The Student Room Group

how difficult is A-level maths?

I have been told repeatably how hard A-level maths is, and I am considering taking it to A-level but I am not sure whther I would struggle.
I got a B in the mock exam at GCSE, and am aiming for an A minimum in the real exams.

does anybody do A-level maths? and if so, what am I to expect when I do it, is C1 a massive step up from GCSE? what maths is involved?

Scroll to see replies

C1 and C2 aren't really massive steps.
Although Maths at A-level is a lot harder than at GCSE, if you're willing to work and put in the effort you'll be fine.
Plus, if you're hoping to get an A minimum, you'll be sure to pass.
Reply 2
AS isnt to hard, big step up at A2 in my opinion, quite hard
As is easy, A2 is hard buy very do-able if you are prepared to put the work in.
As level maths and C1 are piss easy, there are so many threads on this:
e.g

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13311110&highlight=a+level+maths+hard#post13311110

use the search function.
Reply 5
gcse maths was ridiculously easy for me last summer, in my opinion anyone who doesn't get at least an A shouldn't bother doing a level maths. its the same for any subject really, the workload is greater and its definitely harder, but if you work hard outside lessons you can get a high grade at the end - good luck!
C1 isnt bad, C2 is harder but do-able. S1 is both tedious and tricky later on.

Dont know about any other modules.
Reply 7
C1 is ridiculously easy for (more or less) anyone who can get an A at GCSE.
C2 doesn't seem to hard up too now.

Looking at some C3/4 past papers, there doesn't seem to be anything too tricky that you won't get taught.

Edit: AQA C1 math involved (varies from exam board):
- surds; simplifying equations involving surds
- differentiation; finding the gradient/tangent/normal of a curve at certain points, finding the nature of 'stationary points'
- integration; finding the area under a curve
- co-ordinate geometry; circles, lines, distance between 2 points, working out a linear gradient..
- 'completing the square'; to find the minimum point co-ordinates
- factorising
- polynomials; factor/remainder theorem (not as hard as they sound)
C1, C2 and the 1st 2 applied modules you do should definitely be do-able, the others are definitely a step up. It depends on how much work you think you put in to get that B at GCSE, If you think you can put in more and get an A then you should definitely do the A Level.
Reply 9
At GCSE i used to hate maths, i got an A and decided to take it AS level and now it's my favourite subject. It isn't too challenging at the moment but I've heard that A2 level is a lot more difficult..
Reply 10
depends what you get at GCSE in my class people who got A*'s find it fairly simple and get mainly A/B and people who got A's at GCSE are also fine but people who got a B at GCSE are struggling to get a good grade

i am finidng a level maths really easy so it mainly depends on ability

if you work hard though you will get out the grade you deserve

good luck :smile:
Reply 11
I got a B at GCSE because I was really unmotivated and just didn't want to work but at AS maths I got an A and am now doing A2 maths which for me is a big step up from AS.
In my opinion maths is one of the easiest A levels you can do (aside from joke subjects). Seeing as you have a whole 2 years to do it, I don't see that you're going to be that hard pressed to learn the techniques and formulae in the time.
Reply 13
just watch out for the bitch; mechanics. :rant:
Reply 14
Adam92
Edit: C1 math involved:
- surds; simplifying equations involving surds
- differentiation; finding the gradient/tangent/normal of a curve at certain points, finding the nature of 'stationary points'
- integration; finding the area under a curve
- co-ordinate geometry; circles, lines, distance between 2 points, working out a linear gradient..
- 'completing the square'; to find the minimum point co-ordinates
- factorising
- polynomials; factor/remainder theorem (not as hard as they sound)

You know the content is totally dependent on the board, so unless you specify which board that's for, and the OP is doing the same, it may well be very misleading.
I think if you're very good at maths it's the easiest subject to get 100% in. However, if you're not very good at maths it's one of the easiest to fail. AS isn't a massive step up from GCSE and it's FAR more interesting, especially C2. I'm doing all of maths A level in a year and hope to get an A (and I'm not one of those maths geniouses, just quite good at it).

phil
Personally I found AS a big step up from GCSE, but A2 wasn't a massive step up from AS. But if you work hard in the lessons you should be fine.
Reply 17
Chronos
You know the content is totally dependent on the board, so unless you specify which board that's for, and the OP is doing the same, it may well be very misleading.

AQA, damn.

I'm sure most of it is similar though..
Reply 18
Lol why did I get negged for my comment?
Mechanics to me is a bitch!!
Very hard. In my opinion anyway lol
AS isn't a huge step up from GCSE but I'm finding that A2 is a pretty big step!
I got an A* in year 10 and an A at AS, but i'm finding maths A2 very hard. I totally mucked up the C3 exam in january :s-smilie:
But if you're willing to put in the work you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest