The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University Gym

Hi,

i've been looking around the forum, but from the threads and posts i saw i couldn't find a definite answer to my question, how much is it per year to use the weights area in the university gym? (including membership fee)

thanks x
Reply 1
These were the costs for 2011/2012 - bare in mind it might change the next academic year.

You'll need to join Warwick Sport which is a £49 fee for the academic year.

Then you will have to pay £40 on top of that to use the Strength and Conditioning Room (the weights room which includes Olympic barbells, lifting platforms, squat racks, benches and others).

So a total of £89.

But if you want to be able to use the fitness suite (Running Bear Fitness Suite) too which includes a ridiculous host of machines and elliptical trainers, rowing machines, treadmills, then you'll have to pay £99 which will include access to the Strength and Conditioning Room.

So there are two options: £49 - Warwick Sport joining fee plus a) £40 to use only the S&C room or b) £99 to use the S&C room and the Fitness Bear Suite.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
We should mention that the strength & conditioning room always has the door open, so you can pretty much use it for free if you want.
Reply 3
Are there definitely squat racks, benches etc? - as that's very important to me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mellyssa

Original post by Mellyssa
These were the costs for 2011/2012 - bare in mind it might change the next academic year.

You'll need to join Warwick Sport which is a £49 fee for the academic year.

Then you will have to pay £40 on top of that to use the Strength and Conditioning Room (the weights room which includes Olympic barbells, lifting platforms, squat racks, benches and others).

So a total of £89.

But if you want to be able to use the fitness suite (Running Bear Fitness Suite) too which includes a ridiculous host of machines and elliptical trainers, rowing machines, treadmills, then you'll have to pay £99 which will include access to the Strength and Conditioning Room.

So there are two options: £49 - Warwick Sport joining fee plus a) £40 to use only the S&C room or b) £99 to use the S&C room and the Fitness Bear Suite.

Your scholarship programs for sport cover those costs? I remember asking at open day and I am pretty sure the answer was yes but just to confirm. :3
Original post by DymentriX
Are there definitely squat racks, benches etc? - as that's very important to me :smile:

Yes (with respect to power cages and benches), along with an Oly platform, so you can enjoy rippletoad's squatting strength to your heart's content. In all seriousness though, it's fairly well equipped, although it can get crowded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by powermanchu
Yes (with respect to power cages and benches), along with an Oly platform, so you can enjoy rippletoad's squatting strength to your heart's content. In all seriousness though, it's fairly well equipped, although it can get crowded.

wow, so cool to hear this. i wouldnt anywhere, where there is no decent gym
Reply 7
Does anyone have a picture?
Original post by DymentriX
Does anyone have a picture?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/sportscentre/facilities/

There might be some photos around on this website :smile:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I didn't rejoin the gym this year), but I thought all the weights now got moved to the main gym (the running bear fitness suite) and the conditioning room is now just for conditioning?
Original post by matt2k8
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I didn't rejoin the gym this year), but I thought all the weights now got moved to the main gym (the running bear fitness suite) and the conditioning room is now just for conditioning?

Nah bro. The weights room has all the same stuff - Two squat racks, two benches, olly platform, dip rack. Nothing has been moved.

Gets busy as fook around 4-6pm, but fairly quiet outside of those times. Sundays are normally desolate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Nah bro. The weights room has all the same stuff - Two squat racks, two benches, olly platform, dip rack. Nothing has been moved.

Gets busy as fook around 4-6pm, but fairly quiet outside of those times. Sundays are normally desolate.

Original post by powermanchu

So would you guys say the University Gym is well equipped from a weight lifting perspective? Would you happen to know what the heaviest dumbbells are?

Quick Reply

Latest