The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by EtoileNoir
So..
I had a conditional offer for the international relations course at the University of Aberdeen. The offer was subject to me obtaining 85% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato"(it's an italian final exam) and 6.0 in IELTS (International English Testing System).
Due to some issues with my teachers (they really didn't want me to go), I obtained 82% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" and 7.0 in my IELTS.
As I have not achieved the required grades (85% in DES), the University of Aberdeen didn't confirm my place.

Now, I had as insurance Glasgow Caledonian University, where I will be studying International Business.
Would it be possible for me to change university in my second year?
I'm confident that my marks will be high because I've always dedicated myself on studying. In fact, my high school final exam result were affected by my teacher's favoritism (the commission that corrects your exams is composed by some of your teachers, and they are responsible for your final result).
I'm wondering if universities such as the University of Edinburgh or the University of Strathclyde will consider only my first year of university at Glasgow Caledonian, or they will also base their decision upon my high school marks.

I know it's long, but I really need an advice!

Yeah, of course it will be possible.
You can start contacting the Unis from now on, to see if they accept transfers and what grades do they need, in order to set ur goals. Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 641
Original post by EtoileNoir
So..
I had a conditional offer for the international relations course at the University of Aberdeen. The offer was subject to me obtaining 85% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato"(it's an italian final exam) and 6.0 in IELTS (International English Testing System).
Due to some issues with my teachers (they really didn't want me to go), I obtained 82% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" and 7.0 in my IELTS.
As I have not achieved the required grades (85% in DES), the University of Aberdeen didn't confirm my place.

Now, I had as insurance Glasgow Caledonian University, where I will be studying International Business.
Would it be possible for me to change university in my second year?
I'm confident that my marks will be high because I've always dedicated myself on studying. In fact, my high school final exam result were affected by my teacher's favoritism (the commission that corrects your exams is composed by some of your teachers, and they are responsible for your final result).
I'm wondering if universities such as the University of Edinburgh or the University of Strathclyde will consider only my first year of university at Glasgow Caledonian, or they will also base their decision upon my high school marks.

I know it's long, but I really need an advice!

You would need to check with the uni, because some unis do look at high school marks when considering transfers.
Original post by Juno
You would need to check with the uni, because some unis do look at high school marks when considering transfers.

This - almost all of them do in my experience.
Hi,

I have been told my a university that they would consider my application to transfer to them (I have just finished my first year) but I would have to enter into the start from the first year, thats not a problem for me as the University is very good and would happily re do the first year

My only question is that if I apply through UCAS to the University through clearing does that mean I technically have left my current University or not? Because I would be worried about not being accepted by the University I am applying to then losing my current place

Thanks a lot
Original post by TheCityBoy
Hi,

I have been told my a university that they would consider my application to transfer to them (I have just finished my first year) but I would have to enter into the start from the first year, thats not a problem for me as the University is very good and would happily re do the first year

My only question is that if I apply through UCAS to the University through clearing does that mean I technically have left my current University or not? Because I would be worried about not being accepted by the University I am applying to then losing my current place

Thanks a lot

No, you wouldn't automatically lose your place at your current uni by using Clearing :nah:
Original post by TheCityBoy
Hi,

Thanks a lot

As above

However if you start a new course at a new university you will be subject to the new, higher fee regime (even though you will be transferring).
Reply 646
In a bit of a mess now. I had applied for a second year transfer last month which required 120 credits. I checked with the uni admission centre and they said they were still accepting applications. Well I recieves my grades and got my 120 credits, but the uni have declined my application due to be being past the deadline. Is there anyway I can appeal this, or can I apply to transfer on to the second year of a course through clearing or do I have to start all over again?

Edit: Your application is no longer being considered by Middlesex University for Human Resource Management, N600 because either they have decided not to offer you a place or your application has been withdrawn. The reason is given below.
The above institution has not sent us a decision about your application by the agreed deadline. As a result your application to this university or college is unsuccessful.

This is what my decision letter says....wtf
Reply 647
Bump
Original post by -bill-
In a bit of a mess now. I had applied for a second year transfer last month which required 120 credits. I checked with the uni admission centre and they said they were still accepting applications. Well I recieves my grades and got my 120 credits, but the uni have declined my application due to be being past the deadline. Is there anyway I can appeal this, or can I apply to transfer on to the second year of a course through clearing or do I have to start all over again?

Edit: Your application is no longer being considered by Middlesex University for Human Resource Management, N600 because either they have decided not to offer you a place or your application has been withdrawn. The reason is given below.
The above institution has not sent us a decision about your application by the agreed deadline. As a result your application to this university or college is unsuccessful.

This is what my decision letter says....wtf

Today was the deadline for universities to reply to applications, otherwise UCAS automatically sets them as unsuccessful on behalf of the unis. It might be possible to get it changed, get in touch with the uni first thing tomorrow.
Reply 649
Will I have to pay the higher fees if I transfer universities, starting my 2nd year at a different university in September 2012?

Thanks, Helen
Original post by hcooper09
Will I have to pay the higher fees if I transfer universities, starting my 2nd year at a different university in September 2012?

Thanks, Helen

Nope, you'll be on the old fee if you are going straight into the second year for your course.
Reply 651
Hi there,
Is it possible for me to transfer to Glasgow University or Liverpool University if I get a 1 or a 2:1 for my first year degree course in Liverpool John Moores? Initially, I got an offer at Glasgow University, however, due to certain subject modules, I could not get in. I'm studying biochemistry.
Please advice. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by XOXOJulia
Hi there,
Is it possible for me to transfer to Glasgow University or Liverpool University if I get a 1 or a 2:1 for my first year degree course in Liverpool John Moores? Initially, I got an offer at Glasgow University, however, due to certain subject modules, I could not get in. I'm studying biochemistry.
Please advice. Thanks. :smile:

Call/email them and ask.
Reply 653
After speaking with the uni after ucas auto rejected my application, they requested some documents which detailed my grades etc, which I sent. However they said that the transcript I sent is not sufficient and does not look 'official', and that they would need a 'official transcript'. I contacted my uni tutor and he advised my best bet is to go and speak to humanities dept, but people aren't in and the campus is disrupted due to the olympics. What should I do in order to get a transcript?
Original post by -bill-
After speaking with the uni after ucas auto rejected my application, they requested some documents which detailed my grades etc, which I sent. However they said that the transcript I sent is not sufficient and does not look 'official', and that they would need a 'official transcript'. I contacted my uni tutor and he advised my best bet is to go and speak to humanities dept, but people aren't in and the campus is disrupted due to the olympics. What should I do in order to get a transcript?

Do you have contact details for the office that would provide the transcript - if so then send those contact details to your university. They might be willing to accept verification by email or phone that the marks on the transcript you sent were correct.
Original post by paddy__power
University Transfer FAQ

Hello.

I noticed that there have recently been a reasonably high volume of questions about this and, as I cannot be bothered to always make the kind of detailed replies that are appropriate, I thought it would be good to make this thread. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions for improvements and additions because obviously the better this is the more useful it will be. It was written up very rapidly by me a little earlier and is subject to considerable editing at some point.

Let me know what you think please :smile:

Thanks

Why do people transfer?

Spoiler

First steps and initial correspondence

Spoiler

The UCAS Application

Spoiler

What about a reference?

Spoiler

What about a personal statement?

Spoiler

What will my offer be contingent upon?

Spoiler

Other actions you will need to take and considerations

Spoiler

Transferring courses within the same university

Spoiler

Nice thread, so helpful. I'm considering transferring courses and if not, I'll transfer uni.

I love your sig, relate to it so much. :coma:
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nice thread, so helpful. I'm considering transferring courses and if not, I'll transfer uni.

I love your sig, relate to it so much. :coma:

I keep meaning to update it as there is more to say but it seems to do the job well enough.

Aye me too! I do love Plath <3

Good luck with your transfer(s) :h:
Hi

Hi I'm a mature student on a music degree course and I have successfully finished the first year. I have been offered a place at another university after passing an audition. At the time of the interview/audition the course leader told me that I would be accepted onto the second year of his course provided that I complete the first year successfully. I also needed to go through the UCAS system but this would be a formality. All this was done before clearing. Unfortunately my academic referee from my first course went on holiday without doing my reference, so I had to get another tutor to do i by which time clearing had kicked in.

Worried, I contacted UCAS and they assured me that provided I complete the UCAS process and notify the admissions office of the new college there would be no problem. This I duly did. The course leader of the new course sent an email to myself and the admissions office confirming my place on the course.

Yesterday I received an email from the admissions department saying
" unfortunately Starting in year 1 would not show academic progresssion which is the requirement for The Tier 4 visa,Therefore we cannot admit this student to year 1.

Ive emailed back as this is completely baffling to me. I've no idea what tier 4 visa means and I understood I would be going into year 2.

If this constitutes a rejection, where do I stand as I've told my old course I'm leaving and I'd be heart broken not to get onto this new course?
Original post by Patrick okeeffe
Hi

Hi I'm a mature student on a music degree course and I have successfully finished the first year. I have been offered a place at another university after passing an audition. At the time of the interview/audition the course leader told me that I would be accepted onto the second year of his course provided that I complete the first year successfully. I also needed to go through the UCAS system but this would be a formality. All this was done before clearing. Unfortunately my academic referee from my first course went on holiday without doing my reference, so I had to get another tutor to do i by which time clearing had kicked in.

Worried, I contacted UCAS and they assured me that provided I complete the UCAS process and notify the admissions office of the new college there would be no problem. This I duly did. The course leader of the new course sent an email to myself and the admissions office confirming my place on the course.

" unfortunately Starting in year 1 would not show academic progresssion which is the requirement for The Tier 4 visa,Therefore we cannot admit this student to year 1.

Ive emailed back as this is completely baffling to me. I've no idea what tier 4 visa means and I understood I would be going into year 2.

If this constitutes a rejection, where do I stand as I've told my old course I'm leaving and I'd be heart broken not to get onto this new course?

Tier 4 visa is for those who come to the UK as an 'adult student'. So I assume you're in the UK for study? If not, then you'll have to contact the university and make them aware of your situation. Either way, just contact the university/wait for them to reply and explain you understood and had an agreement as such that you'd be going into year 2.
Original post by Patrick okeeffe
Hi

Tier 4 visa is an issue for international students - in order to fulfil visa requirements you have to keep moving through a course - you can't re-start without re-applying for a new visa.

In your case it sounds like your application ended up on the wrong desk at your new uni. Give them a ring ASAP, explain that you're applying for yr 2 entry and were told that the UCAS form was a formality as long as you passed yr 1 at your current uni (and that your application was delayed waiting for a reference from your current uni).

Ask them what they want you to do in order to fulfil the formalities via UCAS. They'll probably just ask you to re-refer yourself through clearing :smile:

Don't worry - it's a busy time of year and it sounds like a geniune mistake. Phone up and take names and you should be fine :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending