The Student Room Group

What do you like best - pure or applied?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raheem94
A poll differentiating between applied units such as mechanics, statistics and decision would have been better.

I voted pure, if mechanics would have been there then i would have voted for it.

But that would relate to A Level maths and this thread relates to Maths beyond that
Original post by ThatPerson
But if you think about it, isn't maths applied philosophy?

No.
Reply 42
Original post by Bobifier
I'm sure Combinatorics doesn't count as a branch of Maths because Maths is interesting and Combinatorics is really boring.

That hurts my feelings.

Seriously though, what's not to like about graph theory? It can be very algebraic (groups and linear algebra, as well as homomorphisms) which is what I like.
Reply 43
It's often argued that physics (my primary field of interest) is a subset of maths, and maths a subset of philosophy. To me it seems maths is worthless without application. Without maths we wouldn't be as far as we are in answering the fundamental philosophical questions of why we're here, how the universe came in to existence etc. But without these questions maths is just a cold, grey sea of numbers with no meaning. The conclusion that this gives me is as follows: applied maths needs pure maths to exist in the first place, pure maths needs applied maths to be useful. I voted for applied, but not without hesitation, I'd have preferred if there were more specific options to choose from.
Reply 44

No.
I love pure. If it seems like there's no practical application for it, I love it. :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by Raiden10
That hurts my feelings.

Seriously though, what's not to like about graph theory? It can be very algebraic (groups and linear algebra, as well as homomorphisms) which is what I like.

When it's in a Decision 1 module...:tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by gff
Everything is an application of pure Mathematics. Couldn't resist it. :tongue:

fields-arranged-by-purity.png

Original post by ben-smith
no.

Yes. Philosophy is by far the most fundamental of all disciplines (and this is coming from a maths student), logic is a sub-discipline of philosophy. Without it maths wouldn't exist in the first place, however when it comes to the sort of maths talked about here, from calculus to topology, it's easy to forget that.

Original post by TenOfThem
After all, as with anything, Philosophy is a branch of Mathematics

Philosophy gave birth to maths, and uses it as a tool to answer questions, however philosophy is a broad study; ranging from that which borders on cosmology, to morals, politics and other things that concern human interaction and have no relation to maths at all.
Original post by James94
Without maths we wouldn't be as far as we are in answering the fundamental philosophical questions of why we're here, how the universe came in to existence etc. But without these questions maths is just a cold, grey sea of numbers with no meaning. The conclusion that this gives me is as follows: applied maths needs pure maths to exist in the first place, pure maths needs applied maths to be useful.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Original post by Silent--ly
I like statistics :colondollar:

I've never met anyone else who does though :teehee:

I hate statistics with a vengeance...... unless i get 90+ UMS in june on it then i'll love it to bits :P
Pure, pure and then a bit more pure! After that possibly some Galois Theory, geometric topology and differential geometry. Oh and did I mention pure?
Reply 50
Nikolai Lobachevsky
There is no branch of mathematics, however abstract, which may not someday be applied to the phenomena of the real world.

I love my fluids and am an 'applied mathematician', but this quote I think is great. By the great Russian Nikolai Lobachevsky, and I have never come across a counter example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by HGerhard

Philosophy gave birth to maths, and uses it as a tool to answer questions, however philosophy is a broad study;

I guess you are the one who negged me, so I would turn it back.
Who is the first Western philosopher? Did he try to extend Greek's current understanding on Mathematics and knowledge about Astronomy, or not?

You seem a bit confused about which came first.
levels of bs in this thread are astounding.

Pure for me. I must admit I don't really know any applied. I just view it as fiddly maths.

This philosophy debate is completely retarded.

If it were to have any credible basis we would need well defined definitions of what it means to be a philosopher etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest