The Student Room Group
i did cold mountain last year and got an A on the paper and didn't read the book... i only read york notes and made notes on it...
i highly recommend learning york notes... dont worry about quotes, i didn't quote at all in my answer and got 3 marks off full marks (assuming your doing AQA spec A...) :smile: haha x
Reply 2
all i can remember from last year

not a madman but inman

cold mountain soared in his mind as a place where all his scattered forces could gather

the shadow of the crow
Reply 3
I dont even do cold mountain but look what I found :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.westberks.org/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupID=346&ResourceId=34869

that will help lots of you lot out :smile:
Reply 4
Nicolish
I dont even do cold mountain but look what I found :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.westberks.org/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupID=346&ResourceId=34869

that will help lots of you lot out :smile:

Ooo, thank you :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 5
Kristenellen
i did cold mountain last year and got an A on the paper and didn't read the book... i only read york notes and made notes on it...
i highly recommend learning york notes... dont worry about quotes, i didn't quote at all in my answer and got 3 marks off full marks (assuming your doing AQA spec A...) :smile: haha x

Lol! I have York Notes for all the three texts I'm doing (CM, A woman of no importantance and Duffy poetry), and they are gonna single handedly get me through the exam. The examiners can't mark you down if they recognise that's where your answers from, right?
Reply 6
Ada:

All of her life though, her father had kept her back from the hardness of work

A creature not entirely fit for the society of men and women

All of her Charleston friends had expressed the opinion that the Mountain region was a heathenish part of creation where man grew gaunt and brutal

The Blue Mountains seemed to be holding her where she was. All she could see around her was all she could count on.

She did not the answers but she could feel them coming and Ruby was her principal text

She collected the tale of Ruby’s life in pieces

Sweet pleasant work (referring to peeling apples)

Ada decided that the signs were a way of being alert

In a letter to Inman:

• My skin is brown as a penny from being outdoors all day

• She found it odd and deceitful that she had not mentioned Ruby

She believed she would erect towers

(to Inman) All your grief hasn’t changed a thing. But if you go on it’s knowing that you carry your scars with you

Ruby:

Ada thought she saw in her a spark as bright and hard as one struck with steel and flint- absence of mother

The plants were growing well because they had been planted in accordance with the signs

She carried her umbrella over her shoulder like a Woodward huntsman toting a rifle

Ruby leaned against Ada’s shins like they were a ladder

Inman:

Cold Mountain, all of its ridges and coves. He said their names like words of incarnations and spells to ward off the things one fears most.

Cold Mountain scattered in his mind where all his scattered forces might gather.

This journey will be the axle of my life

Dogs: Rushing out of the dark to rip his legs with jaws like scythes

He had grown so used to seeing death that it no longer seemed dark or mysterious

He dreamt he lived in a world where he had the power to either fly from enemies or laugh them away

He doubted there was any man emptier than he at that moment.

He scrubbed with soap until his skin felt raw.

Any wound might heal on the skin side but keep burrowing inward to a man’s core until it ate him up.

Sara (compare this to Ada) :

He could see etched in every angle of her body all the liniments of despair
Reply 7
The Han Shan quote when you open the book (dont have my copy to hand). Appartently its a really good point to put in - shows understanding of the text etc.
Reply 8
.Dixie.
The Han Shan quote when you open the book (dont have my copy to hand). Appartently its a really good point to put in - shows understanding of the text etc.

Both the Han-shan quote and the Darwin quotes are particularly important. They introduce the reader at the very beginning to the contrasting themes the novel revolves around.
Don't just look at Han-shan, Darwin is also important:

Darwin was a naturalist - hence he represents the fate (predetermined destiny in the book, ie Ada looking in the well), the intertwining of man and nature and the competitive stuggle for existance - you either 'do or die' (Inman's moral struggle at killing the bear; and the conflict at Inmans death between him and the young boy)
Reply 9
“At the first gesture of morning, flies began stirring.”
“The window was as tall as a door”
“…rested there as black as the shadow of a crow squatted on the ground”
“…render ancient scribble”
“He could never settle his mind on whether it was a part of him or not…it had grown, like jacks bean, into something monstrous”
“It was a game and he had rules for it”
“Those pieces together seemed to offer some meaning”
“It’s having a thing and the loss of it I’m talking about.”
“…a ball brushed the skin of Inman’s wrist and felt like the tongue of a cat licking doing no damage”
“it’s a good thing war is so terrible or else we’d get to liking it too much”
“looked on war as an instrument for clarifying God’s obscure will.”
“Inman awoke in a mood as dark as the blackest crow that ever flew”
“…portrayed the soul as a frail thing... always threatening to die within you”
“from inside the tavern came the sounds of a fiddle being tuned”
“a man’s spirit could be torn apart and cease yet his body keep on living”
“There’s more to it then just the climbing”
“He set his foot on the sill and stepped out the window”
Reply 10
Could somebody explain the Han-shan quote...has it got any relation to the journey of Inman throughout the novel?...the fact he endures such hardships the novel is reflective of the reader's journey with Inman that its not as straightforward and simple as it may come across....??? or am i completely off it lol

Latest

Trending

Trending