The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for geography?

There seems to be loads of other thread for how to revise for other subjects but not geography which is the one which im finding the hardest. I have also got an AS Business exam in Business Studies. What would be the best way to revise for these subjects?

Geography - WJEC
Business Studies - AQA
Reply 1
Bumo
po
Reply 2
GurlGamer
There seems to be loads of other thread for how to revise for other subjects but not geography which is the one which im finding the hardest. I have also got an AS Business exam in Business Studies. What would be the best way to revise for these subjects?

Geography - WJEC
Business Studies - AQA

There tends to be a lot of information required in questions so summarise your notes, draw diagrams so key words/pictures will make you remember the rest of a point. Find out exactly what topic you struggle with the most and start there, no point putting it off if you don't like it etc.

Past papers and looking at marking schemes to see where the marks actually come from is also helpful.
I use revision cards xD and draw diagrams on if i need to...seriously though this year the amount of revision cards ive made...it looks like ive destroyed a whole rainforest with them =p
Reply 4
Flash cards are good :smile: I'm doing Edexcel so not sure how similar it is, but last year I focused on the case studies + learnt the theory that went with them - it worked really well for me 'cos I always knew a case study to illustrate what I way saying
Currently, I'm doing Edexcel A2 Geography and I find it okay/better. I found it so hard in AS and I have struggled so much from an E (assessments, tests etc.) to a B (exam). What I did is I do the mind map to label the main points from each case study. Also, I did a lot, lot, lot of revision cards and keep repeating it over and over in my mind. Don't just do one revision technique because doing a range of revision techniques will help you massively in many ways - helping many information to process in brain. It's not hard, though as long as you revise it well enough throughout a year OR a few months earlier before the exams. :smile::smile:

REVISION TECHNIQUES:
- mind map
- diagrams, e.g. the greenhouse effect or el nino etc.
- revision cards
- flash cards
- past paper with mark scheme helps you to secure the top marks
- writing repetitively (best to do this weeks before exam to improve your memory skill)
- having breaks at many intervals, e.g. every 20 min, have a break for a few min to process the information.
- don't eat sugary foods, best to eat the fruits or healthy snacks (truly helped me a lot)
- PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE!!
Don't freak out, though and struggles & stresses will turn out to be useful as they help you to cope under pressure.
i am year 7 i am fiding it hard to revise i dont know how to revice
plz give me a reply tomorrow
today:16th june 2015
tomorrow:17th june 2015
thx
Reply 7
for A level I wrote all my notes out in bullet point form, and highlighted key words so i read over them several times through just doing that. I also did loads of past papers. however the most important thing to do is to make sure you learn case studies. the way i did that was to not use any from a textbook- i didn;t touch a textbook throughout A level geography. I got my case studies from geography magazines like 'geographical' and 'national geographic'. 'geographical review' is a good one as it is aimed at A level geography students. i also made my own case studies from reading news stories/ articles. i found that if you make the case studies from things you are interested in then it is less of an effort to remember them. take an interest in all things geography- thats the best way i think
Reply 8
Make a powerpoint on your topics and make colourful mind maps
Original post by GurlGamer

This 52 page document covers the entire course is huge detail. Its about 20,000 words and it only cost me 99p, hope it helps:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231945302988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Revise remember rewrite
I don’t know how to revise either and I am doing the 13 plus does anyone have any tips
Write down everything you know about a case study. Then check your books to see what you missed. If you don't have enough points to be equipped to answer certain questions, or there are some essential points you have missed, learn them. But now you know what you don't need to look over again, which is very valuable.
Does anyone know the main topics to revise for gcse geography? I just want a 4!!!!
it really depends o your exam board to what you will need to revise most but what youll need no matter what is your basics... make sure you can read diagrams and graphs and how to evaluate. for the exam board i was on ( I cant remember what is was now.... aqa maybe) hey used pictures and they will ask you to label a feature or describe what has happened in the photo for a feature to occur so make sure you kow what everything looks like. I remember for my exam there were quite a lot of question on rivers and deserts which can be fairly easy if you know your case studies.that's important for any level wether you are alevel or gcse KNOW YOUR CASE STUDIES at gcse I was very close to an a* but lost out because I hadn't remembered key facts on my case studies ps just because you were taught topics in class doesn't mean you have to do them in your exam! for my gcse I couldn't understand glaciation at all so instead I made the decision to teach my self rivers and answer the questions on this. this is totally allowed just make sure you teach yourself well and if you think you are stuck on a small topic (if your stick on a large one you might as well learn the one from you classes ) you can always ask your teachers I m sure they'll understand why you decided to do what you didhope this helps x
Thank you!!!!
Original post by student300581
it really depends o your exam board to what you will need to revise most but what youll need no matter what is your basics... make sure you can read diagrams and graphs and how to evaluate. for the exam board i was on ( I cant remember what is was now.... aqa maybe) hey used pictures and they will ask you to label a feature or describe what has happened in the photo for a feature to occur so make sure you kow what everything looks like. I remember for my exam there were quite a lot of question on rivers and deserts which can be fairly easy if you know your case studies.that's important for any level wether you are alevel or gcse KNOW YOUR CASE STUDIES at gcse I was very close to an a* but lost out because I hadn't remembered key facts on my case studies ps just because you were taught topics in class doesn't mean you have to do them in your exam! for my gcse I couldn't understand glaciation at all so instead I made the decision to teach my self rivers and answer the questions on this. this is totally allowed just make sure you teach yourself well and if you think you are stuck on a small topic (if your stick on a large one you might as well learn the one from you classes ) you can always ask your teachers I m sure they'll understand why you decided to do what you didhope this helps x

Latest

Trending

Trending