The Student Room Group

Official 'Gappies' Thread for 2011-2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

I got back from two months in India a couple of days ago. If you have the chance to do something even remotely like that, I strongly advise you to do so.
Reply 281
Original post by dancinginrainbows
I got back from two months in India a couple of days ago. If you have the chance to do something even remotely like that, I strongly advise you to do so.

woo sounds good
how was it?
(big question) was it expensive ?
Original post by manu01
woo sounds good
how was it?
(big question) was it expensive ?

It was very, very, very cool, and I have learned a lot (though I am only just at the start of collating my experiences). I wrote a blog very half-arsed-ly about some of it, it's at www.katherinesonagapyear.blogspot.in I'm going to update it with the end of the trip and my thoughts afterwards too.

I went with my parents, who insisted on paying for the majority of it ( :biggrin: ). I reckon you could do two months very easily (inc. flights) for £1500, and you could manage fine on £1000 by cutting down a bit on the accomodation (you'll be staying in concrete rooms, but they'll be clean if you do your research). Things like bus journeys are ridiculously cheap - a 3 hour ride can cost 10/20 rupees (13-26p). A night's accomodation can be 200-300 INR (I stayed in one place that was 70). The expensive thing is touristy sites where they know they can charge foreigners way more than Indians, so they charge Indians 10INR and foreigners as much as 500-1000.
Reply 283
It was very, very, very cool, and I have learned a lot (though I am only just at the start of collating my experiences). I wrote a blog very half-arsed-ly about some of it, it's at www.katherinesonagapyear.blogspot.in I'm going to update it with the end of the trip and my thoughts afterwards too.

I went with my parents, who insisted on paying for the majority of it ( :biggrin: ). I reckon you could do two months very easily (inc. flights) for £1500, and you could manage fine on £1000 by cutting down a bit on the accomodation (you'll be staying in concrete rooms, but they'll be clean if you do your research). Things like bus journeys are ridiculously cheap - a 3 hour ride can cost 10/20 rupees (13-26p). A night's accomodation can be 200-300 INR (I stayed in one place that was 70). The expensive thing is touristy sites where they know they can charge foreigners way more than Indians, so they charge Indians 10INR and foreigners as much as 500-1000.

i read a bit of your blog
its pretty amazing how much you experienced
what course are you gonna apply for (uni) ?
Original post by manu01
i read a bit of your blog
its pretty amazing how much you experienced
what course are you gonna apply for (uni) ?

I've already applied, I'm going to be doing PPE at Oxford in October. You? Are you on a gap year now?
Reply 285
I've already applied, I'm going to be doing PPE at Oxford in October. You? Are you on a gap year now?

I am hopefully gonna get into medicine this year (first timer with no offers and waiting on 1 last uni)

If not i will take a gap year and reapply
Original post by loulou111
getting so bored of my gap year! starting to wish i hadnt taken one now :frown:

I've got my uni place sorted for September but i'm just doing nothing at the moment! There are no jobs going around my area so i can't afford to do anything. ugggh! i cant spend the next 6 months doing nothing :frown: such a waste... i should of planned this a bit better ¬_¬

Samee..i've got my place sorted for october but its incrediblyyyy boring :/ Ive been trying to keep myself busy with little things but its just frustrating -_-
Original post by DellaLouise
Same :sad: but I didn't really have a choice about taking my gap year because I dropped out of my previous uni. I'm fed up of applying for jobs. Just hoping the next 6 months go quickly, I even have a countdown clock counting down the days. 188 days to go :rolleyes:

thats the same reason im on a gap year atm..but as bored as i am i dont regret dropping out :tongue: i've been counting down the months since november :/ it hurts my head thinking about how longgggg it is away
Reply 288
what do you lot recommend to do on a gap year (considering I am a medic)
(i know there is a tsr webpage of gap years but i just wanted your opinions)
Original post by manu01
I am hopefully gonna get into medicine this year (first timer with no offers and waiting on 1 last uni)

If not i will take a gap year and reapply

Ah, good luck with it! That said, as you seem to be interested in the prospect of taking a gap year, it could be a good oppourtunity in itself.
Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man
thats the same reason im on a gap year atm..but as bored as i am i dont regret dropping out :tongue: i've been counting down the months since november :/ it hurts my head thinking about how longgggg it is away

I don't regret dropping out too, I know I wouldn't have been happy if I'd stayed but waiting to start again is taking so long! :yawn:
Original post by DellaLouise
I don't regret dropping out too, I know I wouldn't have been happy if I'd stayed but waiting to start again is taking so long! :yawn:

Just another 6 months :frown:
Its just long taking each day as it comes i NEED to start
:rolleyes:
Just another 6 months :frown:
Its just long taking each day as it comes i NEED to start

Don't know what your subject is, but how much are you doing to give yourself a head start at uni? Reading is giving me a really good focus for the times I'm in the UK (and did for the 6 months I spent unemployed and not travelling).
:rolleyes:

Don't know what your subject is, but how much are you doing to give yourself a head start at uni? Reading is giving me a really good focus for the times I'm in the UK (and did for the 6 months I spent unemployed and not travelling).

Ohh i'm going to be studying maths.. i've been doing alot of reading of what material i would be covering during the first year obviously i dont know everything i will be doing but i think i've given myself quite a decent headstart. Thanks for the advice though
Ohh i'm going to be studying maths.. i've been doing alot of reading of what material i would be covering during the first year obviously i dont know everything i will be doing but i think i've given myself quite a decent headstart. Thanks for the advice though

Ah that's cool then :smile:

(I proper didn't mean that smiley btw, no idea how that got there)
Ah that's cool then :smile:

(I proper didn't mean that smiley btw, no idea how that got there)

haha no worries it happens

so are you still on your gap year or enjoying life at uni now?
I wanna go to southeast asia from june to july. Is this a bad time to go? Weather-wise where are the best places to go at this time?
I'm on a gap year after dropping out of uni in January. I thought I'd save money easily, then go travelling but in reality it's been really hard to find a job so not much money saved! I'm planning on going to America in July or August for a month for a conservation project IF I manage to find money from somewhere by then :smile:
Jeah another dropouts! I dropped out in november, and I have been working for a theater ever since. I am kind of glad this year happened. So glad my next year will be another gap year... I am going to Au Pair in Germany next! Can not wait until june and it is my time to travel <3 Next autumn I will apply to universities again though. Gotta get my education someday.
Damnit. I didn't know there was a gappy thread, my gap years almost over!

Quick Reply

Latest