The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prince_of_Arabia
I have not said for one moment that I am definitely planning on going to UCL! Where did you get that from?

Secondly, you might be desperate for an offer from Barts, but I am equally autonomous to making a decision later on. I am not going to justify my reasoning as you have no right questioning the decisions I make on my UCAS application.

Fully agree!!!

People have no right to question our decisions and call us selfish.

We have worked just as hard as you have, and don't need people on TSR telling us to withdraw our applications or not.
Original post by dekg140
Hi, i've heard that Barts is a more UKCAT based uni, like obviously you still need great grades, personal statement, the relevant work experience etc, but that they place a large emphasis on the UKCAT, ranking the highest scores and inviting the top xxx amount for interview. Now I checked their Website, and they had their minimum A level requirements to get in. However I was wondering the minimum AS grades you'd need in order for them to even consider your application? Thanks :smile:

Check the Barts thread, they have changed their system and now use UCAS Tariff points, ie you need a high prediction (combined with a moderate UKCAT) to gain an interview :smile:

There is lots and lots of info on the Barts page, the first post should help you out.
Reply 3942
In the past the UKCAT has played a large part in the selection for interview. However this year, the only UKCAT requirement is you obtaining an average of 600. Anything more will not put you at an advantage. Barts score applicants for interview based on UCAS points. Based on this, you would need high grades at AS and very high predictions at A2 (A*) to have a chance for an interview. Alternatively you could manage a competitive UCAS tarrif by taking a lot of AS subjects and carrying them on to A2 :smile:
Original post by myyrh
In the past the UKCAT has played a large part in the selection for interview. However this year, the only UKCAT requirement is you obtaining an average of 600. Anything more will not put you at an advantage. Barts score applicants for interview based on UCAS points. Based on this, you would need high grades at AS and very high predictions at A2 (A*) to have a chance for an interview. Alternatively you could manage a competitive UCAS tarrif by taking a lot of AS subjects and carrying them on to A2 :smile:

Or by having lots of (irrelevant to some) qualifications which are given points such as Music Qualifications etc :biggrin:

But solid predictions are what's needed.
Original post by RollerBall
Having read through this stage of the debate (I was going to chip in) I've decided I'd be better off smashing my face against my keyboard as some people in here seem to be impervious to logical reasoning.

Ergo, I won't reply for a while as I now need to go find something to stem my bleeding nose.

Pahahaha. Mate, I basically just spent a few hours on here instead of revising for my exam on Friday. I will probably regret this on Friday morning when I open the first page of the exam! :s:
Original post by kingcoltzan
Fully agree!!!

People have no right to question our decisions and call us selfish.

We have worked just as hard as you have, and don't need people on TSR telling us to withdraw our applications or not.

Can I just say, that is probably the one post of yours I probably agree with. The rest are literally like :wtf: are you on about. :p:
I've currently been rejected from 3 universities and barts and london is my only hope now. I know it's easy to tell others to withdraw their application but if I was in a luckier position I'd try and get the maximum number of offers as I can.

Does anyone know when Barts will be giving out their offers?
Original post by SeamusHeaney
I've currently been rejected from 3 universities and barts and london is my only hope now. I know it's easy to tell others to withdraw their application but if I was in a luckier position I'd try and get the maximum number of offers as I can.

Kudos to you mate :smile:

It's uncertain at the moment, but it seems to be leaning towards early March. No one knows a specific date.
Kudos to you mate :smile:

It's uncertain at the moment, but it seems to be leaning towards early March. No one knows a specific date.

oh not too far then.
gonna be some emosh few days
oh not too far then.
gonna be some emosh few days

Best of luck to you :smile: I sincerely hope you get an offer! :wink:
Best of luck to you :smile: I sincerely hope you get an offer! :wink:

Thanks :smile: I had been rejected from 3 universities since december and I had my barts interview in the same month.

You have no idea how hard it has been waiting.
Thanks :smile: I had been rejected from 3 universities since december and I had my barts interview in the same month.

You have no idea how hard it has been waiting.

It does put it into context how "hard" it has been for me waiting with offers already when your sitting their with it as your last hope.

Best of luck once again, and let me know the outcome :smile:
Having read through this stage of the debate (I was going to chip in) I've decided I'd be better off smashing my face against my keyboard as some people in here seem to be impervious to logical reasoning. Ergo, I won't reply for a while as I now need to go find something to stem my bleeding nose.

I agree, it's pretty logical so confused really.

Original post by Tripo
After reading this debate, I've come to some sound conclusions; prince_of_arabia; why haven't you withdrawn from barts if your planning to and have an offer from UCL medicine-man, viceversa; agree with you and well argued. Kingscoltzan; i think your a bit of a N*b tbh, i think its fairly obvious your planning to go to KCL yet you somehow want to satisfy your own ego and want to hear what barts say.

He is a bit of a noob, he always seems to do this.

Fully agree!!! People have no right to question our decisions and call us selfish. We have worked just as hard as you have, and don't need people on TSR telling us to withdraw our applications or not.

You are bringing up something that was already sorted out before? This is about a different issue you brought up, not about that. If you're still confused about that read back at my replies. Also a disclaimer I've said before: no one's telling you to withdraw. My issue wasn't about making people withdraw so please get that clear in your head.

I thought you 'real' peace after the neg was..real? :facepalm2:

I'm still confused as to why you keep doing this tbh but ah well..

Still a little selfish to me, but like I said, it's my opinion. Still, no one's forcing anyone into anything - I simply mentioned why I felt people did it. :smile:

Hope you get an offer from BL btw. Rejections suck :console:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3953
Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this.
Instead lets talk about how awesome it is that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.
Original post by Tripo
Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this.
Instead lets talk about how awesome it Ais that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.

Agreed! Why wouldn't unis do dissection? Funds?
Original post by Tripo
Okay guys, lets move the topic away from this. Instead lets talk about how awesome it is that dissection is now compulsory, especially when many other universities are no longer doing it.

I agree. It's getting boring now. :yawn:

I know! I love that it is a feature now soo much :daydreaming:
When I applied I had my first offer in December, second in February and last one in March. I personally didn't withdraw even though the last one was the same offer as my insurance.

They aren't going to give out more offers because X person has withdrawn. There is the every so slight positive that if you fail your offer you have one more university to grovel to. There is literally no positive to withdrawing. In the end I had an AAA firm and an AAB insurance. Had my firm and insurance offer been the same I'd still have held out as if I'd got AAB I'd have had two universities to have the slim chance of groveling to. A slim chance is better than no chance.
Reply 3957
Agreed! Why wouldn't unis do dissection? Funds?

Im intrigued myself, apparently theres just not enough samples and its a bit of a hassle preparing stuff, literally i think very few unis do it now. Its absolutely brilliant that barts does it now full on as i think its such a brilliant way of learning anatomy, i had a friend who specifically went to birmingham because they have one of the largest dissecting theatres and the year he went they stopped doing it, he was MEGA pissed. If any current barts students can tell us how many per cadaver?
When I applied I had my first offer in December, second in February and last one in March. I personally didn't withdraw even though the last one was the same offer as my insurance.They aren't going to give out more offers because X person has withdrawn. There is the every so slight positive that if you fail your offer you have one more university to grovel to. There is literally no positive to withdrawing. In the end I had an AAA firm and an AAB insurance. Had my firm and insurance offer been the same I'd still have held out as if I'd got AAB I'd have had two universities to have the slim chance of groveling to. A slim chance is better than no chance.

Fair enough, if what you're saying is true about no advantage.
Original post by ViceVersa

I know! I love that it is a feature now soo much :daydreaming:

It always amuses me to see medicine/life sciences pre-freshers getting all excited over anatomy (and yes, I was exactly the same) and usually after the second practical half of the class realise they actually hate the subject. Aside from the amusing mnemonics you can construct for remembering various things, anatomy really isn't that fascinating imho.

Though having said that, anything beats the histology lab and the associated spotter tests. ****s.

Quick Reply