The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aiko
Gemini was better than the first season, largely because the plot was continuous and not episodic. All in all, it was better written and directed than its prequel, but was hindered by its length. Had it been a two cour, the sub plots would have been explored in greater depth than they were. In account of this, I wouldn't consider it a favourite of mine.

Yeah, the continuous and more interesting plot were the main appeal for me, and I liked the new characters too. I'm not quite sure how they could have stretched it out for twice as many episodes, though. :hmmmm2:
Reply 41
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yeah, the continuous and more interesting plot were the main appeal for me, and I liked the new characters too. I'm not quite sure how they could have stretched it out for twice as many episodes, though. :hmmmm2:

As mentioned, many of the subplots were left unexplored and could have been fleshed out more (particularly in regard to Yin). That said, the subsequent OVAs helped to address that.
Reply 42
I ended up leading this group for a reason. :proud: :p:

There were like 3 people posting back then and you were the only one who didnt spam.:erm:
Reply 43
:teehee:

I don't know which of the series to watch today. I have too many ongoing :emo: A couple of series are ones I watch on crunchyroll, but I use my ipod for that as it kills my computer. And I'm so far behind on Bakuman (ep 2) and less so wandering son :emo:
Reply 44
Original post by Truered
:teehee:

I don't know which of the series to watch today. I have too many ongoing :emo: A couple of series are ones I watch on crunchyroll, but I use my ipod for that as it kills my computer. And I'm so far behind on Bakuman (ep 2) and less so wandering son :emo:

Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura, both at the same time. :yes:
Reply 45
Original post by Aiko
Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura, both at the same time. :yes:

I ended up going with Ranma :yes: (Just noticed I had been quoted). I'm actually watching it dubbed as 1) it isn't bad 2) it means I can watch it without fully paying attention. Given the nature of Ranma that works out better, plus means I can watch more of it like with other English shows, rather then watching an episode or two subbed and then having a break :mmm:

I also have the six Project(?) A-ko ova/films on my HDD which I may try at the weekend.
hm, anyone else watching Infinite Stratos or Fractale?
Reply 47
Original post by Truered
I ended up going with Ranma :yes: (Just noticed I had been quoted). I'm actually watching it dubbed as 1) it isn't bad 2) it means I can watch it without fully paying attention. Given the nature of Ranma that works out better, plus means I can watch more of it like with other English shows, rather then watching an episode or two subbed and then having a break :mmm:

Is the English dub any good? I'm somewhat curious to find out for myself, but equally I don't want my childhood memory tarnished. :tongue:

Original post by November 11
hm, anyone else watching Infinite Stratos or Fractale?

Yes, I'm up to date with the former but a few episodes behind on the latter. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Yes, I'm up to date with the former but a few episodes behind on the latter. :smile:

Awesome. IS is just good fun, but I really like Fractale for some reason. I know it's not particularly original, but I like the style and it's well executed.

I'm just about to watch episode 11 of IS. I am very glad that it was not delayed too significantly. I wonder when Madoka will be continuing. Incidentally, I'm not surprised to learn that networks are cancelling reruns of shows like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 at the moment.

Spoiler

I might marathon Legend of the Galactic Heroes over the weekend. Depends if I have to work or not. I hope not.
Reply 49
Original post by Aiko
Is the English dub any good? I'm somewhat curious to find out for myself, but equally I don't want my childhood memory tarnished. :tongue:

Well sometimes it can be a bit iffy when saying Japanese names, but so far it seems ok. Nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible, and more importantly none of the female voices have made me want to tear my ears out. Given my tastes in anime, it is often female characters that turn me off from the few dubs I've seen- instead of being cute/tough they often sound like whiny american teenagers :mmm:
I wonder when Madoka will be continuing.

ANN suggests somewhen in mid April, while the comments on the site are predicting they'll try and air the final episode(s) on the actual Walpurgis Night (no evidence to support that, only that it would be awesome trolling on SHAFT's part). Personally, I don't mind as long as the wait is less than the one for the final Bakemonogatari episodes. :p:
Reply 51
Awesome. IS is just good fun, but I really like Fractale for some reason. I know it's not particularly original, but I like the style and it's well executed.

Agreed, as I've said before on here, Infinite Stratos is very much my 'guilty pleasure' of the season. As you say, it's not original, nor strives to be (discounting the mecha musume meets harem aspect), but it's entertaining to watch in a "shut my mind off" type of way. However, I'm still hoping that the series will offer more in terms of plot and character development now that all of the girls have been introduced. :smile:

Admittedly, I was expecting a lot more from Fractale in account of its Noitamina time slot and that A1 are responsible, but it's far from bad, and the plot is starting to pick up the pace with episode 10.

I'm just about to watch episode 11 of IS. I am very glad that it was not delayed too significantly. I wonder when Madoka will be continuing. Incidentally, I'm not surprised to learn that networks are cancelling reruns of shows like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 at the moment.

Spoiler

Yes, it's absolutely terrible what's happened in Japan. Fortunately, according to my family, the relief effort is finally pushing forward in full force and everyone, including those in the north east, are beginning to accept the reality of what's happened and are returning to their daily routines, albeit under different circumstances.

I might marathon Legend of the Galactic Heroes over the weekend. Depends if I have to work or not. I hope not.

Highly recommended, it shouldn't disappoint. :smile:

Original post by Truered
Well sometimes it can be a bit iffy when saying Japanese names, but so far it seems ok. Nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible, and more importantly none of the female voices have made me want to tear my ears out. Given my tastes in anime, it is often female characters that turn me off from the few dubs I've seen- instead of being cute/tough they often sound like whiny american teenagers :mmm:

I've been told that English dubbing is poor, but I didn't realise that they can't normally pronounce the names properly... :erm: I suppose that's the difficulty with watching the dub, the cultural nuances that are reenforced by the original voice cast is lost.
Reply 52
ANN suggests somewhen in mid April, while the comments on the site are predicting they'll try and air the final episode(s) on the actual Walpurgis Night (no evidence to support that, only that it would be awesome trolling on SHAFT's part). Personally, I don't mind as long as the wait is less than the one for the final Bakemonogatari episodes. :p:

The real trolling will be it will end as a nice fluffy slice of life episode with everyone happy friends through the power of friendship :yes:

Then everyone laughs, the morning rescue people drop in to provide cool beverages and then end credits.
Original post by Aiko
Agreed, as I've said before on here, Infinite Stratos is very much my 'guilty pleasure' of the season. It's entertaining to watch in a "shut my mind off" type of way.
Exactly. ^^

However, I'm still hoping that the series will offer more in terms of plot and character development now that all of the girls have been introduced. :smile:
Me too, I think things should be heating up now that everyone has been introduced, as you said. However, I haven't read the light novels, so I don't know what to expect, and I probably won't be too disappointed if the plot doesn't become more interesting simply because it'll still be quite entertaining. Plenty of plot in other shows.

Highly recommended, it shouldn't disappoint. :smile:
Oh, I've watched it before, but never in one long sitting. :biggrin:

I'm actually looking for an unofficial translation of the video game:

but I have not had any luck so far. :/

April...
April...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Truered
The real trolling will be it will end as a nice fluffy slice of life episode with everyone happy friends through the power of friendship :yes:

Then everyone laughs, the morning rescue people drop in to provide cool beverages and then end credits.

That would be bloody awesome.
Reply 55
Me too, I think things should be heating up now that everyone has been introduced, as you said. However, I haven't read the light novels, so I don't know what to expect, and I probably won't be too disappointed if the plot doesn't become more interesting simply because it'll still be quite entertaining. Plenty of plot in other shows.

Neither have I, but there's already subtle implications that there's more to the plot than what's been showed so far. At least, I hope so. :tongue:

Oh, I've watched it before, but never in one long sitting. :biggrin:

It's been well over a decade since I last watched LOGH myself. I've been intending to revisit many of the anime I've seen that have left a lasting impact, and LOGH will definitely be one of them. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
It's been well over a decade since I last watched LOGH myself. I've been intending to revisit many of the anime I've seen that have left a lasting impact, and LOGH will definitely be one of them. :smile:

What else might you be planning to revisit?

##

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
What else might you be planning to revisit?

##

Hmm, I don't have a definitive list, but offhand I'd like to re-watch Hokuto no Ken, Ashi-ta no Joe, Gundam (UC, specifically), Sailor Moon and, despite watching it relatively recently, Touch. There's many more that I'd like to see again as well.

Curiously, do you have an anime list of sorts? I'd be interested to see what you've seen. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Hmm, I don't have a definitive list, but offhand I'd like to re-watch Hokuto no Ken, Ashi-ta no Joe, Gundam (UC, specifically), Sailor Moon and, despite watching it relatively recently, Touch. There's many more that I'd like to see again as well.

Curiously, do you have an anime list of sorts? I'd be interested to see what you've seen. :smile:

Oh man, it's been forever since I watched Fist of the North Star. I don't even know if I have that on my hard drives or on DVD.

As for what I have seen, give me a few minutes to flesh out the list on my profile page, which I left at "and other stuff" last night. :P
I've stalled my plans to rewatch Kaiji before the second season - the two best arcs are over, though I'll probably get around to E Card later. Can't be bothered with the damned tissue box. I doubt I'll actually rewatch Qwaser, as I don't have the time, but I'll continue replacing the lame web rips with BDs all the same. :yes:

As for the stuff I AM watching, I've caught up with Letter Bee. It seems like its building up to a fairly standard ending in this weekend's final episode. Hourou Musuko is the next series I aim to catch up with; Fractale is improving but still doesn't stand out, while I've stalled Star Driver again (don't know why, as its actually gotten good now. Force of habit maybe? :p:). I've also resumed One Piece after about a month's break since Thriller Bark and the filler that followed. I'm making quite fast progress with Creamy Mami, and even Kare Kano is growing on me now.
(edited 13 years ago)