The Student Room Group

Contact lenses & Dyspraxia

Hey there,

I'm due for a opticians appointment soon, and am probably going to be getting a new pair of glasses. What I wanted to ask was, I was wondering about trying contact lenses, however, I am dyspraxic. I know they are hard for people with non-dyspraxics to put in as it is, so is it an option worth looking into or not? To start with, I'll probably just wear them on nights out and not everyday wear.

Cheers

:smile:
You're braver than I am if you go for it! :P

I should imagine that with practice it will - as with everything - get easier, however I too am dyspraxic and would worry about the prospect of throwing contact lense solution covered contacts down the back of my eyelid or something..

Might be worthing asling the optician himself for advice :smile:
Reply 2
Ask the optician for a trial and see how you get on. They'll show you what to do and watch you practice until they're happy you can do it right. It may take a few visits to get the hang of it. Lots of people find it difficult at first, but (anecdotally) it's the squeamishness that's the problem rather than co-ordination.
I'm dyspraxic and have been wearing contacts for 10 years, no problem... Its not really possible to "throw a lens down the back of your eyelid" seriously... don't see how.

Some people struggle with them, some don't... I have never even considered my dyspraxia to be a factor... Theres no harm in having a trial and see how you go with them
Original post by daisydaffodil
You're braver than I am if you go for it! :P

I should imagine that with practice it will - as with everything - get easier, however I too am dyspraxic and would worry about the prospect of throwing contact lense solution covered contacts down the back of my eyelid or something..

Might be worthing asling the optician himself for advice :smile:

Original post by Madprof
Ask the optician for a trial and see how you get on. They'll show you what to do and watch you practice until they're happy you can do it right. It may take a few visits to get the hang of it. Lots of people find it difficult at first, but (anecdotally) it's the squeamishness that's the problem rather than co-ordination.

Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I'm dyspraxic and have been wearing contacts for 10 years, no problem... Its not really possible to "throw a lens down the back of your eyelid" seriously... don't see how.

Some people struggle with them, some don't... I have never even considered my dyspraxia to be a factor... Theres no harm in having a trial and see how you go with them

Cheers for all the guideance everyone. I'm a diabetic too, and as part of my yearly check I have to have drops in which I HATE and am due at the next opticians appointment. What sort of impact will that have on contacts if I hate drops?

Quick Reply

Latest