The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What's the food like in the catered halls?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner? Is the stuff any good?
Reply 1
-Breakfast on weekdays - you can get fruit, yoghurt, toast, cereals and there's often hot options for example eggs or bacon/sausage baps
-Lunch on weekdays - your university card will also act as a meal card which is loaded up with £5.10 each weekday of term. You can spend this anywhere on campus e.g. in your hall/a friend's hall or in one of the catering outlets on campus, such as the food court in the Portland Building or in a cafe in your school's building. This means there's quite a wide selection - chinese, indian, pasta, pizza, salads, fried chicken, burgers, sandwiches or freshly-made baguettes...
-Dinner on weekdays and weekends - there tends to be a choice of around 3 main meals (one is always a veggie choice), usually with some form of potatoes and a choice of veg. Pretty sure there are sample menus online somewhere!
-On weekends you just get brunch and dinner. Sunday dinner is always a roast of some sort, although there's another option if you don't fancy that. Brunch on a Saturday is a full-English (best meal of the week!) but the usual breakfast items are also available if you're not that hungry. Brunch on a Sunday offers jacket potatoes with fillings or a continental style breakfast with croissants, pastries etc.

I'd say unless you're a very fussy eater, you'll be fine! Dinners can vary - sometimes I really enjoy it, sometimes it's not great but it's all edible so you shouldn't go hungry :smile:

Any more questions on anything, feel free to ask!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Yeah it's pretty good-ish. Some days are like "GOOD GOD WHY" (chinese night for example) but they often do some really nice stuff. You get a fairly good choice, a pudding + yoghurt/fruit

The brunches are pretty alright (sunday less so)... full English is always good, even if the bacon is a little rubbish.

... but on the whole I'm pretty impressed by the food, although I've only ever eaten in Lenton and Wortley Hall
Reply 3
Depends on how much you care about it. It does get repetitive, and at least in my hall I don't find dinner all that good but lunch and breakfast are fine.
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your answers; good to hear they have veggie options.
Reply 5
What if a meal doesn't fill you up? Are you allowed to get some more? I don't mean to be selfish lol I just don't want to starve.
Reply 6
Original post by QuantBrain
What if a meal doesn't fill you up? Are you allowed to get some more? I don't mean to be selfish lol I just don't want to starve.

May depend on the hall. Mine has implemented a rule where you're only allowed to get seconds during the last 15 minutes of dinner. Breakfast is not normally a problem - I've had up to 3 pastries before, there's also toast and cereal to choose from too.
Reply 7
Are the meals included in the accommodation bill? or do you have to pay separately?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Kachun
Are the meals including in the accommodation bill? or do you have to pay separately?

If you're in a catered hall then meals are included in accom bill.
Reply 9
Hi Guys, Are you charged for meals you don't eat?

Tom
Reply 10
Original post by theneghan1
Hi Guys, Are you charged for meals you don't eat?

Tom

well you don't get any money back, so effectively yes

Quick Reply

Latest