The Student Room Group

'Locked-in syndrome' man's right-to-die case starts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Happydude
I'd take your advice, but I have no idea how successful you have been in life so it may not really be that useful.

By usual measures I have been very successful on several occasions and now I'm not. By my own measure I am more successful now than I have ever been, I am doing what I want to do and have (almost) all I need. I have not succeeded at everything I have done, not by a long chalk. When you start your med degree I will be starting my law degree.

Cheers anyway! (Perhaps it would be more apt to say that I have no idea who are and what you are like, rather than how successful. That just seems shallow :smile: )

Not really shallow, all we have is what we see written here. I saw an initial post which shouted arrogance and responded to that. Whether it reflected the real you is another question. It was how you presented at that time, and in the middle of an interesting thread.

Also, incessantly patronising me doesn't stand you in good stead. :biggrin:

For what? Anyway, I'm old enough to be your father, I'm a bloke, it's hard to avoid being patronising. I can be avuncular if you prefer.

ps imagine how different this might have been if you had lead with the post you finally put some meat into rather than the 'post d'ennuie'. (sorry, that was patronising. And lousy Franglaise)
Original post by thomaskurian89
If I was in his position, I probably wouldn't want to die. That's because I'm a mathematician, and I don't think his condition would severely impair my ability to do maths. That said, I would want to have the right to die.

That is exactly the attitude that should prevail. No one should feel compelled but everyone should have the choice. I think I'm with you, I would want to see my daughter grow up, listen to music and watch reruns of Big Bang and Rumpole.

I think it is sad that some other severly disabled people are arguing against his right simply because they personally don't want to die. The same happened with the Debbie Purdy case.
Reply 142
I don't understand how people can argue against this by saying that people would suddenly be allowed to murder their slightly disabled relatives. This man can fully communicate and has expressed that he wants to die, if he and others can do that and go before the courts to put forward their case, I don't understand why somebody who has no comprehension of what his life is like can tell him that he has to stay alive and continue suffering. This is completely different to a person who cannot communicate dying because someone else thinks they don't have a good quality of life.
That's grim and I hope his wish is granted. I don't think the law necessarily has to be changed; our legal system has a certain amount of flexibility which should be employed in exceptional cases such as this.
Reply 144
Original post by Unkempt_One
That's grim and I hope his wish is granted. I don't think the law necessarily has to be changed; our legal system has a certain amount of flexibility which should be employed in exceptional cases such as this.

The problem is that the person who wants to die won't know that their relatives will be ok, since the trial/investigation will only take place after their death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending