The Student Room Group

Need help choosing subjects!

I have to have my course choice sheet handed in with the subjects I want to study in S5 by the end of October (early i know:frown: ). I have to pick five highers out of: Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, French, Geography, History and Computing. Higher maths and english are definites. I want take at least one science and either geography or history. Not too sure what to take. I'm thinking about a medicine course or a geology course at uni if that helps. Any suggestions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If you're even considering geology then definitely go for geography. Biology and chemistry would be my choices from the rest, but that's completely irrelevant. What are you best at? What do you enjoy most?
Reply 2
If your thinking about medicine, chemistry and biology are MUSTS. Take geography if you are interested in geology.
So yeah, do:
English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography.
:smile:
Reply 3
Haha I forgot he said medicine. I used to have this really good attention span...
Biology isn't absolutely required for medicine. Definitely take Maths, English, Chemistry and Geography (if you're serious about geology - history is actually my preferred choice), and then probably Biology. Bear in mind, though, you could always do Biology in S6 and do Physics or something else this year. Play to your strengths - you want a really strong set of Highers, preferably 5 As, when you apply to uni.

By the way, I take it you're in S4? End of October is ridiculously early! You won't even have had term exams or prelims to help you see what your strengths are. Do loads of people have to change choices? In my school, we have to choose by about March, after prelim results, and even then loads of people change after the SQA results - eg my friend changed from Physics to Biology in August.
(edited 13 years ago)
To give you a chance for either Med or Geology you'll need chemistry and geography, biology is also good for doing medicine.

This is so so early for course choices though! We do ours in March / April.

If you get the chance, do higher physics in S6; it's incredible ;D
Aurora.
If you're even considering geology then definitely go for geography. Biology and chemistry would be my choices from the rest, but that's completely irrelevant. What are you best at? What do you enjoy most?

Yeah- id deffinately do biology and chemistry as they are deffinates for medicine andchemistry is always useful for geology. Geography is also a deffinate for geology. Maths is also useful for both.
But seriously, do whatever you enjoy most and are best at.
Reply 7
Maths, english, biology, chemistry and geography if you think you're going to stick with either medicine or geology. And then in S6, do higher physics :smile:
Reply 8
Your post pretty much answers your question..?!?! How do you cross the road without someone holding your hand?
Reply 9
Pedrobear
Your post pretty much answers your question..?!?! How do you cross the road without someone holding your hand?

Just a suggestion... :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
derangedyoshi
By the way, I take it you're in S4? End of October is ridiculously early! You won't even have had term exams or prelims to help you see what your strengths are. Do loads of people have to change choices? In my school, we have to choose by about March, after prelim results, and even then loads of people change after the SQA results - eg my friend changed from Physics to Biology in August.

I know, it's way too early. Supposedly the school wants to be "organised". This just causes them twice as much work. Almost everyone will have to change their choices after prelims and even more in August next year. It's ridiculous.

Pedrobear

I was only seeing what other people thought. I wasn't too sure exactly what subjects to take and I didn't want to make a complete hash of things (I did that at S3 course choice...).

Thanks for the suggestions. Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Geography sound good to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
andrewmc96
I have to have my course choice sheet handed in with the subjects I want to study in S5 by the end of October (early i know:frown: ). I have to pick five highers out of: Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, French, Geography, History and Computing. Higher maths and english are definites. I want take at least one science and either geography or history. Not too sure what to take. I'm thinking about a medicine course or a geology course at uni if that helps. Any suggestions.

For medicine, out of those I would suggest Maths, English, Chemistry and Biology as definites. Then for the fifth choose which one you enjoy the most, but probably Geography.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending