The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Ask a first year anything....

Hello all!

I was going through what you are this time last year so if you have any questions, especially related to the university of Portsmouth then please reply to this thread or send me a private message.

Anything on halls, the city, the uni, the transport, the teachers or anything!

Look forward to helping.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, please tell us where do we find the best parties @ halls :P
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
i would like to no were the best nightclubs/raves are in portsmouth! Preferable ones that stay open to the early hours :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by little_lucy_92
i would like to no were the best nightclubs/raves are in portsmouth! Preferable ones that stay open to the early hours :smile:

Ummmm... well we have something for everyone.
Guildhall Walk (next to James Watson) has pure, V bar (does amazingly weird shots and shooters), club 8, fuzzy duck, heaven sent (strip club...!), walkabout yates' and spoons. Then there's Liquid and Envy just up the road.

There's also Babylon off of the Guildhall which is a 90's club as well as Fleet.

In Gunwharf there is Highlight and TigerTiger.

Basically everything is open until 2am!
Reply 4
Ooo Ooo Oooo I have a question...

At what point in your 1st year did you realise a degree from Portsmouth won't do **** for you?

30k debt, unemployed/job at boots... ooo + some damaged liver?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SteveMz

At what point in your 1st year did you realise a degree from Portsmouth won't do **** for you?

LOOLLLL this post hits the nail on the head so amazingly well it's unbelievable.
Reply 6
Original post by SteveMz

This.
Reply 7
Original post by SteveMz

Original post by annon1234
LOOLLLL this post hits the nail on the head so amazingly well it's unbelievable.

Original post by WTSFG
This.

Be a ****ing **** all you want but Pompey is the best uni in England for my course, and I have stats to back me up so **** off?
Reply 8
Original post by SteveMz

Where do you go/ what to you do that's so amazing then?

Also, I rarely drink.
Reply 9
Original post by HannahMortlock
Where do you go/ what to you do that's so amazing then?

Also, I rarely drink.

I'm not saying that I am better than you.. People's value is not based off the number of A grades, your natural intelligence etc

What do you study btw?

My point was simply that for some people, especially given the new triple times tuition fee prices. University for many, rather than being a means to an end.. i.e A profession or further research, is simply an excuse to cling onto childhood for another 3/4 years at close to practically no benefit to them or society.

Instead just collecting huge amounts of debt, they spend the rest of their lives attempting to pay off, or if they never even break above the £21,000 salary mark, just dump taxpayers with their debt.

Going to university is 'an investment' anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant... or monetarily priviledged (e.g. Prince William studying art history) Can you not at least see my point?

The reason I include university of portsmouth in my assessment, is because it's 67th in the UK alone.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13373,00.html

I mean for goodness sake the entry requirements are bordering on the non-existent, just an interest in the subject. Doesn't that show you, they're willing to take anybody and everybody. In addition, they have not performed any research of any major significance in the academic world. Hence my judgement the university is a joke and just wasting the time and money of the students who for god's know how go there.

You should select apprenticeships, or training related profession courses. It's a ****ing joke and we all know it.
Original post by SteveMz

Funny, I've secured a perfectly respectable job before I graduate. 2 of my housemates have done the same. Most of my friends who graduated last year are working in graduate positions in the areas they wanted.

Nobody's claiming that if you go to Portsmouth you have the same opportunities as those who graduate from Oxbridge but it's equally naive to presume that a degree is completely worthless and will only lead you to McDonalds.

Of course for SOME people it's a way of avoiding the real world but I know people who went to far better universities for the same reason and they can't find work either.
Original post by SteveMz
I'm not saying that I am better than you.. People's value is not based off the number of A grades, your natural intelligence etc

What do you study btw?

My point was simply that for some people, especially given the new triple times tuition fee prices. University for many, rather than being a means to an end.. i.e A profession or further research, is simply an excuse to cling onto childhood for another 3/4 years at close to practically no benefit to them or society.

Instead just collecting huge amounts of debt, they spend the rest of their lives attempting to pay off, or if they never even break above the £21,000 salary mark, just dump taxpayers with their debt.

Going to university is 'an investment' anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant... or monetarily priviledged (e.g. Prince William studying art history) Can you not at least see my point?

The reason I include university of portsmouth in my assessment, is because it's 67th in the UK alone.

I mean for goodness sake the entry requirements are bordering on the non-existent, just an interest in the subject. Doesn't that show you, they're willing to take anybody and everybody. In addition, they have not performed any research of any major significance in the academic world. Hence my judgement the university is a joke and just wasting the time and money of the students who for god's know how go there.

You should select apprenticeships, or training related profession courses. It's a ****ing joke and we all know it.

Hi, this is on my phone so I'm not sure how well it will come out.

I study Journalism, a profession you are severly disavantaged in without a degree - especially our one. We have media law training which would otherwise have to be paid for by out publication for one. Our course is also NCTJ accredited, only about 5 unis in England are - an employer will always choose someone with these qualifications. 100 wpm is the shorthand industry standard and last year 2 people in the UK gained speeds of 120 wmp - one from Pompey, 11 people gained 110 - 9 from Portsmouth. My course is incredibly good, I don't look at league tables - I look at evidence.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi, this is on my phone so I'm not sure how well it will come out.

I study Journalism, a profession you are severly disavantaged in without a degree - especially our one. We have media law training which would otherwise have to be paid for by out publication for one. Our course is also NCTJ accredited, only about 5 unis in England are - an employer will always choose someone with these qualifications. 100 wpm is the shorthand industry standard and last year 2 people in the UK gained speeds of 120 wmp - one from Pompey, 11 people gained 110 - 9 from Portsmouth. My course is incredibly good, I don't look at league tables - I look at evidence.

You go to uni 2learn how to write shorthand faster? FML... THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT!
Bloody hell leave them alone. What started out to be a very helpful thread for future Portsmouth freshers has turned into an egotistical rant about university rankings. If you feel superior, well done, but keep it to yourself.
I'm thinking of maybe coming here to study pharmacy..what is it like? Have u got friends doing this course?

WTH why the neg rep?!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SteveMz

Is that this year's league table out of interest? I only ask because at the bottom it's mentioning data from 98/99/00. I don't subscribe to the Times Online so can't verify that being the current table for myself. :tongue: All I can access is the University's profile from almost 2 years ago at which point we're 56th. Still unimpressive but a fair bit better (and why I largely ignore tables).

Entry requirements - My course requires ABB and for 2012 entry that will be rising to AAB. Not top grades but hardly "bordering on the non-existent".

This link claims that 40% of the work submitted to the RAE 2008 was considered "world-leading or internationally excellent". This link says "Portsmouth has the UK’s first dedicated brain tumour research centre, and the centre for molecular design software helps develop drugs for pharmaceutical companies". (Both are The Times/Sunday Times seeing as that's apparently your league table of choice!) We're not claiming to be frontrunners but to automatically dismiss everything produced is no better.

My time and money hasn't been wasted. I studied a traditional course (which incidentally makes things a lot harder for me than most considering I have competition from far better universities) and I still managed to secure a training contract for 2012 with a respected law firm. Pop over to the legal careers section, you'll find a number of "better" students who couldn't.

Should everyone be running off to an ex-poly to do a degree in Media Studies purely for the sake of going to university? No, of course not and more fool them if they do. That doesn't mean that the university is "a joke", there are contributions to be made by newer universities and it is the right environment for a number of students.
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by SteveMz
You go to uni 2learn how to write shorthand faster? FML... THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT!

I'm sorry but do you even know what shorthand is? Google image Teeline, it's very hard and a skill that a journalist needs. How else are we supposed to gather all the correct information in court?

@ drpetergriffin - thank you, sorry I'm finding it hard to quote on my BB. I believe everyone should be allowed to do what they want in life and that guy obviously doesn't see the value in my profession but I bet he'd be shockingly bad at it.

@ hey, hey, hey - actually I myself don't, however I will have an ask around my friends tomorrow and get back to you :smile:
Love how we've been negged. Someone not able to handle that they're wrong about their silly misconceptions of lower ranked unis? :rolleyes:
Original post by hey-hey-hey

Original post by hey-hey-hey
I'm thinking of maybe coming here to study pharmacy..what is it like? Have u got friends doing this course?

why the neg rep? i was simply asking a question!

@ hey, hey, hey - actually I myself don't, however I will have an ask around my friends tomorrow and get back to you :smile:

thank you!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest