The Student Room Group

policemen with handheld speed cameras

ok, just got back from being out, and i was doing about 60-70mph ish in a 40 zone (i know save me the lecture peeps) newhoo there was a policeman with a hand gun and i saw a kinda lil light come from it, i didnt see him til i was really close coz its dark.
so... i was wondering whether this means i will get a fine in the post? or whether, if i was gunna get a fine they would've pulled me over there and then?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I image you'll get at least a fine, is 30mph over the speed limit enough for more serious penalties?
Reply 2
ahh crap, i cant even hide it from my parents coz my cars in my dad's name, so they'll send the fine to him!
Reply 3
You could easily be looking at 6 points and a hefty fine.
[EDIT] Oh... and a court appearance.

Enjoy :smile:
[2nd EDIT] Oh and spotting that you're 18, you'll be still on your probation period for your licence, so your days of driving will be SEVERELY numbered if you get 6 points, I'm afraid.
Not to mention the increased cost of insurance.
Reply 4
You deserve whatever you get really.
Reply 5
mmm over limit by nearly double, in a rush somewhere?
Reply 6
you are fine, if he has a hand held gun he has to pull you over and hand the ticket to you there and then. If its a van mounted camera or a static one then you can get it in the post. This is comming from a policeman neighbour of mine when I asked him about exactly the same position with me
Reply 7
Hand held gun is *only* a radar gun, if they don't stop you, they can't get you retrospectively because there's no picture or markings on the road to go by.

So, it would seem that you've had an escape this time. But maybe remember that there might be a speed trap on that road next time? :rolleyes:

EDIT: oh, as the guy above said.
Reply 8
If it was certainly a hand-held one you are fine, if not - be prepared for license lose. However if it is a hand held one you are fine.
Apparently you're allowed to run them over... your excuse is 'I thought they had a gun and were going to shoot me.'
Ace.
report the officer for flashing at you.

thank you, thank you - here all night :biggrin:
Reply 11
A few months ago I drove past the same 2 policeman pointing a speed gun at me 2 days in a row. They were hidden on the brough of a hill, just before the limit goes from 30 to national, so I had already sped up to nearly 50 when I passed them (both times, I thought the chances of them being there 2 days in a row in the same spot at the same time were slim, I've never known it to happen before). I was a bit worried about it, waiting for 6 points on my licence, but got nothing. I have heard from many people that with the hand held guns they have to pull you over for it as the guns do not record anything but the speed, which is not enough evidence to prosecute later, so you should be fine.
Reply 12
Mad Vlad
You could easily be looking at 6 points and a hefty fine.
[EDIT] Oh... and a court appearance.

Enjoy :smile:
[2nd EDIT] Oh and spotting that you're 18, you'll be still on your probation period for your licence, so your days of driving will be SEVERELY numbered if you get 6 points, I'm afraid.
Not to mention the increased cost of insurance.

Lol. You are clearly a disturbed person. You have some psycological issues which need sorting.

Although your post indicates the worst case scenario, id bet you any money very little of it acually materialises.

What you gain from potentially putting down the OP and making them worry about something that could be nothing i do not know.

If she did actually get caught speeding, and she is actually going to get prosecuted because of it, if it was a 40 zone, i dont think she was double the limit. Thats even if she got caught. Thats even if the police were monitering speeding. Thats if they even noticed her. You are a moron.

I agree that what you said might potentially happen, but i doubt it.

Get a life and sort out your issues. Its not too late!! Im sure there are plenty of people to support yor throughout your troubles.
Reply 13
Once a friend got a ticket out the blue saying he was over the limit. got 3points and a fine - was a handheld police gun from a van i think.

Once a police stood by the side of the road with a gun, monitering the speed of oncoming traffic. While i was approaching, he flagged me down, i pulled over, he said i was speeding. I sweet talked my way out of it. it would have been 3 points and a fine.

I think if u double the limit u get 6 points or a ban (depending on speed/age etc)

e.g. 60+ in a 30 zone. 80+ in a 40 zone.

Speeding is a dogy and dangerous thing so its best not to speed too much.

Youl find that it doesnt even gain you much anyway, usually 5minutes max. traffic, traffic lights, slow drivers and bumps etc will ALWAYS slow u down, regardless of speed :smile:

once u get 3 points, you should learn your lesson. its well easy to lose your DL. i know someone who very unluckily lost it in the space of 2 days (2 cameras and a traffic light)
Reply 14
Svenssen
Once a friend got a ticket out the blue saying he was over the limit. got 3points and a fine - was a handheld police gun from a van i think.

It would either be a hand held gun, help by a police officer standing at the side of the road, which will just record the speed, or a speed camera inside a van (they have tinted windows which the camera looks through) which will photograph the vehicle so a fine can be sent in the post. It wouldn't be a hand held gun in a van.
Reply 15
Svenssen
Lol. You are clearly a disturbed person. You have some psycological issues which need sorting.

Although your post indicates the worst case scenario, id bet you any money very little of it acually materialises.

What you gain from potentially putting down the OP and making them worry about something that could be nothing i do not know.

If she did actually get caught speeding, and she is actually going to get prosecuted because of it, if it was a 40 zone, i dont think she was double the limit. Thats even if she got caught. Thats even if the police were monitering speeding. Thats if they even noticed her. You are a moron.

Get a life and sort out your issues. Its not too late!! Im sure there are plenty of people to support yor throughout your troubles.

Just because he's negative doesn't mean he's disturbed.

We like to bend the rules sometimes, but +30mph was really quite an excessive chance to take, with regards both to fines and safety. Not that the OP should worry that much, but keep it in mind for the future.
Reply 16
Svenssen

Actually what he said was entirley true. If she was caught and recorded having done 60mph-70mph in a 40mph zone she is almost certainly going to receive a court summons, quite deservedly so as well.

He gains nothing from being frank with the OP but she gains nothing either by being pissed on with flowers and jelly tots.

I would rebut your post further were it not for your impenetratable sentence structure.
Reply 17
Svenssen

...Yada yada.....

You are a moron.

She deserves everything I said, to be honest. We all speed - a couple of MPH over the limit by accident. But being nearly twice the limit, that's ridiculous and she deserves to have her licence taken off her.

What I'm annoyed about is that you're saying that I have psychological issues... and that I need to "get a life".

Some home truths for you, seeing as you were so quick to judge me:
1) I'm psychologically sound
2) I'm happily married
3) I've returned to uni to improve my career

So I'd suggest that I already, have a life. One I enjoy.

Everyone's entitled to a little Schadenfreude here and there.

Now, if you'd kindly take back what you put, I'll forgive you on the basis that you're relatively new here. :smile:
Reply 18
Mad Vlad
She deserves everything I said, to be honest. We all speed - a couple of MPH over the limit by accident. But being nearly twice the limit, that's ridiculous and she deserves to have her licence taken off her.

What I'm annoyed about is that you're saying that I have psychological issues... and that I need to "get a life".

Some home truths for you, seeing as you were so quick to judge me:
1) I'm psychologically sound
2) I'm happily married
3) I've returned to uni to improve my career

So I'd suggest that I already, have a life. One I enjoy.

Everyone's entitled to a little Schadenfreude here and there.

Now, if you'd kindly take back what you put, I'll forgive you on the basis that you're relatively new here. :smile:

Given you provided a polite and constructive response to the comments I made, I will gladly take back the comment I made.

I was only exagerating and having a laugh anyway. I am extremely bored revising for an exam you see. I just felt like doing something spontaneous.

Am I forgiven Vladdy?
Reply 19
We should do what the italians do and break the speed limit en-mass.

Latest

Trending

Trending