The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 extended diploma in health and social care for childrens nursing?

Hi

I am pondering on whether to choose between A-levels or BTEC level 3 for health and social care?

I aim to go to university and study the children's nursing course. Having looked at various universities and their requirements, they accept both.

However, I would like to know what route would give me the best possible to chance to get into uni provided I achieve the required grades!!!

Thank you for reading xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i did that BTEC course and i'm going into uni with it. im doing adult nursing :smile:
I would advise this course instead of A levels because of the amount of work experience you will do with this course. You will not get into uni without any experience, especially for childrens nursing :smile:
also everything i learnt in my BTEC h+s lessons was relevent to care. There's so many units you do with the BTEC and it is all useful to know. I do one alevel as well as my BTEC (sociology) and i really would say go for the BTEC.. I find all the work interesting as well becuase everything we learn is related to what i want to do... (and what you want to do becasue you also want to do a nursing course) :biggrin:
Reply 2
How hard is the course would you say? xxx Thank you so much for your help!!xxxx congrats for uni!!!xxxx
Reply 3
i find it a lot easier then the alevel sociology, i think its cause i enjoy it!

it is ALL coursework alot of people find that easier.. as its coursework you can keep re-doing things to get it right, or to a better grade :smile: (you want to do child nursing which is really competetive so get the top grades :wink: )
if you keep up to date with the coursework, you will be fine with it
people in my class have fallen behind and are finding it hard to catch up because we only have a few more weeks left, so if you choose it dont fall behind :smile:

and thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you sooo much!!! do you find the work load managable doing an extra a-level on top? I am thinking of possibly doing either Pyschology or english lang/lit on top but i'm not sure how much work there is for the BTEC?

Does the course require lots of home study too or is it mainly done at college?
What uni are you going to? I would love to be in your position right now!!! xxx
Reply 5
Well my btec is all coursework.. and sociology is all exam so it works out pretty good.. the work load is manageable as long as you keep up to date with it, i havent really found it a problem :smile: i do find sociology really hard though haha, i just hate exams! i think i have more free time then people who only do alevels tbh
well i write up all my notes on paper, and either in a free lesson or at home i will write it all up in my assignment :smile:
i'm going to sheffield hallam x
Reply 6
i also got interviews with manchester uni and kings college london - so btecs are good and just as much value as alevels :smile:
Reply 7
Well done that's so good!! :biggrin: I phoned up Greenwich University today out of interest as I am close to there...they told me they take no preference over A-levels or BTEC however they do want to see a substantial amount of work experience in a "health environment" xxx
Reply 8
yeah the btec course makes you do lots of work experience
and with any kind of nursing you have to have experience :smile:
Reply 9
do BTEC course, because the course you want to apply for requires a lot of work experience and with alevels you do not gain that.hope this helps x
Reply 10
Hi!

I'm just about to finish my last assignment for the BTEC level 3 in Health and Social and I've been accepted into UWE for Children's Nursing.

I am so glad that I decided to go to college and study this, rather then do A-levels. Like everyone else has said, you get so much more experience and I think it then allows you to help make your personal statement better because you have a lot to talk about! :smile:

I've done 6 placements, 4 block weeks and then the rest one day a week apart from holidays. I've been able to have a hospital placement on an adult ward and on a maternity ward (looking after the babies!!), another in a nursery, another in a preschool with children with additional health needs (like epilepsy etc), a residential home and a primary school helping the children.

Altogether there are 18 units you need to complete, it's not easy and it does take up a lot of time, but theres no exams and as long as you stay up to date, you should be fine! I think the units that have been the most useful to me are communication, anatomy and physiology, physiological disorders, psychology, development through life stages, physiology of fluid balance, public health and also caring for children and young people!

Each unit has around 3-4 assignments each and they can be either presentations, essays, discussions or posters etc.. so therefore you have many opportunities to practice everything that you will have to do in university!

Feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Hope I've helped too!!

Gina :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Sing-Away
Hi!

I'm just about to finish my last assignment for the BTEC level 3 in Health and Social and I've been accepted into UWE for Children's Nursing.

I am so glad that I decided to go to college and study this, rather then do A-levels. Like everyone else has said, you get so much more experience and I think it then allows you to help make your personal statement better because you have a lot to talk about! :smile:

I've done 6 placements, 4 block weeks and then the rest one day a week apart from holidays. I've been able to have a hospital placement on an adult ward and on a maternity ward (looking after the babies!!), another in a nursery, another in a preschool with children with additional health needs (like epilepsy etc), a residential home and a primary school helping the children.

Altogether there are 18 units you need to complete, it's not easy and it does take up a lot of time, but theres no exams and as long as you stay up to date, you should be fine! I think the units that have been the most useful to me are communication, anatomy and physiology, physiological disorders, psychology, development through life stages, physiology of fluid balance, public health and also caring for children and young people!

Each unit has around 3-4 assignments each and they can be either presentations, essays, discussions or posters etc.. so therefore you have many opportunities to practice everything that you will have to do in university!

Feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Hope I've helped too!!

Gina :smile:

Hey!
Oh my gossshhh thank you so much for your reply! xxx
This has helped so much! Wow!!! That sounds so goood - I really really like the idea of the placements - that seems so beneficial! Thank you so much!! What parts did you find hard about the course?
That sounds so much more suited to me than A-levels - although exams don't bother me too much - i have always found to enjoy coursework a lot more because i am able to take my time over it!
Well done for getting into UWE! I bet you're so excited - good luck for when you start - you'll do great i'm sure!!! :biggrin: I just have little question but no worries if you can't answer it yet because you aren't at uni yet but my fear about children's nursing is the maths...:s-smilie: I managed a C at GCSE but I have always struggled with maths, do you have any idea of the level of maths difficulty involved with childrens nursing?
And also how did you find college life? i've been told college is a lot different to school? With the health and social care course is it all day 5 times a week? as I know with some other courses at college it might only be half a day?
Ohhh and just about placement - what sort of things do you do on placement - say when you were at the hospital? And were you on placement on your own or were you with other students from your course?
I understand you are probably super busy at the moment so it's fine if you can't answer them pahaha!!xxxx
Thank you so much again :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
No problem :smile:

Placements are the best :smile: I've learnt so much that theory can't teach you, such as building relationships with patients and their families in the hardest times and learning different skills which you can put into practice in your every day life! :smile:

I think the hardest thing for me was doing all of the units, in my college, you do around 5 units at a time and it can all get a bit much sometimes, but I think that's because I didn't do all of it when I was given it (another words, I left it until last minute but I've learnt that that isn't a good idea! haha :smile:) Also, I've been aiming for distinctions all throughout the course even though I only need 2 distinctions and a merit overall, but I suggest that if you can, you try your hardest to get the highest grades in each unit.

I SUCK at Maths, not going to lie! I failed 2/4 maths tests in my uni interviews and I only just managed to get a C. But the good thing about UWE is that they gave you a basic maths test verbally which was very simple, although I think that there is another maths exam when I start, but I can start revising that throughout the summer. If you go on the university of southampton website, I think that there is a practice paper, that will give you an idea of the questions :smile: if not, just google it and you'll find one :smile:

I am very very very excited! But at the moment, I'm very nervous too because I'm coming to the end of my course and it's all becoming real!!

I enjoy college life because I'm treated more as an adult. I like not being forced to do my work or go into college because at the end of the day, I know I'm responsible for my grades and that's exactly what it's going to be like at uni. I think at 6th form, you'll be babied quite a lot as it is compulsory to go in.

At the moment, my timetable is Monday 9-5, Tuesday 11:45-5, Wednesday 11:30-5, Thursday is placement and Friday is a home study day, although I can go in for support if I want it :smile: I think hours vary between colleges so you'd need to ask about that :smile:

Finding the placements are mainly my responsibility, we have a work placement officer who sorted out the NHS but otherwise, I had to find my own. It's compulsory to do at least 100 hours per year and in the second year to have at least 3 placements. I was on placement by myself although some other people were in the hospital, but we were all assigned different wards. I was basically only allowed to observe, however I was allowed to complete observations (blood pressure, pulse, respiration rate, temperature) with the nurses supervision. I liked being able to observe because I've learnt SO much, I've even needed to deal with deaths of patients which is useful for my career as I know I'll come across it sadly :/

I hope I've helped! anymore questions, please don't worry about asking!

Gina xx

Original post by Pippie2222
Hey!
Oh my gossshhh thank you so much for your reply! xxx
This has helped so much! Wow!!! That sounds so goood - I really really like the idea of the placements - that seems so beneficial! Thank you so much!! What parts did you find hard about the course?
That sounds so much more suited to me than A-levels - although exams don't bother me too much - i have always found to enjoy coursework a lot more because i am able to take my time over it!
Well done for getting into UWE! I bet you're so excited - good luck for when you start - you'll do great i'm sure!!! :biggrin: I just have little question but no worries if you can't answer it yet because you aren't at uni yet but my fear about children's nursing is the maths...:s-smilie: I managed a C at GCSE but I have always struggled with maths, do you have any idea of the level of maths difficulty involved with childrens nursing?
And also how did you find college life? i've been told college is a lot different to school? With the health and social care course is it all day 5 times a week? as I know with some other courses at college it might only be half a day?
Ohhh and just about placement - what sort of things do you do on placement - say when you were at the hospital? And were you on placement on your own or were you with other students from your course?
I understand you are probably super busy at the moment so it's fine if you can't answer them pahaha!!xxxx
Thank you so much again :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Sing-Away
No problem :smile:

Placements are the best :smile: I've learnt so much that theory can't teach you, such as building relationships with patients and their families in the hardest times and learning different skills which you can put into practice in your every day life! :smile:

I think the hardest thing for me was doing all of the units, in my college, you do around 5 units at a time and it can all get a bit much sometimes, but I think that's because I didn't do all of it when I was given it (another words, I left it until last minute but I've learnt that that isn't a good idea! haha :smile:) Also, I've been aiming for distinctions all throughout the course even though I only need 2 distinctions and a merit overall, but I suggest that if you can, you try your hardest to get the highest grades in each unit.

I SUCK at Maths, not going to lie! I failed 2/4 maths tests in my uni interviews and I only just managed to get a C. But the good thing about UWE is that they gave you a basic maths test verbally which was very simple, although I think that there is another maths exam when I start, but I can start revising that throughout the summer. If you go on the university of southampton website, I think that there is a practice paper, that will give you an idea of the questions :smile: if not, just google it and you'll find one :smile:

I am very very very excited! But at the moment, I'm very nervous too because I'm coming to the end of my course and it's all becoming real!!

I enjoy college life because I'm treated more as an adult. I like not being forced to do my work or go into college because at the end of the day, I know I'm responsible for my grades and that's exactly what it's going to be like at uni. I think at 6th form, you'll be babied quite a lot as it is compulsory to go in.

At the moment, my timetable is Monday 9-5, Tuesday 11:45-5, Wednesday 11:30-5, Thursday is placement and Friday is a home study day, although I can go in for support if I want it :smile: I think hours vary between colleges so you'd need to ask about that :smile:

Finding the placements are mainly my responsibility, we have a work placement officer who sorted out the NHS but otherwise, I had to find my own. It's compulsory to do at least 100 hours per year and in the second year to have at least 3 placements. I was on placement by myself although some other people were in the hospital, but we were all assigned different wards. I was basically only allowed to observe, however I was allowed to complete observations (blood pressure, pulse, respiration rate, temperature) with the nurses supervision. I liked being able to observe because I've learnt SO much, I've even needed to deal with deaths of patients which is useful for my career as I know I'll come across it sadly :/

I hope I've helped! anymore questions, please don't worry about asking!

Gina xx

Oh wowwww thank you so muccch for all of this!
It's helped so much - I have a good idea of what to expect now I think! Placement sounds so useful and interesting!!!! Arrr that must have been hard to deal with :-( but as you say, it's something we have to be able to deal with...:frown: Wow that's so coool you were able to at least do a few little things! Did you wear a uniform or were you just in your own clothes? Ohh noooo i am so baad tooooo :frown: Well you can't be that bad to have got into UWE!!!!xxxx I think I may have to hire out a maths tutor - pahahaha!:s-smilie: What sort of maths was it on the tests? and if you fail the maths tests does that mean you won't get offered a place? :s-smilie: it's really worrying me :s-smilie: !!!!
Ohhhh ok those hours seem what I was pretty much expecting - but I guess the different colleges will arrange different hours - I have an induction day/interview in a few weeks so I will hopefully found out then the hours etc! Yes!!!! I agree - I think college life is less of a leap to university than when you come from 6th form!!
Oh my gossh!! don't worry!!xxx goooood luck - just try not to worry too much and enjoy all the excitement :-D !!xxxx Just think how amazing it will be when you finish uni and officially became a children's nurse!!! :biggrin: xxxx
Did you do an extra A-level on top of the BTEC?
I spoke to the head of course at the College I will hopefully be going to - and I told her that I wanted to study to become a Children's Nurse and she said that it's a lovely job and lots of people from the course go on to do that - but she said it is getting so competitive now and she recommends me to do an extra A-level on top such as Biology or Psychology. If you didn't do an extra A-levels do you know anyone on your course that did? Do you know how well they coped with the work load etc?
(please please please don't worry if you don't have time to answer back!!! xxxxx)
Thank you so much!!!xxxxxx :heart:
Reply 14
Hi, just a bit for me to add, I am at college at the moment and have just completed the advanced diploma in society health and development and the 1 year btec in health and social care, I had 5 interview for university and have received an offer from nottingham for child nursing which was my first choice. Personally I have found the courses quite easy, just alot of paperwork!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by ClaraCluck
Hi, just a bit for me to add, I am at college at the moment and have just completed the advanced diploma in society health and development and the 1 year btec in health and social care, I had 5 interview for university and have received an offer from nottingham for child nursing which was my first choice. Personally I have found the courses quite easy, just alot of paperwork!!!!

Well done that is so good!!
Good luck for when you start!!
Thank you for the encouragement too!!!
Reply 16
I do the BTEC course, I'm just in the process of doing the extended diploma and have applied for sociology & criminology at university so this course can get you into all sorts of pathways!

I'd definitely recommend it due to the amount of placement you do which is awesome for personal statements!!

Good luck!!
Original post by cdouglas_
I do the BTEC course, I'm just in the process of doing the extended diploma and have applied for sociology & criminology at university so this course can get you into all sorts of pathways!

I'd definitely recommend it due to the amount of placement you do which is awesome for personal statements!!

Good luck!!

Hi i am new to this student room and i wanted help on BTEC coursework units
Thanks
Kay Smithy x
Personally, I think you should do the BTEC!
I'm currently doing Health and Social Care Level 3 and I'm hoping to go to university :biggrin: and the amount of hours for placement will be extremely useful :biggrin:! You do about 300 hours throughout the 2 years and I'm currently in my first year and I'm over half way there for my hours :biggrin:!
And some units are related to children :biggrin:!
Good luck :biggrin:!
Reply 19
I have just finished my 2nd year and going to uni in September.. Units we done were..

communication
equality and diversity
health and safety
sociology
psychology
caring for children and young people
protection of vulnerable adults
300 hours of placement
complementary therapies
public health
nutrition
anatomy and physiology