The Student Room Group

IB University of Exeter Unsuccessful

I had a conditional offer of 36 IB points with a 5 in math SL to get into the University of Exeter. Sadly, i got 35 IB points with a 6 in math sl so i was 1 point off from the total and today i received an update from UCAS saying it was unsuccessful. Thing is, I requested a remark for Arabic SL ( i got a 4 in it) and it could very well hopefully go up to a 5. And if it does, ill have 36 IB points. But the university already made it unsuccessful before i got my result of the remark! So is it possible for them to reconsider if my mark does go up after the remark??? Please reply im going crazy:frown: I really wanted to go to the university:frown: Even if they dont accept me after getting the successful remark, is it possible for them to offer me a different course or could I go into foundation year??
Reply 1
In most cases if a remark is revised upwards the university in question will reconsider your offer. There is usually a deadline set that the remark needs to be in by... I'm not sure what it is for IB but for A-levels it is the 31st of August - if you get an upwardly revised remark sent to the university by this time you will (almost definitely) have your offer 'reinstated'.
Reply 2
Found year is very easy to get into for internationals like you. I know people who got EED at A Level and joined Exet's foundation programme.
Reply 3
Original post by cl3nch
I had a conditional offer of 36 IB points with a 5 in math SL to get into the University of Exeter. Sadly, i got 35 IB points with a 6 in math sl so i was 1 point off from the total and today i received an update from UCAS saying it was unsuccessful. Thing is, I requested a remark for Arabic SL ( i got a 4 in it) and it could very well hopefully go up to a 5. And if it does, ill have 36 IB points. But the university already made it unsuccessful before i got my result of the remark! So is it possible for them to reconsider if my mark does go up after the remark??? Please reply im going crazy:frown: I really wanted to go to the university:frown: Even if they dont accept me after getting the successful remark, is it possible for them to offer me a different course or could I go into foundation year??

Call them up right away and ask them to wait till the remarks come. I'm 99% certain that they'll wait, because A-level results are still ages away. They wait until the end of August for results/ remarks, so call them now and ask them to wait.
Reply 4
They didnt wait. They just declined me before waiting till my remark result comes out.
Reply 5
Original post by cl3nch
They didnt wait. They just declined me before waiting till my remark result comes out.

They will most likely retract the rejection and reconsider but only if you contact them! Have you even tried calling them?
Don't worry - if your re-mark means you make their offer by the end of August they are obliged to give you the place. They'll retract the withdrawal.

What they've done is perfectly normal - no uni is going to hang around to see who's getting a re-mark and who isn't - but the legalities are that you have until the end of August to meet the conditions of your offer.
Original post by anniemagnificent
Don't worry - if your re-mark means you make their offer by the end of August they are obliged to give you the place. They'll retract the withdrawal.

What they've done is perfectly normal - no uni is going to hang around to see who's getting a re-mark and who isn't - but the legalities are that you have until the end of August to meet the conditions of your offer.

They're actually not obliged to but they almost certainly will, but as you say, they update it on the assumption that your marks won't change.
Original post by cl3nch

Did you actually let Exeter know that you were having a remark?

If you didn't then they're not mind readers. IB results came out almost 2 weeks ago now so they would have expected you to contact them about a remark if you were having one, so because you haven't, they'll have assumed you're okay with your grades.

With remarks its crucial that applicants keep a university in the loop at all times otherwise you might lose out.
Reply 9
Original post by Potally_Tissed
They're actually not obliged to but they almost certainly will, but as you say, they update it on the assumption that your marks won't change.

Was this ever cleared up with the unis? I remember a massive fuss about the 31st "deadline" last year.
Original post by tooosh
Was this ever cleared up with the unis? I remember a massive fuss about the 31st "deadline" last year.

Without going into the detail (I need to have a read up on it actually so it's fresh in my mind this year), as I understand it, they don't have to hold your place waiting for remark grades if they've got your original results and you didn't meet the offer. That's the short version of it.

This doesn't change the advice though - if you're getting a remark, tell the university immediately and you should be fine.
Original post by tooosh

I'd look carefully at your offer letter. At the uni my sister works at (and which is also my firm!) the offer states you must meet the conditions by 31st August - so the are obliged to take you if you meet the conditions after a re-mark, as long as it's done in time. Your offer is your contract so the OP should see what it says.
Original post by anniemagnificent
I'd look carefully at your offer letter. At the uni my sister works at (and which is also my firm!) the offer states you must meet the conditions by 31st August - so the are obliged to take you if you meet the conditions after a re-mark, as long as it's done in time. Your offer is your contract so the OP should see what it says.

No they aren't. Universities are under no obligation to wait for a remark - they can treat the original results they receive as the final grades and make their decisions accordingly (though they most likely will wait for a remark, but be sure to tell them immediately if you're getting one).
No they aren't. Universities are under no obligation to wait for a remark - they can treat the original results they receive as the final grades and make their decisions accordingly (though they most likely will wait for a remark, but be sure to tell them immediately if you're getting one).

Am I right in thinking that this year's AAB shenanigans makes the 31st August deadline even more complicated than usual? I need to sit down and get my head around it.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Am I right in thinking that this year's AAB shenanigans makes the 31st August deadline even more complicated than usual? I need to sit down and get my head around it.

Interesting point, I don't really know how the AAB thing fits into it yet either. Another layer of complexity to understand :unsure:
Interesting point, I don't really know how the AAB thing fits into it yet either. Another layer of complexity to understand :unsure:

Yeah, Oxymoronic sent me a very helpful email about a UCAS course she went on in York and it seems to be a very complex issue which the universities themselves haven't quite worked out. One university (I think Bristol, but my memory's awful!) went out of its way to say they would honour the 31st deadline, but the rest didn't seem very sure. Ask Oxy to send you the stuff. It was very helpful, or will be on results day. If I try to get my head round it too early, I'll have forgotten it by then!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yeah, Oxymoronic sent me a very helpful email about a UCAS course she went on in York and it seems to be a very complex issue which the universities themselves haven't quite worked out. One university (I think Bristol, but my memory's awful!) went out of its way to say they would honour the 31st deadline, but the rest didn't seem very sure. Ask Oxy to send you the stuff. It was very helpful, or will be on results day. If I try to get my head round it too early, I'll have forgotten it by then!

We're working on all that :yep: I think I'm all clear on the 31st August "deadline" now (I expect in the vast majority of cases they'll honour it but the key point is they don't have to), but need to have a read up on this situation with AAB grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending