The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

St Catherine's College (St Catz) (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
mikeyT
Talking to some of them is like trying to catch an elephant with a mouse trap.

Ouch.

Are there lots of internationals in St. Catz?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 101
celeritas
Ouch.

Are there lots of internationals in St. Catz?

there are a few. There's lots of american visiting students.
Reply 102
mikeyT
there are a few. There's lots of american visiting students.

I'm freaking out! :eek: :biggrin: Only a few!
Reply 103
celeritas
I'm freaking out! :eek: :biggrin: Only a few!

I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting from your uni experience. Oxford is a uni based in the UK so it will take on many UK students as opposed to foreign students.
Reply 104
Oh I was expecting ~ 20% of them international. So more than few, lol!
Reply 105
When do we usually get information packs?
Reply 106
Mauve
When do we usually get information packs?

UK students usually get theirs around July/August. I don't know about international students.
Reply 107
Do any of u know any students doing Arabic at Catz I begin in Oct 2007 and still dont know if I am the only one!!
Reply 108
abs
Do any of u know any students doing Arabic at Catz I begin in Oct 2007 and still dont know if I am the only one!!

Wah... I wonder how it'd work out if you were the only one! Is it an undergraduate course or post grad?
Reply 109
abs

There's usually only one person in the year that does Arabic. You're just spread out amongst the other colleges.
Reply 110
How does the printing system work?

Do we get so much printing credit per term, can we ask for more?

What about photocopying how much is that?

Merci:smile:
Reply 111
madtaz
How does the printing system work?

Do we get so much printing credit per term, can we ask for more?

What about photocopying how much is that?

Merci:smile:

You can print from any of the college computers in the library and in the dedicated computer room. There's a printing terminal in the JCR email room as well. You can print from your own computer to the college printers if you get a some client software.
I think it costs 4p a page for black and white and 50p for colour. (you have to set the library printer to grayscale or else you get charged for colour printing). These are put on your battels.
Photocopying is 6p a page whether A4 or A3.
Reply 112
mikeyT
You can print from any of the college computers in the library and in the dedicated computer room. There's a printing terminal in the JCR email room as well. You can print from your own computer to the college printers if you get a some client software.
I think it costs 4p a page for black and white and 50p for colour. (you have to set the library printer to grayscale or else you get charged for colour printing). These are put on your battels.
Photocopying is 6p a page whether A4 or A3.

That's a rip off!
Reply 113
Can you explain how the battels system works, when do we have to pay it off?
Reply 114
Hi this is on behalf of a friend who might come to st catharines - is the JCR smoking or non? Or is it like you can smoke in the bar but not in the actual jcr? thanks.
Reply 115
You get batteled twice a term, once just after the beginning of each term and once just before the end of each term. You can pay if off by credit or debit card, cheque or direct debit or you can send it home to your parents for them to send a cheque directly to the college. I think some people get their battels sent straight home to their parents to pay. I'm not sure when you have to pay them off by because I get mine paid by direct debit so the college sets the date as two weeks after I get the invoice.

Re: smoking. The JCR has just voted for the JCR to be a non smoking area. But it'll be non smoking anyway when the new law comes in. You can smoke in your own room though.
Reply 116
Its and undergrad course. I did meet other orientalists at the interviews but none 4 Arabic.
Reply 117

Helloo... back to all the chatting about rooms etc... when do we find out what type of room we'll be getting out of the 4 MikeyT mentioned? Is it on the day we arrive? Sorry if that sounds like a daft question its just that, in other uni's, they obviously know in advance as they've applied for certain halls or what have you...

:s-smilie:
Reply 118
Cou_rage
Helloo... back to all the chatting about rooms etc... when do we find out what type of room we'll be getting out of the 4 MikeyT mentioned? Is it on the day we arrive? Sorry if that sounds like a daft question its just that, in other uni's, they obviously know in advance as they've applied for certain halls or what have you...

:s-smilie:

You won't know until the day you get here. The rent for each type of room is the same.
Reply 119
What supermarkets are closest to St Catz?

What about sports facilities, are they near to the college and is membership at a reasonable price?

Thanks.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending