The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Nope
Consider the substitution y=ax y = a - x and the fact that 0af(x)dx=a0f(x)dx \int_0^a f(x) dx = - \int_a^0 f(x) dx
[joke]
if we define "one" as "two" and "two as "one" does that gives "two plus two equals one"?

anyway, join request on the way
~|Shock|~
[joke]
if we define "one" as "two" and "two as "one" does that gives "two plus two equals one"?

anyway, join request on the way

NO
Ekpyrotic
Ok, I understand it's customary to post a problem. Might be a little old but it's a good 'un.

ABC is isosceles.

AB=BCAB=BC

AB=5AB= \sqrt 5

AC=2AC=2

Find a way to cut the triangle into 4 pieces so that they can be constructed to form a regular square.

I must be some sort of idoit but can someone put a hint?

Another problem, though not very mathys:

A farmer has the following three fields and he has 4 sons and 4 daughters. He wants to leave them with land when he passes away and to be fair they all have to have the same size plot and same shape plot. How can this be achieved?

The Muon
A farmer has the following three fields and he has 4 sons and 4 daughters. He wants to leave them with land when he passes away and to be fair they all have to have the same size plot and same shape plot. How can this be achieved?

Does the solution involve molesting his eldest daughter to acquire a ninth child? It's plausible; you know what farmers are like :jiggy:. I think. *ahem*.
The Muon
I must be some sort of idoit but can someone put a hint?

Another problem, though not very mathys:

How about leaving one field for animals to graze upon, and dividing the remaining two fields into equally sized squares and give them to his children? :smile:
Mathematician!
How about leaving one field for animals to graze upon, and diving the remaining two fields into equally sized squares and give them to his children? :smile:

I do not know the answer, it's on the wall at college and I can never figure it out.
The Muon
I do not know the answer, it's on the wall at college and I can never figure it out.

Well this is plausible, as it doesn't say you can't leave a field for animals :p:
DeanK22
Have not drawn this out just thought about in my head but;

Spoiler

Spoiler

Should do it - everbody gets 9 9 rectangles.

Off topic, but did DeanK2 get a perm. ban?
DeanK22
This is the same person :rolleyes: ...

No really? :rolleyes:

What I meant is did your other account get a perm. ban?
DeanK22
I requested such a ban due to spending too much time on TSR - the irony.

Lol! Why did you start a new account then? :eyeball:
Changed your mind?
Mathematician!
Lol! Why did you start a new account then? :eyeball:
Changed your mind?

TSR was the cause for quite literally doing nothing in terms of school work and I thought this would have affected my exams (considering I had done no homework in any of my subjects) and I need three a for Oxford. Considering how my exams have recently gone though I found that you can quite literally learn whole modules in one or three days - subject specific - ergo TSR time.
DeanK22
TSR was the cause for quite literally doing nothing in terms of school work and I thought this would have affected my exams (considering I had done no homework in any of my subjects) and I need three a for Oxford. Considering how my exams have recently gone though I found that you can quite literally learn whole modules in one or three days - subject specific - ergo TSR time.

Lol fair enough.
DeanK22
This is the same person :rolleyes: ...

lmao!
Prettier rep though. :wink:
The Muon
lmao!

Anymore wall challenges?
how about something simple, criticise the logical paradox in the statement:
"This statement is false"

lol dean you made a new accout because your rep was low :rofl:
Quickie.

Sir Gustaff is happy when smoking ciggareetes and drinking wine. So happy his happyness is proprtional to the square of the number of bottels of wine he has in one day multiplied by the packets of ciggarettes he has in one day. A bottle of wine costs 3 pounds, ciggarettes cost 2 pound. He has an allowance of 100 pounds. What amount of alcohol and ciggarettes should Gustaff acquire to achive greatest happyness?
question

Quick Reply

Latest