The Student Room Group

Wrote Maths Exam in Pencil - Will this be a problem?

I wrote in pencil for both of my Edexcel GCSE Linear Maths exams.

Will this be a problem as scanners may not pick it up? Has anyone wrote in pencil and it wasn't a problem for you?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was it HB? I think they can read HB ...
Reply 2
Original post by KiwiBerry

Was it HB? I think they can read HB ...

Yes it was HB, although they scan the papers.
Reply 3
I doubt they'd give you nothing because you wrote in pencil

If the computers won't read it I should expect them to mark it in person, if you get me.
Reply 4
Original post by youngeN
Yes it was HB, although they scan the papers.

Yeah, I think the scanners pick up on it, I'm sure on the front of the paper it mentioned an HB pencil as a required material, so I'm sure it'll pick up :wink:
Reply 5

Yeah, I think the scanners pick up on it, I'm sure on the front of the paper it mentioned an HB pencil as a required material, so I'm sure it'll pick up :wink:

Hopefully, I've called Edexcel and they've told me not to worry as they will be marked by hand although some of my answers were in pen on the first paper therefore they may assume that I only wrote answers and not any working out as the working out was all in pencil
Reply 6
:facepalm:

do they not tell you like 2040359639 times to right in BLACK PEN?
Reply 7
Original post by youngeN
I wrote in pencil for both of my Edexcel GCSE Linear Maths exams.

Will this be a problem as scanners may not pick it up? Has anyone wrote in pencil and it wasn't a problem for you?

I suggest you do all your exams in green ink and then tell us what happens.

IF I were marking your paper I think I would err on the side of meanness, i.e if in doubt don't award the marks.
Reply 8
Original post by steve2005

Original post by steve2005
I suggest you do all your exams in green ink and then tell us what happens.

IF I were marking your paper I think I would err on the side of meanness, i.e if in doubt don't award the marks.

I recommend for you to become an examiner.

On the other hand - It did not state on the front of the paper to write in black ink or pen nor did the invigilators mention anything about it.
Don't worry about it, if they didn't state anything at the front, then it's their fault, they should pick it up though...good luck!
Hey look on the bright side. Was watching BBC news reporting on unanswerable exam questions reporting *LIVE from a real life secondary school* and every muppety student on camera was writing with a blue pen. :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
Hey look on the bright side. Was watching BBC news reporting on unanswerable exam questions reporting *LIVE from a real life secondary school* and every muppety student on camera was writing with a blue pen. :facepalm2:

Lmao, for real? Unbelievable
Original post by ,,,,
Lmao, for real? Unbelievable

Yup. You know they do those kind of, 'action shots' where they focus in on things, the use the focussd in still as a background for a powerpointy thing of facts and figures. Zoooooooom, close up of pupils doing exams in blue ball-point pen.

I mean, its not like the world's gonna end but you would have thought somebody would have noticed... :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
Yup. You know they do those kind of, 'action shots' where they focus in on things, the use the focussd in still as a background for a powerpointy thing of facts and figures. Zoooooooom, close up of pupils doing exams in blue ball-point pen.

I mean, its not like the world's gonna end but you would have thought somebody would have noticed... :rolleyes:

Haha yeh i know what you mean..
Reply 14
in my math exam, i write the whole think in pencil as i tend to make mistakes, so i did that to be on the safe side, then i though ''what if they dont accept it'' so i spent 20 minutes going over the whole thing in black pen! :rolleyes:
Reply 15
They must have examiners who deal with the ignorant Neanderthals like you.
Reply 16
I think you have to have pencil for Maths exams for the graphs and drawing - therefore the scanners should pick it up and you should be fine.

However, consider it a lesson learned and don't forget about your pen in future... If you have to, leave the pencil questions until the end, so you can't just forget to switch back after doing one...
My teacher entered me for a resit I ddn't want to do, I wrote the whole paper in pencil and got an A (lower than my previous one btw), don't worry about it =] they'll pros just get the original paper to mark if the copy is too hard to read x
Reply 18
Original post by nikki_aiyana

Original post by nikki_aiyana
My teacher entered me for a resit I ddn't want to do, I wrote the whole paper in pencil and got an A (lower than my previous one btw), don't worry about it =] they'll pros just get the original paper to mark if the copy is too hard to read x

Thanks! Was the board Edexcel by any chance?
Reply 19
They can scan HB pencil. If it's a HB it's fine. I did all my exam in pencil because I hate pen for maths...I always change my mind and make mistakes. Loads of other people do it in pencil. You are NOT an idiot and if you get marked down or whatever so many other people are in the same boat. :L

Quick Reply

Latest