The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danielm1206
I've decided to do 3 AS levels next year, Economics, Art and Literature and continue all 3 onto A2. I know that most students do 4 AS levels and 3 A2s; this year (I'm currently in year 11) I'm going to be sitting Philosophy & Ethics AS Level, so I would technically have 4 AS levels and 3 A2's.

However, is the fact that I didn't sit my Philosophy AS level at the same time as my AS levels a disadvantage? Should I do another AS level next year?

I'd like to do a degree in Graphic Design, so I need to do Art, and I'd like to have as much time as possible to spend on my art coursework etc, which is why I'd rather do 3 AS subjects next year :s-smilie:

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

I suggest you study 4 ASs in year 12 - the reason for this is not that you need 4, because you only need 3, but rather to give you options at the end of year 12. If you take only 3 there's a risk you'll not like or struggle with one of them, even if it seems unlikely now.
Reply 3181
How much math is involved in a lvl chem

and is the difficulty as hard as gcse
Reply 3182
Original post by YellowSmartie
Hi!
I've been really worried about my choices for A level and I'm trying to make sure my choices are beneficial to becoming a Midwife but ones I will enjoy doing also!

The 4 A levels I'm choosing are Biology, Psychology, English Lit and Religious Studies. I just want to know if these would be okay if I want to be a Midwife?

I know English Lit probably wouldn't be all that important to Midwifery but It's something I enjoy along with Religious Studies and I absolutely love the sound of the course description but the English Lit A level I would be willing to change if needed.

Biology and psychology are great for midwifery. The majority of universities will require you to have a science or social science to do midwifery, so biology is the ideal but it's good to have psychology in case you don't do so well in biology. Also, I've used a lot of the things I learnt during A Level psychology whilst doing the midwifery degree. If you've got those 2, the other subjects you choose don't matter so much, but RS and English Lit are good, especially if you think you will enjoy them.
Reply 3183
How much maths is actually involved in Economics A level? Ta :tongue:
Reply 3184
Original post by mintbear
How much maths is actually involved in Economics A level? Ta :tongue:

not much, just reading graphs and simple maths.
Reply 3185
Hello, I'm stuck between Psychology and Art and mainly confused about dropping a subject in the second year. I'm doing Biology and Chemistry (which I need full A levels for university), English Language (not sure, but I think good to have full A level) and Art OR Psychology. I'm willing to do a lot of coursework for Art and I think it's a good option between all the other Chemistry and Bio exams that I'll have to do. Also I think I'd feel and do better at compared to Psychology.
Another question, isn't it bad to drop a subject and continue with three A2's? What do universities think about AS's? If I'm doing good with four AS's does that mean I shouldn't drop any or? If I drop Art and have only AS does that mean universities will ignore it or?
Reply 3186
Original post by diggy
How much math is involved in a lvl chem

and is the difficulty as hard as gcse

There is quite a lot of maths, re arranging formulae and moles calculations etc.

I'd say a grade B GCSE is required
Hi! I'm choosing Biology, Environmental Studies, Chemistry and Classical Civilisation.
For GCSE, Im predicted B in Maths, A/A* in Additional Science, B in Eng Lit, B in Eng Lang, A in History, and the rest are B's.

I have heard how hard chem & bio are, do you think aslong as I put the effort in, I could get a AAB (bio, chem and enviro studies)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3188
Original post by fletchdd02
There is quite a lot of maths, re arranging formulae and moles calculations etc.

I'd say a grade B GCSE is required

Are they complex because with the GCSE chem equations after I know them I can do them
Reply 3189
Original post by diggy
Are they complex because with the GCSE chem equations after I know them I can do them

Erm I got taught how to do the A level moles calculations in my GCSE year because my teacher knew that about 95% of my class were taking it so I don't really know how its done in GCSE.
Original post by EnviroProtector
Hi! I'm choosing Biology, Environmental Studies, Chemistry and Classical Civilisation.
For GCSE, Im predicted B in Maths, A/A* in Additional Science, B in Eng Lit, B in Eng Lang, A in History, and the rest are B's.

I have heard how hard chem & bio are, do you think aslong as I put the effort in, I could get a AAB (bio, chem and enviro studies)

Environmental Studies is a soft and unrespected subject and History is a lot more respected than Classical Civilisation.If you were to take Enviornmental Studies you should only take it to AS because top universities will require 3 academic subjects to be took.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3191
Am I putting myself at a real disadvantage if I don't take a science at A-level?
I don't want to do a science degree, but am considering Geography, possibly as a BSc, so I can see the possible applications a science would have. I don't have anything against doing one, there's just other subjects I'd rather do. :smile:

I'm thinking of English Literature, Geography, Japanese and Government & Politics - is this broad enough though? Thank you! :s-smilie:
I need to decide what to choose out of Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Spanish as I am definetely doing Maths and History as I can can actually see me doing Maths/Law based as a future career and while I can see future careers in spanish, it just seems too hard at A-level? Also, as I'm not doing a science based subject as a future career I was wondering if I should even choose Physics or Biology? I thinking about doing them as I've heard physics helps with maths and I enjoy biology? And further maths as most university courses require me to have both Maths and Further Maths? And also, although this may be off topic, I am wondering if I was to do a financial career what is the difference in doing a Maths degree compared to an Economics degree?
Original post by HearingWhat?
I need to decide what to choose out of Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Spanish as I am definetely doing Maths and History as I can can actually see me doing Maths/Law based as a future career and while I can see future careers in spanish, it just seems too hard at A-level? Also, as I'm not doing a science based subject as a future career I was wondering if I should even choose Physics or Biology? I thinking about doing them as I've heard physics helps with maths and I enjoy biology? And further maths as most university courses require me to have both Maths and Further Maths? And also, although this may be off topic, I am wondering if I was to do a financial career what is the difference in doing a Maths degree compared to an Economics degree?

Physics won't help you with maths, it's just that maths helps with physics. If you're sure you want to do something maths related one day, further maths is a very good idea. And I advise against discarding Spanish just because it's hard. Hard subjects are the ones that get you somewhere in life, that's why they're hard! :smile:

Original post by Paramore<3
Am I putting myself at a real disadvantage if I don't take a science at A-level?
I don't want to do a science degree, but am considering Geography, possibly as a BSc, so I can see the possible applications a science would have. I don't have anything against doing one, there's just other subjects I'd rather do. :smile:

I'm thinking of English Literature, Geography, Japanese and Government & Politics - is this broad enough though? Thank you! :s-smilie:

Japanese is a great choice, could be very useful in the future. Perhaps you could do just one of the sciences, as it would help you in physical geography.

Original post by EnviroProtector

Yes - anyone can! How you do at A level depends entirely on how much effort you put in, GCSE grades are a poor indicator of how well you'll do :smile:

Original post by thu_
Hello, I'm stuck between Psychology and Art and mainly confused about dropping a subject in the second year. I'm doing Biology and Chemistry (which I need full A levels for university), English Language (not sure, but I think good to have full A level) and Art OR Psychology. I'm willing to do a lot of coursework for Art and I think it's a good option between all the other Chemistry and Bio exams that I'll have to do. Also I think I'd feel and do better at compared to Psychology.
Another question, isn't it bad to drop a subject and continue with three A2's? What do universities think about AS's? If I'm doing good with four AS's does that mean I shouldn't drop any or? If I drop Art and have only AS does that mean universities will ignore it or?

There's nothing wrong at all with dropping a subject: that's the reason you do 4 AS's, to give you choice :smile:
Reply 3194
But then is there any point in doing an AS if you're going to drop it? Does it help at all for university?
Original post by thu_
But then is there any point in doing an AS if you're going to drop it? Does it help at all for university?

some universities prefer a 4th AS, and it also gives you something to fall back on if another subject unexpectedly doesn't work out - you may find you struggle with a subject you thought you'd continue to A2 or that you no longer enjoy one subject so want to drop it. It's safer to have that 4th AS
Original post by Paramore<3

Would you be gaining anything from doing a science A-Level other than fulfilling any potential prerequisites for subjects? If not then I don't think you should do a science A level. It partially depends on how good you are at science also..

But your current subject choices are fine.
Reply 3197
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Japanese is a great choice, could be very useful in the future. Perhaps you could do just one of the sciences, as it would help you in physical geography.

Original post by Llewellyn
Would you be gaining anything from doing a science A-Level other than fulfilling any potential prerequisites for subjects? If not then I don't think you should do a science A level. It partially depends on how good you are at science also..

But your current subject choices are fine.

Thank you both! I think I've decided against it. A science would definitely be helpful, but even if I did take one I never planned to take it to A2, as I would prefer to carry on with the other three. The only reason I would be taking it would be to meet a possible requirement, yes. I am predicted A* in all of them (though obviously there's still plenty of scope for everything to go wrong :colondollar:) but hey ho. I think most Geography BA courses give you the flexibilty to choose BSc modules anyway. We shall see!
I'm close to leaving Secondary School and starting college and my A-Levels. I am certain that I want to do Ancient History. I also want to do English - combined Lit and Language. Do any of you do these subjects? If yes, how did you find/ are you finding them?

That leaves me with 2 more options. I really want to do something based on art and design, which is why I felt that Graphics would be great as I would love to go into design as a career. I really don't know much about it though, but I could always leave it at AS level rather than any of my other 3 subjects. I'd also love to do Fine Art.

So, my questions are:
a) Should I do Graphics or Fine art? If I only do one of these, what sort of thing should I do instead of the one I am not doing? OR,
b) Should I do both? I would love to do both.
c) Is anyone doing any of the underlined subjects? If yes, how did you find them/are you finding them?

I'd like to think that if I did both arts I'd have a good balance of Vocational and Academic, 2 being Vocational and 2 being Academic. I'd just love to do both arts but I'm worried I should do something more academic, though it'd be good to have a break with something I really enjoy. I'd probably drop one of the arts at AS.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appriciated!!!!
Reply 3199
Hello, I made a thread before but just to clarify.

I want to get into a good Law school (preferably Durham/Warwick/Newcastle and at least 1 in London; perhaps Kings or LSE) but i'm undecided about my A Levels.

Here are my 5:

Philosophy and Ethics: Im very good at debating and critical thinking.
Law: I have a high interest and willingness to succeed in it.
Sociology: The study of society interests me greatly.
German: I love languages. I started off on the wrong foot with it but now im dedicated. I speak 2 at the moment, not including German.
English Lit: Very good at English Lit GCSE.

Sensibly speaking; I can only handle 4 A Levels max. Which one, if I want to get into a good law school, should I drop? I am in the process of choosing them now.

Help Please :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest