The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It would be very difficult to get into any uni at all with those grades! But yes, it is quite possible.
Well, grades aren't entirely necessary for Uni (they certainly help though) I know a good few people who had the grades doctors but crashed and burned because suddenly, they had to cope with situations where their books and grades couldn't help them.

And I left school with no Highers, just Standards grades and I'm going to uni this year so yes, it is possible.
:erm: Mate, if a person can't handle GCSE material, how on Earth would they cope with University?! People with all A*'s struggle!
Depends on which course though.
Reply 4
I hope not.
It does largely depend on grades. But if you really want to go to uni and you're willing to work hard enough to get there then yes, you can get in.
I'm not really sure what someone with those grades would do after GCSE if they wanted to get into uni. I mean, can you do A Levels with those grades?
There's always the option of retaking some GCSEs such as english and maths to improve your chances.
Reply 6
you would need A-Level grades to get on a university course and as long as they were good a lot of universities would accept them,a lot wouldn't though because of the poor GCSE grades.
Reply 7
Original post by StartSomething
It does largely depend on grades. But if you really want to go to uni and you're willing to work hard enough to get there then yes, you can get in.
I'm not really sure what someone with those grades would do after GCSE if they wanted to get into uni. I mean, can you do A Levels with those grades?
There's always the option of retaking some GCSEs such as english and maths to improve your chances.

I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?
Most unis don't care I think as long as they're not terrible. Hopefully anyone who does get an E or an F does consider doing resits and doing better the next time round :smile:
Reply 9
Given that most sixth forms want 5 A*-C grades, I'd probably say not, far more important than GCSEs for getting into uni. But I've known people who've gotten Ds and Es in Maths to get onto a Business/Economics degree somehow (they generally turn out to do crap & have to remedial Maths classes). But ti could be possible.
I highly doubt you'd be able to do A levels or even a Level 3 BTEC with those grades. You need to do one of the two to go to University.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oasis'

I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?

You might be able to retake it at your school. Also local colleges. Or perhaps another school if you don't want to retake it at your current one.

and yes, if you get a higher GCSE grade at college.
Technically as long as you have A levels at the required grades you don't need GCSEs at all for many degree courses in the UK.
Original post by Oasis'

If you resat a GCSE in college and improved your grade, then yes that would become your GCSE grade instead of the one you got in Year 11. You could check with the colleges you apply to whether you can resit GCSEs there, but I have mates resitting GCSE Maths, English etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chucklefiend
Technically as long as you have A levels at the required grades you don't need GCSEs at all for many degree courses in the UK.

But you access A levels with your GCSE's.
Original post by arnoob
But you access A levels with your GCSE's.

Not if you do them through ICS or the National Extension College, there are no entry requirements to do A levels through these distance learning providers. The real question is whether somebody who got mostly Fs in their GCSEs would be capable of achieving the required grades at A level either.
You might be able to override them with an Access Course.
Reply 17
Original post by StartSomething
You might be able to retake it at your school. Also local colleges. Or perhaps another school if you don't want to retake it at your current one.

and yes, if you get a higher GCSE grade at college.

But I can't go back to school at 20 can I? I guess it'd have to be college.
Original post by Converse Rocker
If you resat a GCSE in college and improved your grade, then yes that would become your GCSE grade instead of the one you got in Year 11. You could check with the colleges you apply to whether you can resit GCSEs there, but I have mates resitting GCSE Maths, English etc.

How long do the courses often last, also are there any age restrictions that your aware of? thank you so much
Reply 18
it depends, if youre alevel grades are excellent then unis will respect the improvement accordingly but if youve failed maths and english then your chances of getting into any good uni are more or less gone..
Go to college first then work your way up to University :smile:

Latest