The Student Room Group

What is the most useful A Level?

^ And I don't mean "useful" as in the one universities like the most. I mean which A level can be applied to and helps the most in real life.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The one you have the most interest in and enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by Reina
^ And I don't mean "useful" as in the one universities like the most. I mean which A level can be applied to and helps the most in real life.

I find maths has helped me - stats especially
It's just made me figure things out in different quicker ways. Perhaps not the A level content so much, maybe just due to doing more difficult mathematical problems. Alot(almost all!) of the maths there though is useless to the average joe

I could survive without it though xD
Reply 3
Economics. It sparked an interest in politics, news and current affairs, as well as history for me. It changed the way I look at the world, taught me to be critical of everything, analyse, evaluate and look at things from different perspectives.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you mean getting you jobs then Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
If you mean teaches you relevant stuff that helps you in real life situations, there aren't any really :L
Maybe maths but the maths they teach you is all algebra
Maths, simply because it is applicable to almost every part of life.
It really is debateable and some are most useful in different areas.

For me it has to be history, not only has my essay writing skills improved immensely but a few thousand words seems like nothing. Coupled with that is the fact it has give me great analytical skills, skills involving reading between lines and interpreting, piecing together, presenting a flawless argument, finding flaws in arguments, understanding politics, predicting politics, predicting results, predicting events plus much more.

It's really quite crazy...
Reply 7
I can see this thread being a hotbed of well-informed, respectful discussion...
Reply 8
Original post by . .
Economics. It sparked an interest in politics, news and current affairs, as well as history for me. It changed the way I look at the world, taught me to be critical of everything, analyse, evaluate and look at things from different perspectives.

Completely agree, I think economics is very useful and has helped me understand current affairs and feel i can contribute to conversations more with the knowledge from the subject.

Also maths is good!
Reply 9
Media Studies or Travel and Tourism.

Spoiler

Reply 10
Scientology
I personally find psychology to be most useful in every day life, it allows you to become more aware about the similarities that connect and the differences between people. You also become more aware of possible psychological techniques being used on you in every day life such as orders from authority and techniques used by advertisers and salesmen, thus you can become more able to resist these influences.

But then, I am coming from quite a bias viewpoint as I love psychology. :tongue: Also, its not very well respected... But then, that's not what you were asking for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Personally I think all subjects are delightful. And why are getting into racism? We all look the same in the dark.. can't we all just get along?

*Neggers are nerd faggots, enjoy your **** lives.
(edited 11 years ago)
foreign languages :smile:
BTEC P.E.

Erm, joke... Do people on this site have some condition where they can't detect sarcasm?
(edited 11 years ago)
Mathematics :smile:
Psychology in my opinion. Once you begin to understand why people are the way they are, it changes the way you look at the world and yourself.
Original post by aWildPidgey
BTEC P.E.

The title reads: "What is the most useful A Level?"

Your attempt at being witty has ****ed you over. :thumbdown:
Reply 18
Original post by Agenda Suicide
It really is debateable and some are most useful in different areas.

For me it has to be history, not only has my essay writing skills improved immensely but a few thousand words seems like nothing. Coupled with that is the fact it has give me great analytical skills, skills involving reading between lines and interpreting, piecing together, presenting a flawless argument, finding flaws in arguments, understanding politics, predicting politics, predicting results, predicting events plus much more.

It's really quite crazy...

I agree with this. Out of all my A Levels, History (for me) seems to be the most useful. Not only has it improved my analysing and writing skills, it's also - in a way - changed the way I look at things...if that makes any sense :tongue:

(I'm also more interested in Politics now thanks to History. I can't wait to get started on the Cold War.)
Maths. I think it helps with most university courses (all sciences) and also makes you look good because it is supposed to be one of the harder A levels, along with physics.

Quick Reply

Latest