The Student Room Group

Fuel Shortage?

Just went to Morrisons. The dammed queue for fuel goes all the way around the carpark, out of the retail park and onto the road.

Never seen anything like it, it feels like some kind of communist country :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Classical Liberal
Just went to Morrisons. The dammed queue for fuel goes all the way around the carpark, out of the retail park and onto the road.

Never seen anything like it, it feels like some kind of communist country :tongue:

Are you at Teesside?

If you're not at Teesside, I'll be worried... :erm:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Are you at Teesside?

If you're not at Teesside, I'll be worried... :erm:

Malvern.

Just got an spam email around the entire office from somebody saying diesel is almost gone in a like a 10 mile radius and one of the local BPs is apparently dry.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Malvern.

Just got an spam email around the entire office from somebody saying diesel is almost gone in a like a 10 mile radius and one of the local BPs is apparently dry.

Yes, I've tried to confirm - it seems to be in most of the country. I've heard that many pumps are putting up minimum prices at £20-30 and the news says that lots of drivers are rushing to 'top up' or 'hoard it all in'.... Interesting...
The blo0dy energy secretary just told the country to 'double the amount of petrol you buy' - it's not quite an end of the world scene, but still very interesting :lol:
Reply 5
Bizarrely, despite all the rubbish in the media (well, Sky News), everywhere around here (South Hampshire) is pretty quiet, and the prices have come down 2p in the past few days too.
What we need is for the price of fuel to rise temporarily. That would stop all this panic buying and only people who actually need to fill up would buy at the higher price.

For some reason the prices at the pump seem rigid, is there some kind of price control mechanism?
A comment from the Sky News website:

[INDENT]Hmmm? Cynical it may be, but just a thought to consider. Panic buying = more revenue for the government in the form of taxes right at the end of the financial year? Artificially bumped up set of figures to give weight to a statement that they are fixing the economy when it suits? Who's to say that all this is just not instigated by our own government as a means to an end? After all, don't forget, they have still not confirmed that there is actually going to be a strike yet, have they?[/INDENT]

Unbelievable. The Tories deliberately induce panic buying knowing that
a) Milliband can't actually condemn the strike for fear of losing the financial support of the union and
b) it provides a golden opportunity for the petrol companies to up their profits enough to justify a healthy bit of support for the Tories come the next election.

Aren't we suffering enough already? Is there any justification at all for this concious and deliberate Tory attack on the ordinary member of the public?
isn't there also a bit panic buying of stamps as well after the announcement of price increases?
I have to laugh at the union accusing the government of screwing things up. This is exactly what they want, if everyone went about their lives in a normal way they wouldn't get either publicity or the satisfaction of slagging off the government.

Admittedly, the government did say some pretty stupid things. I just find the unions accusations laughable.
Our Morrisons is the same. Can't believe the Government essentially advised panic buying and stashing fuel in jerry cans, which is both dangerous AND illegal.

Whole thing is pretty crazy considering they haven't even declared a strike, and they need 7 days notice anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by kingsholmmad
Aren't we suffering enough already? Is there any justification at all for this concious and deliberate Tory attack on the ordinary member of the public?

Hey I'm definitely no fan of the tories but it isn't like they're forcing you to buy petrol. People have free will.

Everyone should know by now to ignore government advice lol
(edited 12 years ago)
The government are hyping it up so that they can blame the strikers for it. That means that the strikers will be under more pressure because of it.
Original post by cakefish
Hey I'm definitely no fan of the tories but it isn't like they're forcing you to buy petrol. People have free will.

They did advise people to go fill up their cars though, or store petrol in jerry cans. This was a massive mistake, it's both dangerous and illegal. Now they've had to backtrack and say 'No don't do that'.

People have free will but many would see that statement, as well as the strike threat, and go out and do it. If only we all had common sense eh? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
A comment from the Sky News website:

Well considering tomorrow is last day of Q1(2012) and the government is desperate to stave off inflation, this might just be the golden opportunity to bump up their retail sales........even better if tomorrow everyone panic buys and stockpiles on food supplies too..

End result :- Gideon's leadership allows UK to narrowly escape a double dip recession :smile:

Smart eh?
It is completely irresponsible of the government to advocate stocking up on fuel. They knew what would happen and should have tried to prevent it, not encourage it!
I read the fuel sales went up 50% more than what should be expected on a normal day in March...that was yesterday, cant imagine what it is today.

My partner is the night guard at tesco and their garage is meant to close at 10pm but was still open yesterday at midnight with cars lining up around an island, out of the tesco entrance and onto the main road...
Original post by cakefish

Everyone should know by now to ignore government advice lol

People also have an infinite capacity for stupidity. The problem, as much as anything, is with people who do have to buy petrol regularly. Florists, couriers, burger vans and 101 other occupations that can only bring money in with the use of a vehicle. There will be thousands upon thousands of them who were running a little bit low on Tuesday. There will be thousands upon thousands of them who cover enough miles that they need to fill up every day or every other day. The government makes these stupid statements; these traders have to spend an hour or so queueing for their fuel (probably with their engine running) which is time that they aren't earning any money.

Once again the government screws the ordinary person just to serve the interests of themselves and of big business.
Reply 19
Prime Minister: "There's no need to queue to buy petrol, but of course people should take sensible precautions - if there's an opportunity to top up your tank... then that's a sensible thing"

You retard, are you an amateur politician? Now there are massive queues at petrol stations blocking entire roads. Moron.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest