The Student Room Group

HIS3G -- British State and People, 1865-1915 AQA A2 June 2012

Hey guys I've got this exam next month and I'm incredibly worried about the amount of content we need to know.

I've been told that the book is pretty useless when it comes to the example ( it focuses on the Fenians when referring to Ireland but they're only briefly mentioned on the spec for example). So I've been given so many sheets, books and booklets from class all of which I have no idea how to organise (should I go in order of Gladstone/Disraeli, Conservative Dominance, New Liberalism or look at Ireland, Domestic Politics, Economy and Foreign policy from all the periods together?)

I've been making some notes here based on stuff I've gotten in class. They're nowhere near finished but I can PM anyone if they're interested and possibly they could tell me if I need to write more or if I'm missing anything out.

Anyway, how about we get this ball rolling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm taking this exam too in less than 2 weeks now and feel extremely nervous about it. I don't know half of the content partly due to my teacher's teaching methods (talks AT us for hours) but I think it is a relatively difficult exam. If I were you, I'd organise notes on Ireland, Domestic Politics, Foreign policy, Conservative ascendancy and Labour Party etc. and then within these organise it in order of PM.

Thankfully another teacher made some powerpoints on all of the topics. I can send you a link for them if you'd like. I've been going through these the past few weeks, and honestly, if it wasn't for these, I would be failing the course right now.

Also, do you know if there's definitely a question on Ireland every year? Apparently AQA announced this but I'm not too sure.
Reply 2
Original post by annsan93
I'm taking this exam too in less than 2 weeks now and feel extremely nervous about it. I don't know half of the content partly due to my teacher's teaching methods (talks AT us for hours) but I think it is a relatively difficult exam. If I were you, I'd organise notes on Ireland, Domestic Politics, Foreign policy, Conservative ascendancy and Labour Party etc. and then within these organise it in order of PM.

Thankfully another teacher made some powerpoints on all of the topics. I can send you a link for them if you'd like. I've been going through these the past few weeks, and honestly, if it wasn't for these, I would be failing the course right now.

Also, do you know if there's definitely a question on Ireland every year? Apparently AQA announced this but I'm not too sure.

I think there has been a question on Ireland every year until now but I've not heard anything about there having to be a question about Ireland every year.

What is interesting thought is that they have to cover the entire spec and they haven't touched the economy (comprising 1/4 of the spec) since the spec was released. The only problem is (if you choose to focus on the economy) that it doesn't overlap with anything else (apart from say, the protectionist debate and maybe war stuff) so we only spent a couple of lessons on it in class.

Please could you send me those slides. I'd really appreciate that :smile:
Reply 3
I literally have to learn the whole syllabus in a week, I would be very grateful if you could send me those power-points!

Have just joined thestudentroom this second, and I'm not sure how you would send them to me? Do I give you my email?
Reply 4
Hiya,

I was wondering if you could send me your notes as well please, although I'm not entirely sure how you would do that either :s-smilie:

Thanks
Reply 5
Luckily my teacher has given us some resources to help with this and it breaks the content down into 4 sections. If you can get a book from a library I would recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britain-1851-1918-Advanced-History-Texts/dp/0719574897 just to give you the extra information you need. It may also help with some historical debate in which you will need.

Look at synoptic issues so Ireland, Economy, Foreign and Imperial Policy, Change in Conservative and Liberal Ideas, Democracy, Liberal Ideas in 1914 and Social Reform.
You could also get a question on individuals during the period I have been given 7 key names which include: Gladstone, Disraeli, Chamberlain, Salisbury, Balfour, Asquith and Lloyd George.

Unfortunately I can not find the resource but if you PM I will write out the content specification break down for you!
Reply 6
Hey, I'm the same and the exam is so soon! Could I have a copy of those slides too?!
Reply 7
Could i have them too please? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 8

Spoiler

This is my plan. I'm using the core textbook and classnotes but I have no idea on quotes from Historians :?
hey guys, exam is relatively soon!! how does everyone feel about it?

my teacher is obsessed in thinking that New Libs and Classical Libs will come up.
I hate to say it but I think the economy will come up too something about the depression will kill me.
I checked some past papers, nothing on Balfour? hmm could that be the short time period question.
Reply 10
Original post by Japanese_delegate
hey guys, exam is relatively soon!! how does everyone feel about it?

my teacher is obsessed in thinking that New Libs and Classical Libs will come up.
I hate to say it but I think the economy will come up too something about the depression will kill me.
I checked some past papers, nothing on Balfour? hmm could that be the short time period question.

New Libs vs Gladstonians would be interesting but that's such a small period of time I'm really not sure how I'll manage to write 4 pages :? I'm hoping for a long term question like "Which of priminister most effectively carried out social reform 1865-1915" :sexface:
I think that organised labour could come up or more than likely the economy. This exam is far too stressful. -.-
Reply 12
Original post by annsan93

Could I have those slides too please :smile:
Could i get a copy of those slides too please. :smile:
Reply 14
So in general, what do people think is going to come up? Have any of your teachers giving any suggestions. This exam is too stressful :frown: and I've got 2 that day :frown:
Hey everyone, so glad I found this thread. :smile:
Just want to say good luck to everyone tomorrow, first off.

My teacher has told us that so far, there has been an Ireland, a social policy, and a foreign policy question.
This has been the case for two years.
But, there has been NO questions on Labour or the economy. I predict that at least one of these will come up.
By the way, Foreign policy is DISGUSTING.
There is always a question on Ireland, Foreign Policy and Domestic policy, that is the general layout of the exam. What is not known is which topic has a broad, middle depth or a narrow depth question. :smile:
Reply 17
My Teacher had a few likely choices: New Liberals, Early foreign policy (Disraeli and 'peace with honour') and something covering early parliamentary reforms, this possibly being the breadth question encompassing the constitutional crisis aswell.
Reply 18
Original post by buildalegohouse
Hey everyone, so glad I found this thread. :smile:
Just want to say good luck to everyone tomorrow, first off.

My teacher has told us that so far, there has been an Ireland, a social policy, and a foreign policy question.
This has been the case for two years.
But, there has been NO questions on Labour or the economy. I predict that at least one of these will come up.
By the way, Foreign policy is DISGUSTING.

I agree with Labour and economy possibly showing up too. Possibly an economy spin on an Ireland question? Alternatively, the question of whether the great depression was a myth, it's plastered all over the books, yet has never been questioned in an exam.

Also, Foreign policy is the bomb, as long as it's not Gladstone.
Reply 19
I highly doubt a thematic question will come up on foreign policy again. My guess is the economy (assessment of the Great Depression) or assessing the extent of democracy throughout the period. Is it true that Ireland is guaranteed to come up every year then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending