The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

My application has been cancelled. Anything I could do?

I applied to KCL last year and got an unconditional offer. I deferred a year so I would start this coming fall. I, however, decided to apply to LSE in this admission cycle and I submitted my application to LSE a month ago.

Now, I got an email from UCAS saying that they cancelled my application:
"It has now come to our attention that you have submitted a second application for entry in 2011 which cannot be processed as only one application is acceotable in any application cycle.In these circumtances the second application has been cancelled."

Is this really not possible to apply to LSE in my situation? Why? I could apply f I were currently attending KCL! Does anybody have an idea if there's anything to do in this case?
I know there's only a slight chance I would get in, but I wanted to try and I worked hard on my personal statement. Now, it would just get lost!

Thank you
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by erklam
I applied to KCL last year and got an unconditional offer. I deferred a year so I would start this coming fall. I, however, decided to apply to LSE in this admission cycle and I submitted my application to LSE a month ago.

Now, I got an email from UCAS saying that they cancelled my application:
"It has now come to our attention that you have submitted a second application for entry in 2011 which cannot be processed as only one application is acceotable in any application cycle.In these circumtances the second application has been cancelled."

Is this really not possible to apply to LSE in my situation? Why? I could apply f I were currently attending KCL! Does anybody have an idea if there's anything to do in this case?
I know there's only a slight chance I would get in, but I wanted to try and I worked hard on my personal statement. Now, it would just get lost!

Thank you

Unfortunately it is impossible to have two UCAS applications running simultaneously. This, I would imagine, is to prevent people messing up universities' numbers by apparently accepting one offer but then deciding against it when they get a better one. You would have had to reject your previous offer in order to apply again (unless, as you said, you applied from university).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
This is awful...There is no point in calling anyone or anything, right?...:frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, you broke the rules.
Reply 4
Original post by Muffinz
Yeah, you broke the rules.

Where could I find this rule online? I have been looking at UCAS terms & conditions but I did not find it...I'm sure it has to be somewhere but don't you know where?
For me, it never even crossed my mind that it could be illegal because of what I wrote in my first post...never mind.

Thanks!
You are only allowed one application, with up five choices, for entry in any given year.

Why don't you want to go to KCL anymore?
Reply 6
You need to get yourself release from your unconditional place before applying for another.
Reply 7
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You are only allowed one application, with up five choices, for entry in any given year.

Why don't you want to go to KCL anymore?

The problem is that KCL doesn't have such a great reputation as LSE... and I have the chance to study at a little-known American college (which is however, prestigious in the US) which would be an amazing experience. LSE beats that easily. KCL doesn't really...

I cannot cancel my unconditional offer though for this slim chance that I might get into LSE...
Reply 8
You should send an email KCL to reserve your place, , withdrawing your last year application, but not tell them the real reason that you are applying for LSE. I know it is hard to make up a reason in this case but you'd better try. I think it is the only option so far I can come up with.
Reply 9
Original post by chuchuchu
You should send an email KCL to reserve your place, , withdrawing your last year application, but not tell them the real reason that you are applying for LSE. I know it is hard to make up a reason in this case but you'd better try. I think it is the only option so far I can come up with.

This sounds interesting...is it possible to reserve a place and withdraw an application at the same time? Aren't these two things the same?

thanks so much
Reply 10
Original post by erklam
This sounds interesting...is it possible to reserve a place and withdraw an application at the same time? Aren't these two things the same?

thanks so much

My friend did something similar to this. Allowing him to keep his place and yet apply to other universities. But I cannot say it publicly as UCAS may fix the issue :-s
Reply 11
Original post by Est.
My friend did something similar to this. Allowing him to keep his place and yet apply to other universities. But I cannot say it publicly as UCAS may fix the issue :-s

Sorry for bothering you about this, but how exactly does this work? This would be so important for me and I don't know anything about it. What do I say to the uni where I have a place? "Please take me off UCAS?" Or what...?

I would appreciate every tiny bit of info:smile:

Quick Reply