The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

I'm sure I'm not the only rower on TSR, so come on guys (and girls) :teeth:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure none of those are you Anatheme :teeth:.
Reply 2
Mithra
I'm sure none of those are you Anatheme

I did not want to put pictures of my boat club :colondollar:. And I'm guessing they're just losers :teehee: (oh I missed this smiley).
Reply 3
Anatheme
I did not want to put pictures of my boat club :colondollar:. And I'm guessing they're just losers :teehee: (oh I missed this smiley).

They aren't even rowing with proper blades :ninja:.

Did you start this year or have you been doing it the whole time you've been at uni? (or maybe even before? :afraid:)
Reply 4
Mithra

Did you start this year or have you been doing it the whole time you've been at uni? (or maybe even before? :afraid:)

Started this year :p:
You?
Reply 5
Anatheme
Started this year :p:
You?

Same :smile:. Had my first race last weekend and think I might have a 5k in a couple of weeks :afraid:.

Its wild in here..
Reply 6
Mithra
Same :smile:. Had my first race last weekend and think I might have a 5k in a couple of weeks :afraid:.

Its wild in here..

Are you doing BUCS next week?
Reply 7
Anatheme
Are you doing BUCS next week?

Nah, only row college level, wouldn't have been nearly good enoguh to get on the uni 'development team' :p:.
Reply 8
Mithra
Nah, only row college level, wouldn't have been nearly good enoguh to get on the uni 'development team' :p:.

Awww shame!
I agreed to go on a second outing tomorrow. Why on earth did I do that? :indiff:
Reply 9
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellloooooooooooooo

I'm a novice, I had a bit of previous experience in a little skulling and a few weeks of rowing, but other than that I started in October. My team has so far won every race we've had (2 racing competitions, 6 races in total, they were sort of knock-out sprints). I've never won a medal before and we're all quite proud :biggrin:. A 5k heads race on the 27th. Tbh if any of you are from university of london, in particular the medical schools, I will probably be rowing against you at some point.
Reply 10
Jessaay!
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellloooooooooooooo

I'm a novice, I had a bit of previous experience in a little skulling and a few weeks of rowing, but other than that I started in October. My team has so far won every race we've had (2 racing competitions, 6 races in total, they were sort of knock-out sprints). I've never won a medal before and we're all quite proud :biggrin:. A 5k heads race on the 27th. Tbh if any of you are from university of london, in particular the medical schools, I will probably be rowing against you at some point.

Not Tyne head is it? :zomg:
Reply 11
Mithra
Not Tyne head is it? :zomg:

I don't think so no :p: I think we were thinking of entering that or something similar but we'd have to pay, as we're part of the United Hospitals Boat Club rather than the normal ones so we only get funded for certain things. The one I mentioned is the UH Head.

Also I may be rowing against anyone taking part in Women's Head of the River, that's quite a big one so a few of you may know of that!
Reply 12
Jessaay!
I don't think so no :p: I think we were thinking of entering that or something similar but we'd have to pay, as we're part of the United Hospitals Boat Club rather than the normal ones so we only get funded for certain things. The one I mentioned is the UH Head.

Also I may be rowing against anyone taking part in Women's Head of the River, that's quite a big one so a few of you may know of that!

I'll be thaaaaaaar :teeth:
The only race I've had so far was Novice Race day, haha, we just competed within the club :colondollar:
Reply 13
Jessaay!

No wonder you win, not in a proper league :ninja:. :p:

Tyne head is then too, I am literally going to die (my boat is ***** and I'm not quite good enough/fit enough for the first team :sad:)
Reply 14
Mithra

Tyne head is then too, I am literally going to die (my boat is ***** and I'm not quite good enough/fit enough for the first team :sad:)

Moar erging? (Brrrr, creepy idea)
Reply 15
Mithra

Haha, our boat is **** too. It's really old, really heavy and partially broken and it's so hard to sit :p: I went in the Women's second's boat the other week when I was subbing and because it's such a nice boat I've never rowed better I don't think. It was awesome. Our boat is so hard to lift as well, it's wood rather than carbon fibre. :frown:
Reply 16
Anatheme
Moar erging? (Brrrr, creepy idea)

Oh the horror...

You just reminded me that I have to do a 5k erg fairly soon. I'm thinking loading up on malt loaf, pro plus, lucozade, coffee, water and pasta before that will be a fairly good idea. Unless that just makes me vomit.
Mithra

At one point they were the only blades :tongue:

Do you row for one of the colleges?
Reply 18
Jessaay!
Oh the horror...

You just reminded me that I have to do a 5k erg fairly soon. I'm thinking loading up on malt loaf, pro plus, lucozade, coffee, water and pasta before that will be a fairly good idea. Unless that just makes me vomit.

Apparently the best is to eat full on carbs for a week, and a couple of days before, stop eating any at all. I can't see the logic, but that said, I don't have much logic, so…

We have 5Ks soon, too, don't wanna think about it :no:. I smashed my 2Ks record last time, but it's nowhere near as good as some other girls. One of them is about 5"4-ish and she pulled a 7:51 :indiff:
Reply 19
Jessaay!
Haha, our boat is **** too. It's really old, really heavy and partially broken and it's so hard to sit :p: I went in the Women's second's boat the other week when I was subbing and because it's such a nice boat I've never rowed better I don't think. It was awesome. Our boat is so hard to lift as well, it's wood rather than carbon fibre. :frown:

By 'boat' I unfortunately meant the other 7 rowers :p: (some are ok but some are just... I tried out rowing in 4 the other day and the guy at stroke's oar actually touched the water in about 25% of his strokes :p:).

Actual 'boat'-wise though we are in a similar.. um.. boat.. we did the durham small boat head race a week ago and were the only team in a wooden boat it seemed :smile:. When I subbed into one of the top 8's fours they let us take out a fibreglass one as most of the wood fours were broken and it was just :coma::sexface::coma:.

Quick Reply

Latest