The Student Room Group

Architectural Association 2012

Scroll to see replies

Ex Death does raise an interesting point. Zaha worked for what - 8 years with a fully staffed office before winning a major commission. How much of that is the "AA effect" and how much of it is is the 'bank of dad' effect? I'm pretty sure a large number of grads from the better schools of architecture could go on to win prizes if unencumbered by the need to do work that pays the bills...
Reply 41
I really don't see why you have to anihilate each other over this. AA is a great school, so are Bartlett, Cardiff and the others. It's mere approach to architecture is different, but it's outstanding. Yes, due to its being a private school there must be a number of students who only got in for financial reasons, but even with their contacts they won't succeed.
Having said that, I'm not British, not rich and
not stupid either.
I don't understand why you can't discuss this as two civilized men.
Reply 42
Sent my folio for a Diploma place about 3 weeks ago,

How soon can i expect to hear back from them ? Anyone

Cheers
Reply 43
Last friday at the end of my interview, they said they'd get back to me within a week. I hate having to be patient, I hope they really email me today. Somehow I doubt it though.
Reply 44
Original post by anightrem
Hi! I'm applying for First Year as well :smile: mine is on 30 april. I've no idea what to expect haha

Mine is May 10th, has anyone already had being interviewed? How is it?
Reply 45
Ok, now I'm really pissed and worried. Why would they tell me that they'd get back to me whithin a week after the interview? It's been two weeks, and nothing and I even emailed them once.
Reply 46
Original post by msas1
Ok, now I'm really pissed and worried. Why would they tell me that they'd get back to me whithin a week after the interview? It's been two weeks, and nothing and I even emailed them once.

i take it back, i just received an unconditional offer for first year :smile:
Original post by msas1

Congratulations......

I am still waiting to hear about someone who didn't get into the AA, though...
Reply 48
Original post by jrhartley
Congratulations......

I am still waiting to hear about someone who didn't get into the AA, though...

thanks.. i know your oppinion, you've already expressed it way too many times, please don't ruin this for me. besides, i'm pretty sure they didn't accept me for my money, i indicated both in my application and at the interview, that without a scholarship i wouldn't be able to study there.
Reply 49
Congratulations! I look forward to meeting you, if you decide to attend. You have so many great offers...
Reply 50
Original post by bobanie
Congratulations! I look forward to meeting you, if you decide to attend. You have so many great offers...

oh i do decide to attend :smile: it all depends on scholarships now. i'll pm you my facebook link, add me, if you'd like
Reply 51
Original post by msas1
oh i do decide to attend :smile: it all depends on scholarships now. i'll pm you my facebook link, add me, if you'd like

Hey congratulations on your offer! I got an offer for foundation year. Have you decided if the aa is your final choice or not?
Reply 52
Original post by sadia1993
Hey congratulations on your offer! I got an offer for foundation year. Have you decided if the aa is your final choice or not?

well, i'd prefer the aa, but if i don't get a scholarship and cannot come up with something i'd go to csm. but i really hope, that i can go to the aa, it is my top choice.
Reply 53
Hi, i received an offer for MSc Sustainable Environmental Design at the AA, does anyone know about scholarships or funding options?
Reply 54
Original post by arq_thur
Hi, i received an offer for MSc Sustainable Environmental Design at the AA, does anyone know about scholarships or funding options?

i only know about the aa first year-intermediate-diploma school scholarships, for those courses you need to have indicated in your application that you'd need a scholarship, and they ask you at the interview too. the admissions panel then decides whether they want to forward your application to the scholarship committee, which will assemble in mid-june and pick those who receive scholarships. once you are an aa student you can apply for bursaries too, other than that i'm not sure if there are more options.
but this is relevant for the aforementioned courses, i don't know if there's a different process for the msc courses. you should check out the riba website, they've got some postgrad scholarships.
Reply 55
Original post by pacvazalo
Mine is May 10th, has anyone already had being interviewed? How is it?

yeah! just went for my interview few days ago. it was alright, they asked mainly about the stuff i'm interested in and showed them some sketchbooks and all :smile: nothing to worry bout! lemme know how yours go!
Reply 56
Original post by msas1

congrats! i got an offer for first year too! :> is aa your first choice? i look forward to seeing you there!
Reply 57
Original post by anightrem
congrats! i got an offer for first year too! :> is aa your first choice? i look forward to seeing you there!

it definitely is! congrats to you too!
Reply 58
Original post by msas1
well, i'd prefer the aa, but if i don't get a scholarship and cannot come up with something i'd go to csm. but i really hope, that i can go to the aa, it is my top choice.

Well I really hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 59
Hi Everyone,

I just received a place for foundation at the school :biggrin:

Just wondering 2 things:
1) I'm 17 (turning 18), is that similar ages to all of you who have got in for foundation?
2) Does attending foundation guarantees a first year place the following year?

Thanks
randereen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest