The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sauce
I'm always sooo hungry in the evenings. Is it OK to save the majority of my calories for the evening? Also may I ask how many calories a day is everyone on?

I hope it is! I usually do that, as pathetic as it is I like having the food to look forward to :P It works for me, if I eat more earlier I usually wind up spending the evening hungry lol.
___

Having to race on Saturday morning now, its not a serious race but still going to be really special given I doubt I'll get much sleep between tomorrow and Friday, and I'm not really willing to give up my yay I've finished my degree night out for it on Friday night :P At least I won't get a choice whether to exercise on Saturday or not! And its not till noon, and obvs I can't go to the gym before, so I can have my first guilt free lie in for a good couple of months! :biggrin:
Original post by sauce
Thanks, that's helpful. Have you always been on roughly that amount may I ask? Sorry to hear your Dad is ill, hope he gets better soon. Sounds like you've been a busy calorie burning bee though :smile:

Well when I first started dieting I used to go to Rosemary Conley classes, so I did her special 'fat burning'/'inch loss' diet or whatever it was called :p: It was strictly 1200 calories per day for two weeks, and then 1400kcals for another two weeks and then they put me on 1600, because at the time I was a lot heavier. But I lost two stone in two months on the RC diet, bearing in mind I was 19st when I started.

Then I joined MFP around a year ago and 1500kcals was the goal it gave me and I've been on that ever since :smile:

Thank you, he's okay though - he's just got chickenpox - at 48! :tongue:

Also in answer to your other question, I tend to eat more in the evenings as well, probably because I'm not doing as much! I think the 'don't eat after 6pm' thing is a myth, weight loss wise :smile: I'd try and have my dinner a bit earlier and just have some light snacks in the evenings if you think you might feel ill lying on a full stomach :smile: Maybe crackers and cream cheese/houmous and fruit? If you're not hitting calorie goals go for the non low-fat versions :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nut.
You'll only get flabby if you eat too much and gain fat.
The body doesn't convert muscle into fat when you stop using it (though if you don't do some form of weight-bearing exercise muscle size will decrease).

Being "toned" is much more about losing body fat than it is gaining muscle, and the only way to do that is with a calorie deficit.
That's why people say that abs are made in the kitchen.

If you want to look at your best and not end up skinny fat then weights/resistance training are recommended (though we've all seen that kid in year 9 who thinks he's all that because he's so skinny his abs have to show through and he thinks that qualifies him as batman).

I've set my calories as 1190 a day but I earn it back from exercise. My calorie-burning goal per week is 2500. Does that sound reasonable? If I do bodyrock.tv 30 day challenge every day - apart from the "active rest" weekends and 30DS (I do 30DS two days then one day cardio and repeat) a week. Would that help me lose weight? I have been losing weight but not from my belly which is a pain is there anything I can do about that or does it just take more time?

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37556758']Quick search shows that Asda sell it for £1 for a litre (Alpro Almond Milk). Sainsbury's and Tesco's sell the same thing, but for £1.80/£1.70.
You can also make almond milk yourself

That is AWESOME! :biggrin: I might have to have a crack at milking almonds, I mean I've already milked cows, so why not an almond? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by phiddy23
Welcome! You have pretty much the same stats as me and it sounds like you're probably having similar problems to me, so I know what you're going through! Have you got an account on myfitnesspal? It is a seriously amazing way of tracking what you are eating although I pretty much completely ignore the nutrient goals it set for me (way too many carbs and not enough protein)

Thanks :smile: I have an account on MFP but only started using it recently. It's really helpful and I feel like I've learned loads just reading the message boards. I'm quite bad at remembering to log my food but I've started doing that too and it seems useful.

I feel really nauseous this evening. I have an exam tomorrow and couldn't much be bothered with making a fancy dinner so it was really horrible. Half a tin of tuna, green beans and mushrooms. Probably because I'm not feeling well but just thinking about it makes me want to throw up. I'm not certain I ate quite enough today but I feel too sick to eat anything else. Not sure why, I don't think I'm ill. As long as it's better by tomorrow...
Reply 3384
so I'd guess I've eaten a maximum of, say, 1400-1500 calories today? Yet I still feel like a failure :frown:
Reply 3385
Original post by amizzle91
Well when I first started dieting I used to go to Rosemary Conley classes, so I did her special 'fat burning'/'inch loss' diet or whatever it was called :p: It was strictly 1200 calories per day for two weeks, and then 1400kcals for another two weeks and then they put me on 1600, because at the time I was a lot heavier. But I lost two stone in two months on the RC diet, bearing in mind I was 19st when I started.

Then I joined MFP around a year ago and 1500kcals was the goal it gave me and I've been on that ever since :smile:

Thank you, he's okay though - he's just got chickenpox - at 48! :tongue:

Also in answer to your other question, I tend to eat more in the evenings as well, probably because I'm not doing as much! I think the 'don't eat after 6pm' thing is a myth, weight loss wise :smile: I'd try and have my dinner a bit earlier and just have some light snacks in the evenings if you think you might feel ill lying on a full stomach :smile: Maybe crackers and cream cheese/houmous and fruit? If you're not hitting calorie goals go for the non low-fat versions :smile:

This was really helpful, can't rep again yet :frown:

Do you stick to any nutrient goals? Or cut anything out?
Reply 3386
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
I've set my calories as 1190 a day but I earn it back from exercise. My calorie-burning goal per week is 2500. Does that sound reasonable? If I do bodyrock.tv 30 day challenge every day - apart from the "active rest" weekends and 30DS (I do 30DS two days then one day cardio and repeat) a week. Would that help me lose weight? I have been losing weight but not from my belly which is a pain is there anything I can do about that or does it just take more time?

You can't choose where the fat will come off your body. The stomach is usually one of the first areas to be deposited on, along with the hips, legs, and backside for women (and the upper arms). Generally speaking if it's the first thing on, it'll be the last off.

Try not to focus completely on your belly fat, and remember that you are still losing fat from elsewhere, which will improve the appearance of your arms or calves or wherever else.

Also be aware when you are eating back calories that the number of calories burned by exercise includes your BMR burn over that period.
If you run for 3 miles and it's said that this burns 300kcals, it isn't 300kcals on top of your BMR.
Scientists measure calorie burn by measuring carbon dioxide release with masks over peoples faces, and this includes BMR.
The actual calorie burn for that jog would be more likely to be 200-250kcals, so just be aware when you're "eating back" calories.
Original post by sauce
This was really helpful, can't rep again yet :frown:

Do you stick to any nutrient goals? Or cut anything out?

I probably should cut down on my carbs and sugar (pasta = my best friend) because i always go over my goal on MFP, but i just cant give up potatoes, pasta, bread etc. I don't eat much meat either so low carb would severely limit my food choice haha

I try to eat low fat things as much as i can but that's more because of stomach issues than trying to lose more weight :smile: Though eating low fat hasn't hindered my loss :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I totally just copied everyone and downloaded the app too, it's awesome :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3389
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37563756']I generally eat more in the late afternoons/evenings - it's just when I get hungriest. I've never found it to cause me any problems sleeping (I'm like you - I struggle to sleep if I'm really hungry)

-----

Mmmm, stir fry for dinner. Was feeling lazy, so I bought one of those pre-chopped veg packs, the straight-to-wok noodles, and a sauce. Lazy but delicious :tongue:

I love stir fry. I buy the veg separately and chop it all up - cabbage, beansprouts, red onion, pepper, mangetout, mushrooms... and I flavour it with light soy sauce & a bit of Lea&Perrins... chuck in some chicken or prawns. Nom!
I have DOMS this morning :biggrin:. Bit painful, but the reason I'm so happy is because it shows I've actually worked my muscles PROPERLY for pretty much the first time ever!

I need to do something cardio wise today. I have a lot of work to do (should be doing it now since it's past 9am but never mind) but hopefully I will add in some exercise at some point. Mum wants to go shopping and I don't want to, because I really don't want to be buying new clothes right now. I have enough to see me through a couple more weeks, and I know that by then I will be pretty much the size I'm settling at.. so not much point spending money on things that probably aren't going to fit by the time I reach my goal weight anyway!
Run time :smile:

Undecided on how far I'm planning to go, think I'll decide once I get out there and see how warm it is.
I so need to cutback on my sugar
2.6 miles in 30 minutes :smile: Plus, made it further up the hill than last time (I live up a massive hill). One day I WILL make it all the way to the top.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37572544']2.6 miles in 30 minutes :smile: Plus, made it further up the hill than last time (I live up a massive hill). One day I WILL make it all the way to the top.

W00p! Way to go =)
Original post by The_Goose
W00p! Way to go =)

Now time to treat myself to a tasty brekkie (poached egg, seeded toast with marmite and a glass of juice) and a nice hot shower :smile:
hi guys,
I don't know if anyone knows about www.beforeandafterweightlosspics.tumblr.com/ but it's a great motivator so I thought I'd share. I literally go on it every single day and it reminds me to take each day at a time and keep going I think you can also add your own pictures :smile:
-10 minute walk.
-Bit of weight work.
-40 mins on exercise bike.

After a couple of days of doing not very much exercise at all I feel much better after even just doing this small amount!
Finishing Uni/exams on Friday (this post clearly isn't me avoiding revision for a while..) and decided I need to make some kind of plan for the summer with fitness/food etc. Mainly want to focus on fitness because I think I'm pretty much there with the food, apart from the occasional slip up but that's always going to be there, just gotta make sure it's less and less often, which I think it is. I've posted here a few times before, but nothing particularly in depth so here goes I guess.

Starting Weight (June 2010): 14st10
Lowest Weight (May 2011): 9st12
Current weight (May 2012): 11st4

So, basically, I lost a lot of weight in a year (2010/2011) but I did it REALLY unhealthily - didn't really eat, and didn't do any exercise at all. I was pretty happy with how I looked at 9st12 (well, in clothes at least) but I wasn't happy how I was eating, so I started eating more, but eating better - loads more vegetables, wholegrain stuff, less processed food, barely any fast food etc. - but because I'd essentially gone into starvation mode, a lot of my weight gain was rehydration and just generally eating more, even though my calories weren't that high - rarely more than 1500 I'd say.

I'm looking to start doing more exercise, because I'm happy enough being a size 12 but I just want to tone up and look a bit better. I really want to be one of these people that love the gym or whatever but I'm not entirely sure that's going to happen haha!

Any tips would be very welcome. Sorry for the long post!!
Mmm, nice salad for lunch.
Peri peri chicken breast, garlic and herb olives, red onion, cherry tomatoes and mixed leaves. Dressed with a little of the oil from the olives and balsamic vinegar :love:

Latest