The Student Room Group

If you start a job/scheme on £20-25000...

..What kind of basic salary will you be looking at 2-4, or 5-8 years down the line?

I don't want to hear 'blah blah it depends', I'm aware it depends, but I'm looking for thought from experienced people or people who are have heard things from friends

Just assume it is a big company that isn't going down the pan, a standard 8 hour day and your performance is on par with what your employer expects

I'm just trying to gauge how quickly a career progresses in terms of salary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
35k after 10 years
Reply 2
Original post by Firepanda
..What kind of basic salary will you be looking at 2-4, or 5-8 years down the line?

I don't want to hear 'blah blah it depends', I'm aware it depends, but I'm looking for thought from experienced people or people who are have heard things from friends

Just assume it is a big company that isn't going down the pan, a standard 8 hour day and your performance is on par with what your employer expects

This question implies ignorance. We need to know what field; what qualifications you have etc. etc. You can't gauge it because we don't know what promotion/training prospects are, what companies policies are on such things.
Reply 3
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Firstly, please do not use vulgar language - there is no need for it.
I meant you are ignorant in the fact that you have no idea what your asking about. Every field varies WIDELY.
Secondly, if you give a specific question, like "In a high-street bank" I could give you a very good answer, references and tips. Unfortunately you don't seem to understand this.
Perhaps try to be a bit more polite as I was only asking for more information so I could help or further investigate for you rather than leave uneducated guesses that just misinform.

Very rude people like you shouldn't be employed at all.

Sorry, but my biggest pet peeve is when I ask someone a broad question and I get an 'it depends' answer.

I don't ask the question to get listed all the variables, I ask it because I want insight. I want you to convey any knowledge you may have on the subject, even if you feel it's not necessarily representative as a whole.

If you have info on the banking sector then it would be great to hear it.
Reply 4
Sorry, but my biggest pet peeve is when I ask someone a broad question and I get an 'it depends' answer.

I don't ask the question to get listed all the variables, I ask it because I want insight. I want you to convey any knowledge you may have on the subject, even if you feel it's not necessarily representative as a whole.

What in the hell are you smoking. Can I have some?

Nah but seriously, it really does depend. Here's some broad estimations for you;

y1 - 25k (begin scheme)
y2 - 27k
y3 - 30k
y4 - 25k (recession)
y5 - 30k
y6 - 25k (double dip)
y7 - 30k
y8 - 4m (you made director)
Reply 5

If you want insight into the banking sector, i will let u know that the starting salary is at least 35k not 25k.
Reply 6

For some public sector jobs (universities, NHS for example), you can expect an increase of about 1k per year as you move up the increments and jumps of 5-10k if you are promoted to a higher band.
Reply 7

He was completely correct in answering your broad question with that answer.

I'm going to assume you'll start out as a bin man (seen as that the intelligence you convey with your question)

Year 1 25k
Year 2 25k
Year 3 25k
Year 4 25k
Year 5 25k
Year 6 25k
Year 7 25k
Year 8 25k
Year 9 25k
Year 10 25k

I took the liberty of assuming you wouldn't get promoted to chief bin man as you were asking silly questions during your round.
Reply 8
Original post by iSMark

I'm going to assume you'll start out as a bin man (seen as that the intelligence you convey with your question)

Year 1 25k
Year 2 25k
Year 3 25k
Year 4 25k
Year 5 25k
Year 6 25k
Year 7 25k
Year 8 25k
Year 9 25k
Year 10 25k

I took the liberty of assuming you wouldn't get promoted to chief bin man as you were asking silly questions during your round.

Does this bin man live do the rounds in Mayfair? Jees, 25k salary for chucking a few bags in the boot, might change profession :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by M1011
Does this bin man live do the rounds in Mayfair? Jees, 25k salary for chucking a few bags in the boot, might change profession :tongue:

http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Bin_Man_4360

You get paid a lot.
Reply 10

Crazy! Although the data does look a bit dodgy :tongue:

"In 2008, the average salary for this job was £50,000."

"The average salary in 2011 was £19,850, based on 4 respondents (a difference of -35% from the 2010 figure."

It would appear one gentleman is making 75,000 in his role as a bin man lol.
Reply 11
Original post by M1011

Believe it or not, that is about the average of a 'basic' bin man salary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346480/Birmingham-binmen-strike-paid-45K-year.html

Ignore the 45k bit in the link and see the ave. salary
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

How are we supposed to guess when we have no idea which industry you're in or what position you're doing?
Reply 13
Original post by iSMark
Believe it or not, that is about the average of a 'basic' bin man salary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346480/Birmingham-binmen-strike-paid-45K-year.html

Ignore the 45k bit in the link and see the ave. salary

Crazy, especially given the hours reported in that link. 20 hour weeks and high 20s average salary? I'll be working triple that as a uni graduate just to make the same money (in London as well to add insult to injury). Glad to see tax money being well spent!

*develops new hate for bin men*
Reply 14
Original post by M1011
Crazy, especially given the hours reported in that link. 20 hour weeks and high 20s average salary? I'll be working triple that as a uni graduate just to make the same money (in London as well to add insult to injury). Glad to see tax money being well spent!

*develops new hate for bin men*

Your job will probably have career progression, a bin man has little.
Reply 15
Original post by iSMark
Your job will probably have career progression, a bin man has little.

I dunno, there's that one bin man on 75k according to that 'mysalary' link! :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by iSMark

Year 1 25k
Year 2 25k
Year 3 25k
Year 4 25k
Year 5 25k
Year 6 25k
Year 7 25k
Year 8 25k
Year 9 25k
Year 10 25k

I kinda wish my original response wasn't deleted by the mods for being 'vulgar' because it is far more suited to you. Don't answer it if you don't have anything to add, he shouldn't answer it that way because I specifically said in the Op I didn't want it answered that way. Logic, do you know it?

Original post by hiding12
How are we supposed to guess when we have no idea which industry you're in or what position you're doing?

Because... BECAUSE... DEAR GOD BECAUSE I don't want you to guess perhaps? I want insight.

Because... BECAUSE... DEAR GOD BECAUSE I don't want you to guess perhaps? I want insight.

Insight into what? Without particulars any figures you get given are basically just made up. It really does depend massively on industry, company, location. Start on 20k as an accountant and you might be earning £45-50k 3 years down the line, or you might be earning £30k. Join as a lawyer and the increase will be bigger, maybe, generalised management scheme and it will probably be smaller, maybe.

So the answer you're looking for is that if starting on £20-25k, after 2-4 years you can expect to earn between £25-60k and after 5-8 years you can probably expect to earn between £25-£200k.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm looking for thought from experienced people or people who are have heard things from friends

Yet when experienced people are telling you that it is a bone question that can't be realistically answered, you get all angry. Different career paths are different, the economy plays a part as well as a plethora of other variables. Your question cannot be realistically answered to your satisfaction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
I kinda wish my original response wasn't deleted by the mods for being 'vulgar' because it is far more suited to you. Don't answer it if you don't have anything to add, he shouldn't answer it that way because I specifically said in the Op I didn't want it answered that way. Logic, do you know it?

Well a guess is useless it could be from anywhere between 12k-40k for a grad scheme, with completely different rates of progression

Quick Reply

Latest