The Student Room Group

Year 12's what are you doing for work experience?

If you are doing work experience...

Tried to ask a council department-refused (nicely mind)

Tried to ask a design firm- refused (probably)

think I might try a translation agency, but I'd probably feel completely inferior.:wink::smile::s-smilie:
I managed to land a job of private tutoring of Maths and Physics. It's Mathematical work experience (Although nowhere near as necessary for a Maths university course than for other courses), and is extremely enjoyable.
Reply 2
Original post by DJMayes
I managed to land a job of private tutoring of Maths and Physics. It's Mathematical work experience (Although nowhere near as necessary for a Maths university course than for other courses), and is extremely enjoyable.

wow! good on you!

wasn't meant to sound sarcastic
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Yay I have an extended deadline to find somewhere!
Reply 4
:bump:
Reply 5
When I was in Year 12 I had my work experience in a Solicitor firm (I'm at University studying law now), which I sorted out myself. My school did in fact arrange placements if you didn't yourself though, and there were other law firms for others that the school arranged, but that might have just been something my school did to help.

Just try and find experience that will help with what you want to do in the future. No point doing something that isn't relevant unless you are completely lost.
Reply 6
Original post by Alarae
When I was in Year 12 I had my work experience in a Solicitor firm (I'm at University studying law now), which I sorted out myself. My school did in fact arrange placements if you didn't yourself though, and there were other law firms for others that the school arranged, but that might have just been something my school did to help.

Just try and find experience that will help with what you want to do in the future. No point doing something that isn't relevant unless you are completely lost.

Thanks, don't think there's enough money for school to sort it out for us isn't even enough for y10's:frown:
Reply 7
hooray! :biggrin: i'm going baking!!!!!
Reply 8
I managed to get a job over the summer working for a firm who makes booking software for Uni accommodation, and ended up learning C# from scratch and doing some relatively complex coding by the end of it. I also designed a couple of WPF forms for their latest release. If I end up going somewhere like BCU who uses their software, I'll be looking at my own work when I book accommodation!

If you're looking for works experience, it might be worthwhile sending an email to several firms that interest you and explaining your situation and where you want to go. You never know, they might take you on and even pay you!
Reply 9
Original post by TobyM
I managed to get a job over the summer working for a firm who makes booking software for Uni accommodation, and ended up learning C# from scratch and doing some relatively complex coding by the end of it. I also designed a couple of WPF forms for their latest release. If I end up going somewhere like BCU who uses their software, I'll be looking at my own work when I book accommodation!

If you're looking for works experience, it might be worthwhile sending an email to several firms that interest you and explaining your situation and where you want to go. You never know, they might take you on and even pay you!

What other programming companies would you recommend for me to email for work experience?
I went to a sixth form attached to a school when I was doing my A Levels, and we got 2 afternoons off a week ("study time" supposedly) but instead I did Tuesday afternoons helping out in the English department and Wednesdays helping out in the music department in a TA sort of position. This was 2 afternoons a week for two years so was great, but didn't require leaving the school grounds, and I was never going to get refused as they like a bit of help from the older pupils every now and again. I also "volunteered" to do lunchtime supervision a couple of times a week which was great, as it can all go on my CV!
Original post by DJMayes

Wow how do I do that.. how is it etc?

Not for maths but for other subjects
Reply 12
Original post by non
What other programming companies would you recommend for me to email for work experience?

I can't really help you out, as I don't know what programming companies are local to you. If you know of any local ones, then start with them :smile:
Reply 13
Nothing.
Our work experience is the last week of school.. I really want to do it with a psychologist but that sounds doubtful so I'll probably end up going to a court or something
Reply 15
I would like to go somewhere related to chemistry but I'm finding it tough to find anywhere, any ideas?
Reply 16
I'm shadowing a barrister for a few days whilst he has an important court case in July :smile:
Reply 17
I'm in Year 12 next year, but I've already got this mostly sorted. Someone who works with my step-mother has a husband who's a photographer, so I should have it there. I'm pretty excited about it.
Reply 18
Original post by Unsworth
I'm shadowing a barrister for a few days whilst he has an important court case in July :smile:

Just wondering how did you the chance of doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending