The Student Room Group

Maths or Mechanical Engineering?

I've recently started making the decision of what degree i want to do and really can't decide between mathematics or mechanical engineering. I desperately want to do a degree in finance but which would give me the greatest chance? More importantly will either of these degrees get me a career in finance?
Mechanical engineering will give you a firm foundation in the real-world application of mathematics and not vector spaces and other mad things that will warp your mind

js
Reply 2
finance ---> maths.

mech is all about real life applications
Original post by + polarity -

Mechanical engineering will give you a firm foundation in the real-world application of mathematics and not vector spaces and other mad things that will warp your mind

js

qft
4-dimensional spheres, da fuq is dat ****?
Original post by Johnny Christ

qft

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1564054

wat

js

The truth!

But there is comfort awesomness in knowing that these things have been somehow made to exist by some weird mathematical bizzaros and actually do exist, right?

qft

Time, mate. 3D is space. 4D is time.

[recites all of them]

and finally 9D is parraell. In other words, you exist in another realm of existance which exists in another realm of existance which exists...

...well, you get the picture, man. :wink2:
Original post by Eclectic Styles

The truth!

But there is comfort awesomeness in knowing that these things have been somehow made to exist by some weird mathematical bizzaros and actually do exist, right?

Time, mate. 3D is space. 4D is time.

[recites all of them]

and finally 9D is parallel. In other words, you exist in another realm of existence which exists in another realm of existence which exists...

...well, you get the picture, man. :wink2:

Where? :eyebrow: I've never seen a 4D sphere in ma life

but how can a sphere be in time????

...like Inception?

...like Inception?

Because everything is relative to time when dealing with space.

Say, for instance, you're walking down a fairly busy high street. People walking, cars driving, birds flying in the sky and so on.

I'm walking on one side of the street and you're walking on the other side. We're walking in the same direction, for the sake of definition, at the same pace and rate. However, due to us being in two completely different and unique spots to each other, although we are traversing through space to get somewhere in our own place in time, we're actually operating in two completely different realms of time.

Wait, that's confusing...

Hang on... ok, simply put: Just because we're going the same way doesn't mean we're gonna get there at the same exact time. Like sound has to travel aganist time through space to get to us so we can hear it, so too are we having to do something similar, as both our perceptions of space (the sound wave) and the actual time to get there may be completely different...

...awww gawdammit! It's complicated...errgghh...

...like Inception?

My friend went to a maths open day somewhere and they had a 'lecture' about 4D spheres. They didn't even know what one was.
Because everything is relative to time when dealing with space.

Say, for instance, you're walking down a fairly busy high street. People walking, cars driving, birds flying in the sky and so on.

I'm walking on one side of the street and you're walking on the other side. We're walking in the same direction, for the sake of definition, at the same pace and rate. However, due to us being in two completely different and unique spots to each other, although we are traversing through space to get somewhere in our own place in time, we're actually operating in two completely different realms of time.

Wait, that's confusing...

Hang on... ok, simply put: Just because we're going the same way doesn't mean we're gonna get there at the same exact time. Like sound has to travel aganist time through space to get to us so we can hear it, so too are we having to do something similar, as both our perceptions of space (the sound wave) and the actual time to get there may be completely different...

...awww gawdammit! It's complicated...errgghh...

I thought everyone was in the same time, it just feels longer/shorter in different situations... time dilation :ahee:

Spoiler

My friend went to a maths open day somewhere and they had a 'lecture' about 4D spheres. They didn't even know what one was.

wtf

I read about tesseracts once, they don't make sense

If a cube is moving inside/through/around itself then it's an abomination :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
I feel like my thread has been hijacked :frown:
sorry

Quick Reply

Latest