The Student Room Group

Goodenough College - who's going/ application advise.

Hello all,

I am doing an MSc in International Relations at LSE this fall, and unfortunately, was not offered a spot at residence.

In my scramble to find alternative accommodations, I stumbled upon Goodenough College in London. Pretty close to the school, and the property and lifestyle seem pretty incredible.

Just wanted to see who is going to live there, and if anyone could tell me how long I might expect to wait from a reply to my application? I just received my confirmation e-mail that said: Your application has been received and we will let you know as soon as we can if we can make you an offer.

I am just hoping to get some info, because I have a limited time (2 weeks or so) to cancel my application at UNITE and get my 250 deposit back, and I didn't want to pester the admissions office right away.

Mat

Scroll to see replies

i don't know if this will effect me as it's all up in the air at the mome as to where i'm studying but would i be right in thinking that it's really hard to find accomodation in london at this stage?

phone them like crazy, perhaps email too...tis your money so do it

good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I'll share my experience, but probably the best thing to do is call the Admissions Office at Goodenough to see if there's a shot at getting a room there this autumn.

I got the "your application has been received" email at the end of April and a couple of months later received another email saying that a place was being held for me and I'd receive the formal offer documents once they had a confirmed date that space would be available. I'm still waiting for a move-in date. I have no idea how typical those waiting times are; perhaps they're shorter closer to term start - I applied about five months early.

Good luck!
Reply 3
@BetsyGirl, I am in the same situation. Also received an e-mail from Goodenough that accomodation is being held (super happy with it), but no formal offer documents yet, and leaving for London (will study at KCL) in 2 weeks.

Did you already receive your formal offer documents ?
Reply 4
I e-mailed them about a place and found them annoyingly vague. They said there was no application deadline, but it seemed like there was also no guarantee of getting a place for September - you could go on a waiting list and could be offered a place at any time throughout the year. They won't tell you what your chances are of getting a place. I didn't want to be messed around and end up in London with nowhere to live, so I found a private flat.
Reply 5
Do you think it would be wise to call the admission's office and ask about the possibility of receiving an answer. My only worry is that after the experience of calling the SOAS admission office, I am really hesitant to pay money to make an international call to people who simply dont care about your deadlines and the money you could lose!!
Reply 6
@ Wybo, I'm still waiting for the formal offer documents, too. I actually called the Admissions office a couple of weeks ago just to clarify what was meant by "a place is being held for you" and asked if that meant that I would definitely have a room for the autumn terrm. I was told yes, but the move-in date might be a few days later than what I requested. I think I'll check-in with them again if I don't hear anything after the weekend. Oh, and I believe they said we'd receive the formal offer documents by email.
Reply 7
@Everyone. I called them as BetsyGirl suggested, and they told me that they were a bit behind at sending out the offer-documents. I received them by e-mail (so happy!) and sent them back last week. I arrived today, and am actually typing this from my room in GN College.

All in all it looks like a good place, and from what I've experienced so far I'm really happy to be here, and not in some community-less flat like the ones offered by King's College London (my uni).

Wybo
Reply 8
What is wrong with just living in a privately rented place off gumtree just like everyone else?
Hello, can anyone tell me about their experience living in Goodenough College? What is it like? and what are the positive and negative things about it?

Does anyone know something about the UNITE accommodations?? Are they trustworthy? and are the studios a good deal??

Many thanks.
Reply 10
also looking for the same info =)

Any advice on the application process for Autum 2010 would be greatly appreciated as well
Hey there,
I already asked this in th eother thread on Goodenough College, maybe someone can give me some information... :smile:

I received the confirmation of receipt mail from Goodenough College about 3.5 weeks ago but have not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone of you know how long it usually takes them to answer?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply 12
I received an offer after a month of them receiving my application, so hopefully you should hear from them soon.
OK, thanks. So I hope to hear from them soon. :smile:
Reply 14
system49
What is wrong with just living in a privately rented place off gumtree just like everyone else?

If you're far far away from London, it's quite difficult to arrange something just off from Gumtree. It seems like the situation could get sticky if we're not careful...

Actually I'm having the same dilemma. I've got an LSE Bankside House single room but its kitchen facilities are said to be inadequate for real cooking. I need to self-cater. Other private halls are either expensive or run down and although the ones listed on Gumtree look nice, it's impossible for me to view these until I arrive in mid-Sep.

Should I find a place to crash for a month first and house-hunt? It'll be a lot of running around and moving...
Reply 15
I was just offered a place at Goodenough!
Reply 16
cpl.fir
I was just offered a place at Goodenough!

great I was offered as well. deciding btw uni housing and the college. Not sure how the room/bathroom situation is but the college seems to be more diverse and great for people who are new to the city....its just more expensive!
Reply 17
pk007
great I was offered as well. deciding btw uni housing and the college. Not sure how the room/bathroom situation is but the college seems to be more diverse and great for people who are new to the city....its just more expensive!

cool! for me, the uni hall costs the same as goodenough. except that goodenough has a more organised student life services and better furniture and facilities! so it's def. goodenough for me. at goodenough, bathrooms are shared, not sure what the ratio is tho... but i've been told by many people that i will enjoy life there. so i'm looking forward to it! :smile:
Reply 18
cpl.fir
cool! for me, the uni hall costs the same as goodenough. except that goodenough has a more organised student life services and better furniture and facilities! so it's def. goodenough for me. at goodenough, bathrooms are shared, not sure what the ratio is tho... but i've been told by many people that i will enjoy life there. so i'm looking forward to it! :smile:

I totally agree with you, it has a lot to offer, even for a semester its worth it
Reply 19
how long after you guys sent your applications did they inform you that they had received it? And how long after that did they offer a place? There seems to be a consistency of 1 months time.

Quick Reply

Latest