The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Sg

Original post by Tom_Sg
Ok thank you ! I saved it in my favorite :wink:

3h30 Cantebury - Southampton by train sounds good ?

Yeah it's probably the best you'll find using public transport, the only thing which would be quicker is car.
Reply 201
Ok thank you ! :biggrin:
01jtiong
what is the cheapest ticket available from edinburgh to london, cheapest was on a tv ad, £16 one way £36 return, is that the most cheapest you can get or is there others

Train tickets from Edinburgh to Kings Cross are available from £14.50. If you use a 16-25 railcard the price is taken down to £9.55.

This cheaper ticket type is called an advance single and is generally available to buy 10-12 weeks before travel date. The conditions of this ticket is that you can only travel on the train that you have booked and if you cancel the trip the ticket is non refundable.

If you know exactly when you want to travel, can fix your time and book early it is worth hunting for these cheaper fares.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Sg
What is an off peak return ? Can't chose my hour ? (around 14h/15h)

There are two different routes you can go. Which route were you thinking of going? Via London?
Reply 204
Yes via london ? What is the other ?__?
Reply 205
You can either go along the high speed line (Canterbury-London St Pancras-London Victoria-Southampton) or via the slower line (Canterbury-London Waterloo-Southampton), difference is 3:16 vs 3:36).

Either way it'll cost you £56.40 return (going out Friday coming back Sunday), or £37.25 with a railcard
Reply 206
I've already taken the london underground but it's easy to go to London victoria from london st pancras ?
Reply 207
Original post by Tom_Sg
I've already taken the london underground but it's easy to go to London victoria from london st pancras ?

It's not too bad, just jump straight onto the Victoria line, it's 5 stops and takes about 10 minutes
Reply 208
S'all good thanks :smile:)
Original post by Tom_Sg
Yes via london ? What is the other ?__?

Quote me for a reply, otherwise I don't know you've responded :wink:

Basically there are TWO routes you can travel between Canterbury and Southampton - the Any Permitted one which is valid across London and costs £56.40 - or go via Ashford or London Victoria and Barnham and costs £29.00.

Off Peak times vary, but for this particular ticket you'll be fine after 9:30 both ways.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for keeping to the thread guys, please encourage all other UK public transport questions to be posted in here :smile:
Reply 211
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Quote me for a reply, otherwise I don't know you've responded :wink:

Basically there are TWO routes you can travel between Canterbury and Southampton - the Any Permitted one which is valid across London and costs £56.40 - or go via Ashford or London Victoria and Barnham and costs £29.00.

Off Peak times vary, but for this particular ticket you'll be fine after 9:30 both ways.

Via Ashford, where can I take this way ? ^^

Thank you for your reply !

Original post by rockrunride
Thanks for keeping to the thread guys, please encourage all other UK public transport questions to be posted in here :smile:

Np ! :biggrin:
Original post by Tom_Sg
Via Ashford, where can I take this way ? ^^

Thank you for your reply !

You can get the train from Canterbury West to Ashford International, get another train to Brighton from there and change at Brighton for the service to Southampton.

You could also get the train from Canterbury East to London Victoria and change there for the service to Southampton.

These two routes will be £29.00 return, just as long as you pass through Barnham. However, these routes take up to an hour longer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other routes involve crossing London to either Paddington or Waterloo. They are quicker but will cost £56.40 return.

Personally I'd be willing to travel on the slower service as it is half the price, but that's not for everyone.
Reply 213
I'll take the way by London ( 37£, it's cheap)
Reply 214
Anyone who lives in Hertfordshire or knows their way round- could you tell me the best way to be travelling to and from Hatfield? Quickest & cheapest option is preferable :biggrin: Thanks in advance
Reply 215
Are you going to uni in hatfield or oxford?
Reply 216
Original post by KatieJL
Are you going to uni in hatfield or oxford?

Going to Herts Uni, want to be travelling back to Oxford
Original post by Navita:)
Going to Herts Uni, want to be travelling back to Oxford

Best bet would probably be to head into King's Cross on First Capital Connect, across to Paddington and up to Oxford on First Great Western. Failing that you could probably get two buses to connect at Heathrow Airport.
Reply 218
Original post by rockrunride
Best bet would probably be to head into King's Cross on First Capital Connect, across to Paddington and up to Oxford on First Great Western. Failing that you could probably get two buses to connect at Heathrow Airport.

I've researched it & found that there should be a bus that goes to Paddington from the Uni and then train it home. Just wondering if there was an easier way. Thanks for your help!
Reply 219
I've just bought an off peak return for tomorrow and noticed the leaving time is 13.02 but I wanted the 14.02 train. There's no seat reservations. Can I use my ticket for the later train?

Also I booked online and have to collect my ticket from a ticket machine. Would it be deleted if I didn't collect before 13.02?

Quick Reply