The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

How can I say the following in Spanish?:

-Contributing factors
-My viewpoint stands at...
-Although, we must consider that...
-If I were to have control...

Reply 8181
Could anyone help me just translate this one sentence? Please? :smile:

It's for a presentation on abortion for my Spanish speaking exam.

At times I ask myself: how would I feel if my mother had aborted me instead?

Me pregunto: como sentaria ....? and this is where I got lost :colondollar:
Original post by Doutzie
Could anyone help me just translate this one sentence? Please? :smile:

It's for a presentation on abortion for my Spanish speaking exam.

Me pregunto: como sentaria ....? and this is where I got lost :colondollar:

...si mi madre me hubiera abortado
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
How can I say the following in Spanish?:

-Contributing factors
-My viewpoint stands at...
-Although, we must consider that...
-If I were to have control...

1)factores contribuyentes
2)Can't think of a way of saying exactly that. I'd imagine such a construction doesn't really exist but you could something along the lines of:
"Desde mi punto de vista..." or "Mi punto de vista es que...".
3)Aunque debemos de tener en cuenta/considerar que
4) Si tuviera el control

(accents omitted)
Original post by ben-smith
1)factores contribuyentes
2)Can't think of a way of saying exactly that. I'd imagine such a construction doesn't really exist but you could something along the lines of:
"Desde mi punto de vista..." or "Mi punto de vista es que...".
3)Aunque debemos de tener en cuenta/considerar que
4) Si tuviera el control

(accents omitted)

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by Doutzie

A veces me pregunto: ¿cómo me sentiría si mi madre me hubiera abortado?"

(Which is a very odd question indeed...)
Just came across a phrase I couldn't translate without it sounding rigid.

1) We learn from our mistakes. (In to Spanish)

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Tom Atkinson
Just came across a phrase I couldn't translate without it sounding rigid.

1) We learn from our mistakes. (In to Spanish)

Thanks in advance!

aprendemos de nuestros errores
in French would you say 'il utilise la description qui nous fait comprends la vie pendant la guerre', or would it be nous fait comprendre?
Reply 8189
Can someone tell me if this actually makes any sense please? I'm at a very low level of Spanish so I don't really know at all...

Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan bueno como lo hace. que es solamente mi primero año, pero espero que voy a continuar gustando mi experiencia.
Original post by t('.'t)
Can someone tell me if this actually makes any sense please? I'm at a very low level of Spanish so I don't really know at all...

Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan bueno como lo hace. que es solamente mi primero año, pero espero que voy a continuar gustando mi experiencia.

Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan buena como ??. que es solamente mi primer año, pero espero que ??.

The ?? bits don't make any sense.
Reply 8191
Original post by Miss Mary
Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan buena como ??. que es solamente mi primer año, pero espero que ??.

The ?? bits don't make any sense.

Ah ok thank you, trying to write above what I've been taught... I'll just rewrite the whole thing in a simpler way
Reply 8192
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
in French would you say 'il utilise la description qui nous fait comprends la vie pendant la guerre', or would it be nous fait comprendre?

"Fait comprendre":smile:

Par exemple: "Tu m'a fait rire"
Reply 8193
Hi, I'm practising Spanish translation using the subjunctive for my A2 exam and I was wondering if someone could help me? :smile:

The sentence I am trying to translate is: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'

I know that when you have 'Cuando' in the future tense, it becomes the subjunctive, and is 'the project is developed' a passive? Or does it not become a passive because of the subjunctive?

If I were to say: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso', would that make sense? If not, what should I say? (please explain why!)

Thank you :smile:

tl;dr: Does this make sense: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso' if I want to say: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'?
Original post by liviluck
Hi, I'm practising Spanish translation using the subjunctive for my A2 exam and I was wondering if someone could help me? :smile:

The sentence I am trying to translate is: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'

I know that when you have 'Cuando' in the future tense, it becomes the subjunctive, and is 'the project is developed' a passive? Or does it not become a passive because of the subjunctive?

If I were to say: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso', would that make sense? If not, what should I say? (please explain why!)

tl;dr: Does this make sense: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso' if I want to say: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'?

Sounds ok to me
Reply 8195
Original post by Miss Mary
Sounds ok to me

Original post by liviluck

Hmm I'm not sure about the use of 'sea' because generally the phrase is 'estar desarrollado'..
It depends on the context of your sentence.
Are you trying to say when the project is fully developed (as in it has finished being developed?) Because then i'm pretty sure it would be with estar ... In the sense 'When the project is (finished being) developed, air traffic will be denser'
check out this word reference page for 'estar desarrollado' and see what you think: http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=developed

ser desarrollado would mean more in the sense it's still being developed. Like you'd say 'empezó a ser desarrollado' or 'está siendo desarrollado'
With 'cuando' it's more likely that they mean when it's finished being developed.

Hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure! Hopefully with what I've said we can work it out together :P
Reply 8197
Original post by princess.leia
Hmm I'm not sure about the use of 'sea' because generally the phrase is 'estar desarrollado'..
It depends on the context of your sentence.
Are you trying to say when the project is fully developed (as in it has finished being developed?) Because then i'm pretty sure it would be with estar ... In the sense 'When the project is (finished being) developed, air traffic will be denser'
check out this word reference page for 'estar desarrollado' and see what you think: http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=developed

ser desarrollado would mean more in the sense it's still being developed. Like you'd say 'empezó a ser desarrollado' or 'está siendo desarrollado'
With 'cuando' it's more likely that they mean when it's finished being developed.

Hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure! Hopefully with what I've said we can work it out together :P

That's interesting, thank you :smile:. The original sentence came from a grammar worksheet about using the subjunctive after certain expressions (such as 'cuando'), so do you think I should put estar into the subjunctive?
Hola,

this is going to sound really silly but I was wondering if someone could help me with some Spanish? I want to translate "the old capital" (as in capital city) and I thought it would be "la capital antigua" but on the mark scheme, it says it's "la antigua capital". I thought you could only put masculine adjectives in front of the noun, so I'm a bit confused.

Original post by alexsasg
Hola,

this is going to sound really silly but I was wondering if someone could help me with some Spanish? I want to translate "the old capital" (as in capital city) and I thought it would be "la capital antigua" but on the mark scheme, it says it's "la antigua capital". I thought you could only put masculine adjectives in front of the noun, so I'm a bit confused.

Hey, 'antigua' is part of a list of adjectives which have different meanings when put in front or after a noun. So before the noun it means 'former', and after it means 'old/ancient'. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest