The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Penicillin!
Reply 2
human genome project as it can be used for preventative methods and if that doesn't quite count as 'medical' then anaesthetic because think about how much surgery has advanced since its use.

anyway, why don't you read up about this sort of thing yourself? :smile: it's interesting and there's no wrong or right answer to this type of question, it's your opinion. so if you find something you're passionate about and CERTAIN is the greatest medical breakthrough in the last century, you'll be able to talk about it knowledgably (= impressive) as opposed to just reciting what you read on a forum making you sound like you're on autocue :p:
ph9
human genome project as it can be used for preventative methods and if that doesn't quite count as 'medical' then anaesthetic because think about how much surgery has advanced since its use.

anyway, why don't you read up about this sort of thing yourself? :smile: it's interesting and there's no wrong or right answer to this type of question, it's your opinion. so if you find something you're passionate about and CERTAIN is the greatest medical breakthrough in the last century, you'll be able to talk about it knowledgably (= impressive) as opposed to just reciting what you read on a forum making you sound like you're on autocue :p:

i'm not convinced that being CERTAIN about it is the way to approach this. i think the first point would be recognising that there have been many amazing advances but the one that stands out to you personally is x because y. that way they're not going to be like, so what about z, isn't that valuable.
Reply 4
discovery of DNA.
Penicillin
Chemotherapy
Human Genome
Radiological advances

There are loads of them. :smile:
Reply 6
Saffie
discovery of structure of DNA.

Sorry to be a pedant :p:
Formica

surely noticing that it exists is worthy of a mention....
Reply 8
The introduction of public health services in most countries is a good, and unexpected one, as it is ethical rather then scientific. You can then argue the benefits of public over private health systems :biggrin:
Reply 9
bright star
surely noticing that it exists is worthy of a mention....

But that wasn't in the last 100 years. The actual discovery of DNA was in 1869.
oh, i just hadn't really read the opening post. i was just thinking generally.
Reply 11
development of penicillin ... cortisone ... dna structure ... streptomycin ... theres loads to choose from!
Reply 12
Formica
that's what i meant ;dry;
Reply 13
Discovery of the double helix.
Reply 14
Tip: it's not really what you say.
I doubt any panel asking this would have a list of 3 deemed most appropriate answers - it's an incredibly subjective question & the members probably wouldn't all choose the same thing! Providing you can say something, otherwise your silence means no tick in the 'awareness of medicine in society and hot topics' or 'common sense' box... :wink:

It's why & how you say it.
= can you justify your decisions, do you understand how scientific research can influence patient care, are you eloquent and enthusiastic?
vaccinations and insulin are 2 that spring to mind - I have a son with diabetes who wouldn't be alive without insulin.
Most important thing to happen to the medical profession:
Me, getting in to it.
Reply 17
Very modest of you spender wells. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Past present and future... Antibiotics, Gene Therapy and Stem Cell Treatments.
Reply 19
Gene therapy only works for a certain amount of time though; you have to make constant trips to the hospital to get rid of the cells with the 'faulty gene'.

Latest