The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Changing from BSc Econ to BSc EME, good idea?

Hello people.
I just finished my first year exams and it all went well thankfully. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the prestige and the recognition of the Econometrics and Mathematical Economics degree is better, worse or same as BSc in Econ when it comes to grad school applications and job applications. EME seems to be more mathematically inclined, clearly, and it requires you to complete a 10K word project by the end of third year which I personally think is kind of cool and really useful if you want to know what economic research can be like. In any case, BSc in Econ, my current course, offers more choice which is great, and also Economics at London School of Economics is apparently 'the best' and outshines EME in terms of prestige (or so I have heard). Please tell me if I should try to change my course because I personally think EME might actually be more prestigious simply since it seems more academically challenging. Any feedback from LSE enthusiasts would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Much love
Fazzaalllll
Reply 1
Prestigious? Not really. The MSc EME is definitely better, but nobody cares about the BSc. In terms of how it'll look on a CV, it'll make no difference. But it can be advantageous if you're thinking about doing postgrad economics -- and that's only if you take the harder modules in the econ department like the 3rd year metric theory which isn't offered under BSc Econ. Otherwise it's no more 'academically challenging' than the standard econ course.

There are quite a few people that try to switch to the course after the first year and so get in contact with your academic advisor and the departmental tutor right away if you are sure you want to switch, and then you might be given a conditional offer based on your exam results. I would say it's only a good idea to switch if you definitely intend to do postgrad econ and take the toughest modules along the way.

Danny111's just taken his finals for the EME course, I believe. Might be worth getting his input.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Overmars
Prestigious? Not really. The MSc EME is definitely better, but nobody cares about the BSc. In terms of how it'll look on a CV, it'll make no difference. But it can be advantageous if you're thinking about doing postgrad economics -- and that's only if you take the harder modules in the econ department like the 3rd year metric theory which isn't offered under BSc Econ. Otherwise it's no more 'academically challenging' than the standard econ course.

There are quite a few people that try to switch to the course after the first year and so get in contact with your academic advisor and the departmental tutor right away if you are sure you want to switch, and then you might be given a conditional offer based on your exam results. I would say it's only a good idea to switch if you definitely intend to do postgrad econ and take the toughest modules along the way.

Danny111's just taken his finals for the EME course, I believe. Might be worth getting his input.

Thanks! That was really useful. I have already contacted Judith Shapiro, and am meeting her tomorrow regarding this.

Cheers!
Reply 3
Original post by Overmars

It kind of is more prestigious. There is only 10 of us versus 200 or so econ students.

You can take EC309 on straight economics with permission. There is a girl who is doing it who did not even take MA203 (which is really helpful for MT) and she did well. And if you want my two cents, I'm sure it is harder to score well in 333 than 309. It's just very mathematical and theoretical, so you have to be up for that.

But yes, the main reason you would want to switch is if you are interested in postgrad study, or if you just really want to do a project in the third year, because other than EC331 (the project), you can take all the same modules. All the people I know that switched in, did for either or both of those reasons. If you do decide you want to switch, Overmars is right, talk to advisor and departmental tutor.

Mind of you, if you are interested in the MSc EME, the current course manager for that (Prof. Hidalgo) told us that EC309 is a pre-requisite.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by danny111
It kind of is more prestigious. There is only 10 of us versus 200 or so econ students.

You can take EC309 on straight economics with permission. There is a girl who is doing it who did not even take MA203 (which is really helpful for MT) and she did well. And if you want my two cents, I'm sure it is harder to score well in 333 than 309. It's just very mathematical and theoretical, so you have to be up for that.

But yes, the main reason you would want to switch is if you are interested in postgrad study, or if you just really want to do a project in the third year, because other than EC331 (the project), you can take all the same modules. All the people I know that switched in, did for either or both of those reasons. If you do decide you want to switch, Overmars is right, talk to advisor and departmental tutor.

Mind of you, if you are interested in the MSc EME, the current course manager for that (Prof. Hidalgo) told us that EC309 is a pre-requisite.

Yeah I talked to Dr. Shapiro, and she thinks its possible. Thanks a bunch!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending