The Student Room Group

Have I broken my Knuckle?

A few weeks back my parents split up and I punched a wall out of frustration/stress..
I feel as though I may have broken my knuckle.. It didn't hurt at the time as my andrenaline was pumping. The next morning however it was quite swollen, but I could still clench my fist but it hurt.

4 weeks have passed now and I can bend my little finger right back, right forward, clench a fist and no pain whatsoever. However if I punch something gently or knock my knuckle the slightest it really hurts, kinda like a bad bruise.
The swelling has gone down now however my knuckle is a different shape to the one on my left hand.. Doesn't look as prominent.

Have I broken my knuckle? Bearing in mine I can clench a fist, bend my finger, rub my knuckle and feel no pain whatsoever? Only when I "knock it" on something hard, gently.
Or is it possible it's just still really bruised? I have no idea how long things like this take to heal so..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ShiFty Kid
A few weeks back my parents split up and I punched a wall out of frustration/stress..
I feel as though I may have broken my knuckle.. It didn't hurt at the time as my andrenaline was pumping. The next morning however it was quite swollen, but I could still clench my fist but it hurt.

4 weeks have passed now and I can bend my little finger right back, right forward, clench a fist and no pain whatsoever. However if I punch something gently or knock my knuckle the slightest it really hurts, kinda like a bad bruise.
The swelling has gone down now however my knuckle is a different shape to the one on my left hand.. Doesn't look as prominent.

Have I broken my knuckle? Bearing in mine I can clench a fist, bend my finger, rub my knuckle and feel no pain whatsoever? Only when I "knock it" on something hard, gently.
Or is it possible it's just still really bruised? I have no idea how long things like this take to heal so..

quite probably broke it.
I frequently see people who have lost the battle when attempting to punch things far harder and less movable than themselves.

I can guarantee as annoyed as they were before, they will be even more so after a 3 hour wait in A&E followed by 4 weeks in plaster.

Not likely in you of course because if broken then your bone will have already reset in god knows what position.
Ask your GP to send you for an x-ray or attend your local minor injuries unit.
I punched a wall full force and I got a little lump on my knuckle and after 5 minutes it was swollen. My mobility is semi normal but when I move or touch my knuckle, it makes a grinding noise on the inside and it went purple straight away Is it broken

Quick Reply