
Where d is the side opposite the angle theta.

b=dsinθb= \frac{d}{\sin\theta}
c=dtanθ c= \frac{d}{\tan\theta}

By substitution d22tanθsinθsinθ=ka2\frac{d^2}{2\tan\theta\sin\theta} \sin\theta = ka^2

d2a2=2ktanθ\frac{d^2}{a^2} = 2k\tan\theta

The distance yy of the centre of mass from the base is 13d\frac{1}{3} d .

Therefore 9y2=d29y^2= d^2

ya=2ktanθ9\frac{y}{a} = \sqrt{\frac{2k\tan\theta}{9}}

For the case when k<12k<\frac{1}{2} and θ>45\theta>45
2k<12k<1 and tanθ>1\tan\theta>1
Therefore 12tanθ>k\frac{1}{2} \tan\theta>k the case where the fluid forms a triangle.

Also tanϕ=yx\tan \phi=\frac{y}{x}
Where ϕ\phi is the angle between the centre of mass and the base of the container. and xx and yy are the distances of the centre of mass from the side and base of the container.

tanϕ=yx=2ktanθ92k9tanθ\tan \phi=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{2k\tan\theta}{9}}}{\sqrt{\frac{2k}{9\tan\theta}}}

y2x2=(2ktanθ9)(9tanθ2k)\frac{y^2}{x^2}=(\frac{2k \tan\theta}{9})(\frac {9\tan\theta}{2k})

y2x2=tan2θ\frac{y^2}{x^2}=\tan^2\theta

tanϕ=yx=tanθ\tan \phi=\frac{y}{x}=\tan\theta

ϕ=θ\phi=\theta

Container will topple when θ+ϕ>90\theta+\phi>90

In the case when θ>45\theta>45
θ+ϕ>90\theta+\phi>90

Therefore the container will topple.
Well done odp04y,

You've obviously got a better command of LaTex than me.
Here's an alternative for the last part of Q5

Let the roots be a,b,c,d. We know that

abcd=576=2^6 * 3^2
(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)(d+1)=1+22+172...=3^3 * 7^2
(a-1)(b-1)(c-1)(d-1)=1-22+172-552+576=7 * 5^2.

All the roots are negative (Since all the signs in the equation are "+".)

If the "+1" equation has a factor of 7^2 and the "-1" has a factor 5^2, 6 must be a duplicated root. Also since the "-1" has a factor of 7, 8 must be a root. It is now easy to deduce that the other root is 2.

So the roots are -2, -6 (twice) and -8.

By the fundamental theorem of algebra, this is the only solution set.
(edited 13 years ago)
STEP III Q14

Spoiler

Very much unfinished, and I don't think I've done part i) correctly...
Reply 136
OK, I know this is an old thread, but I would be forever grateful if someone could clarify a tiny bit of the solution for II/7:

Original post by Glutamic Acid
II/7:

So 1/3+α(λ1/3)=1+β(λ1)1/3 + \alpha(\lambda - 1/3) = 1 + \beta(\lambda - 1)
2/3+α(λ2/3)=02/3 + \alpha(\lambda - 2/3) = 0
2/3α2/3=λβ2/3 - \alpha 2/3 = \lambda \beta

The second equation gives α=223λ\alpha = \dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}. Substituting into the third gives β=223λ\beta = \dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}. Substituting these into the first:
1/3+223λ(λ1/3)=1+23λ2(λ1)1/3 + \dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}(\lambda - 1/3) = 1 + \dfrac{2}{3 \lambda - 2}(\lambda - 1); multiplying out gives 2λ=0λ=02 \lambda = 0 \Rightarrow \lambda = 0, so no non-zero solutions.

I have the same three equations. From the second equation, I get the same value of α\alpha (223λ)(\dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}). However, when I substitute it into the third equation, I get β=23λ2\beta = \dfrac{2}{3 \lambda - 2}, the negative of what Glutamic Acid got (which is the answer that works, putting λ=0\lambda = 0 into 1/3+223λ(λ1/3)=1+23λ2(λ1)1/3 + \dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}(\lambda - 1/3) = 1 + \dfrac{2}{3 \lambda - 2}(\lambda - 1) gives a false equation). I'm probably just being an idiot, but I'm tearing my hair out over this, can someone put me out of my misery?
Original post by Asboob

I have the same three equations. From the second equation, I get the same value of α\alpha (223λ)(\dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}). However, when I substitute it into the third equation, I get β=23λ2\beta = \dfrac{2}{3 \lambda - 2}, the negative of what Glutamic Acid got (which is the answer that works, putting λ=0\lambda = 0 into 1/3+223λ(λ1/3)=1+23λ2(λ1)1/3 + \dfrac{2}{2 - 3 \lambda}(\lambda - 1/3) = 1 + \dfrac{2}{3 \lambda - 2}(\lambda - 1) gives a false equation). I'm probably just being an idiot, but I'm tearing my hair out over this, can someone put me out of my misery?

I suspect it's just a typo on his part, and he meant to put β=223λ\beta = \dfrac{-2}{2-3 \lambda } since he's used that value in the following line (having multiplied top and bottom by -1).
2002 STEP I question 14

P(I get money at first attempt) is 1n,P(at second attempt) is n1n×1n1×eλ/r \text{P(I get money at first attempt) is }\dfrac{1}{n}, \text{P(at second attempt) is }\dfrac{n-1}{n} \times \dfrac{1}{n-1} \times \text{e}^{-\lambda /r}
Unparseable latex formula:

\text{P(at third attempt} is }\dfrac{n-1}{n}\times\dfrac{n-2}{n-1}\times\dfrac{1}{n-2}\times \text{e}^{-2\lambda/r} \text{ etc}

hence, P(I get my money) is1n+1nk=1nekλ/r=1nk=1neλ(k1)/r \text{hence, P(I get my money) is}\dfrac{1}{n}+\dfrac{1}{n} \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n \text{e}^{-k\lambda/r}=\dfrac{1}{n} \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\text{e}^{-\lambda(k-1)/r}
so Probability that police arrive before I get my mone is 11nk=1neλ(k1)r=11n(1enλ/r1eλ/r) \text{so Probability that police arrive before I get my mone is }1-\dfrac{1}{n} \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\text{e}^{-\lambda(k-1)r}=1-\dfrac{1}{n} \left( \dfrac{1-\text{e}^{-n\lambda/r}}{1-\text{e}^{-\lambda/r}}\right)
If I punch in numbers at random, the probability of getting the correct one or an incorrect one \text{If I punch in numbers at random, the probability of getting the correct one or an incorrect one }
remain constant at 1n and n1n respectively, hence Prob(I get my money) is now  \text {remain constant at } \dfrac{1}{n} \text{ and } \dfrac{n-1}{n} \text{ respectively, hence Prob(I get my money) is now }
1n+n1n×1neλ/r+(n1n)2×1ne2λ/r+ \dfrac{1}{n}+ \dfrac{n-1}{n}\times\dfrac{1}{n}\text{e}^{-\lambda/r}+ \left(\dfrac{n-1}{n}\right)^2\times \dfrac{1}{n}\text{e}^{-2\lambda/r} + \dots
=1n(1+k=1(n1n)kekλ/r)=1n(11n1neλ/r)=11n(n1)eλ/r = \dfrac{1}{n} \left(1+ \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( \dfrac{n-1}{n} \right)^k \text{e}^{-k \lambda/r} \right)= \dfrac{1}{n} \left( \dfrac{1}{1- \frac{n-1}{n} \text{e}^{- \lambda/r}} \right)=1- \dfrac{1}{n-(n-1)\text{e}^{-\lambda/r}}
2002 STEP II question 12

Consider a single coin thrown M times, then number of heads X say is a binomial variableBin(M,p)\text{Consider a single coin thrown }M\text{ times, then number of heads }X\text{ say is a binomial variable}Bin(M,p)
We use the normal approximation X(1p))\text{We use the normal approximation }X \approx(1-p))
so P(X<m)=Φ(m12MpMp(1p))=Φ(2m12MP2Mp(1p))=hLh defined as in question \text{so }P(X<m)=\Phi\left(\dfrac{m-\frac{1}{2}-Mp}{\sqrt{Mp(1-p)}}\right)=\Phi\left(\dfrac{2m-1-2MP}{2\sqrt{Mp(1-p)}}\right)= \dfrac{h}{L} h\text{ defined as in question}
Now consider L such trials. The number of heads Y say will have a Bin(L,hL) distribution \text{Now consider }L\text{ such trials. The number of heads }Y \text{ say will have a }Bin\left(L,\dfrac{h}{L}\right) \text{ distribution}
it is reasonable to assume that hL is small, so we use a Poisspon approximation Po(h)\text{it is reasonable to assume that }\dfrac{h}{L} \text{ is small, so we use a Poisspon approximation }Po(h)
if h is not too small we may approximate this with N(h.h)\text{if }h \text{ is not too small we may approximate this with }N(h.h)
Unparseable latex formula:

\text{so we now have }P(Y>l)=1- \Phi \left( \dfrac{1-0.5-h}{\sqrt{h}}\right)=1-\Phi\left(\dfrac{2l-1-2h}{2\sqrth}\right)= \Phi \left( \dfrac{2h-2l-1}{2\sqrt{h}}\right)=q

If each such set of trials is performed K times then the number of successful outcomes is B(K,q)\text{If each such set of trials is performed }K\text{ times then the number of successful outcomes is }B(K,q)
hence, P(k successful outcomes )=(Kk)qk(1q)Kk as required\text{hence, P(}k\text{ successful outcomes })=\displaystyle\binom{K}{k}q^k(1-q)^K-k \text{ as required}
With K=7,k=2,L=500,l=4,M=1)),m=48 and p=0.6\text{With }K=7,k=2,L=500,l=4,M=1)),m=48 \text{ and }p=0.6
M is large and p is close to 0.5 so first normal approximation is acceptable M\text{ is large and }p\text{ is close to }0.5 \text{ so first normal approximation is acceptable}
h=500Φ(961120224)=500Φ(25224)=2.7h=500\Phi\left(\dfrac{96-1-120}{2\sqrt24}\right)=500\Phi \left(- \dfrac{25}{2\sqrt24}\right)=2.7
hL=0.0054 so Poisson approximation Po(h) is acceptable but the normal approximation to this is not\dfrac{h}{L}=0.0054 \text{ so Poisson approximation }Po(h) \text{ is acceptable but the normal approximation to this is not}
so I would not expect theresult to be very accurate\text{so I would not expect theresult to be very accurate}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending