The Student Room Group

Gay marriage

Scroll to see replies

It's definitely a step in the right direction ^_^

dog-supports-gay-marriage-web__oPt.jpg
Original post by mmmpie
inb4 "You can't force the church to marry gay couples!"

We shouldn't force the Church, an institution that is backwards in countless other ways, to marry gays, when it explicitly goes against what they 'believe'.

We should, however, give the partnership of gays that view the importance of their relationship as equal to a marriage exactly the same status and rights as a couple married in a more traditional sense.
This country is stuck in an archaic rut.
Reply 23
why do gays even want to get married? i thought the whole point of gays is that they loved sleeping around?

surely, liberals should be the ones trying to free the gays the 'petty bourgeois' institution of marriage?
Reply 24
Original post by mmmpie
No, that's exactly the point. By allowing same-sex couples marriage, rather than only civil partnerships, they can formalise and label their relationships in the same way as mixed-sex couples can.

Original post by big-bang-theory
No, of course not but I think it's somewhat important that the state doesn't implicitly reinforce them.

If someone opposes homosexuals, they're still not going to recognise a same sex partnership (of whatever level) even if it is endorsed by the government.

It's just a relative thing. If it can be made easier simply then we ought to do it. You can argue over the significance of the impact all you like but there's no denying it will have SOME good impact at the very least. In any case I think the impact is primarily rooted in how the individual views each necessary step, to some the dissolution of the marriage (even temporarily) is going to be a really big thing to them. And making them not have to go through that even if there are a small number of them can only be a good thing.

I agree, but given the state is happy to make transgender people go through a lot just to change their legal gender, this is only a small victory.
Reply 25
Original post by Hopple
If someone opposes homosexuals, they're still not going to recognise a same sex partnership (of whatever level) even if it is endorsed by the government.

So pessimistic!

Anyway, if they're called the same thing people aren't to know, are they?
Original post by chlobofro
This country is stuck in an archaic rut.

How the **** did you come to this conclusion? The reason why we didn't allow homosexuals to originally marry was because most people were against it. Now, as we've become less religious, most people are for allowing homosexuals to marry thus we can allow it. People just want to be cynical about everything. We're a pretty progressive country, probably top 20.
Reply 27
Original post by mmmpie
So pessimistic!

Anyway, if they're called the same thing people aren't to know, are they?

Bob: "Hi, I'm Bob. I got married last weekend!"
Homophobe: "Oh, congratulations, is you wife here?"
Bob: "Nope, my husband Joe is over there though"
Homophobe: "Wtf, that doesn't count" *Walks off grumbling*
Reply 28
Original post by Hopple
Bob: "Hi, I'm Bob. I got married last weekend!"
Homophobe: "Oh, congratulations, is you wife here?"
Bob: "Nope, my husband Joe is over there though"
Homophobe: "Wtf, that doesn't count" *Walks off grumbling*

Bob: **ticks civil partnership box on form**
Homophobic official: You're gay? Wtf!!!
Bill: **ticks married box on form**
Homophobic official: **files form**
Reply 29
Original post by mmmpie
Bob: **ticks civil partnership box on form**
Homophobic official: You're gay? Wtf!!!
Bill: **ticks married box on form**
Homophobic official: **files form**

Bob would get his form filed too :s-smilie: Whilst I'm (prudishly?) in favour of people not publicising their sexuality (whatever it is), this is hardly going to change the attitudes of homophobes in situations like I described.
Original post by whofan
why do gays even want to get married? i thought the whole point of gays is that they loved sleeping around?

surely, liberals should be the ones trying to free the gays the 'petty bourgeois' institution of marriage?

:rolleyes: If you don't even know what homosexuality is about then there is really no point in you trying to make you understand.
Original post by whofan

I am gay, and I can assure you that not every gay person loves sleeping around, especially nowadays when there are so many STDs which can easily be caught. I, personally, am in a committed relationship and want to marry my boyfriend one day.

Wow............... First time coming out in TSR.:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest