The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A BSc is more 'math-sy' than a BA in a lot of subjects (eg Economics).

Neither is really better than the other - but people taking a BSc are likely to say that a BSc is better etc.. A lot of which is preffered is subjective I think.
Reply 2
its jsut Arts versus Sciences really

hence Bachelors of Arts
Bachelors of Sciences

some subs, like Econ can fall into both
Reply 3
The problem with rep on this website is, because I'm convinced I have OCD and like collecting little green gems, I can't make jokes about BA degrees without fearing the wrath of 100 BA students negative rep. So I have to shut up.
Reply 4
There's no difference. It's only a name. The subject you're studying is more important.
Reply 5
BSc is more science orientated and some people may say that a science maybe be harder than an art subjects but it just depends really.
Reply 6
Not necessarily. Some science subjects are named BA.

BA/BSci is just a name.
Reply 7
BSc = more money
Reply 8
Generally they differ in the content of the course in term of amount of maths/quantitative techniques required. But it also depends on courses. some BAs have equal amount of maths as BScs. Again, because of the name of science, BScs are generally more well respected by looking, if you are doing economics/accounting kinda courses especially.
Reply 9
tickular
BSc = more money

Where on earth have you unearthed that rumour?
I think this should be stopped here before it develops into an arguement.
Elles
Some universities (I know of Oxbridge - anywhere else?) only award BAs at bachelors level for some historical reason. So my degree in Medical Sciences is a BA. :p:

But for subjects where you have a choice of BA/BSc degrees (e.g. Psychology, Economics) it might be important to decide which suits you more - because it will probably reflect the approach taken to the subject in the course and potentially how employers view it.

Do you know why that is? Thats why traditions are bad!

These threads always develop into a 'my dads bigger than your dad type.' (I should know, thats how i obtained all my -Ve reps so far!)
Reply 12
Probably for the same reason that a PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy.

It's just a traditional thing.
Iscariot
Probably for the same reason that a PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy.

It's just a traditional thing.

Actually, the tradition of referring to a Doctorate in Philosophy as PhD did not originate here, but in the states and is not that old - this is why Oxford has a DPhil programme rather than a PhD programme, for example.
Reply 14
What's the difference between DPhil and PhD?

And why is it a Doctor of Philosophy and not some other subject like the subject you're getting it in?
Reply 15
Lou_

And why is it a Doctor of Philosophy and not some other subject like the subject you're getting it in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhD

"In medieval times, any research outside the fields of theology or medicine was called "philosophy", hence the Ph.D. degree covers a wide range of subjects. Contemporary Ph.D. degrees are awarded in nearly every field of the sciences and the humanities."

Which is why doctors in the hospital aren't really doctors at all, they have an MBChB (Medicinæ Baccalaureus et Baccalaureus Chirurgiæ - Latin for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) rather than a PhD.
Lou_

There isn't one.

Lou_

Historical reasons.
Reply 17
If you take BSc as science etc degrees and BA as arts degrees, BSc students will tell you BA is for lazy no hopers who want to sit around doing nothing all day. BA students will tell you BSc is for geeks and losers who have no life. So they're about equal, although to the general public science may be considered more difficult than arts, but definately for me I find arts alot harder than science.
Iscariot
The problem with rep on this website is, because I'm convinced I have OCD and like collecting little green gems, I can't make jokes about BA degrees without fearing the wrath of 100 BA students negative rep. So I have to shut up.

You little pussy, grow some balls.

Neither are more respected, because it depends what you want to do. Obviously a vetinary surgery will be looking for Bscs, but it won't be any use if you want to apply for an art job at a game company, or whatever.
Reply 19
Iscariot
Well then going by your concept, the BSc students here should be giving you positive rep, and considering positive rep is 2X the worth of negative rep for each individual, that seems a little flawed. :rolleyes:
tickular
BSc = more money

And you = naive and/or ignorant.

Latest

Trending

Trending