The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Job Prospects in IR at St Andrews

International Relations sounds like a very interesting major, and I understand St Andrews is tops when it comes to IR, but what actually happens to IR graduates who don't plan on going on immediately to graduate school when they graduate???
Reply 1
They're lined up in the quad and shot.

Seriously, there are many routes an IR grad can take. The degree is very sought after. Quite possibly graduate schemes / internships.

When are you going to stop spoon feeding your son, he's the one that should be working out what he wants to do in the future. It sounds like you're doing all the donkey work for him; he's got half a brain if hes good enough for UCLA.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Oxy

Seriously, there are many routes an IR grad can take. The degree is very sought after. Quite possibly graduate schemes / internships.

When are you going to stop spoon feeding your son, he's the one that should be working out what he wants to do in the future. It sounds like you're doing all the donkey work for him; he's got half a brain if hes good enough for UCLA.

:lolwut:
Original post by Oxy

Oxy, you give me hope that there are straight talking, awesome people at St Andrews.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxy

Oxy: In reference to your post, I am not asking these questions for HIM. If I am going to spend $160,000 over four years, I want to be sure the investment makes sense, and is worth it. And in any case, he is doing his own research on St Andrews----just not on The Student Room.
Original post by floridadad55
Oxy: In reference to your post, I am not asking these questions for HIM. If I am going to spend $160,000 over four years, I want to be sure the investment makes sense, and is worth it. And in any case, he is doing his own research on St Andrews----just not on The Student Room.

He can do a host of things. Is he planning to settle in the UK? if so he can take a law conversion and become a city lawyer, go into consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy...
Reply 6
Original post by Tsunami2011
He can do a host of things. Is he planning to settle in the UK? if so he can take a law conversion and become a city lawyer, go into consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy...

Tsunami:

Thanks. I know that with a degree from St Andrews in international relations, my son could possibly get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy. I guess my real question is whether it is LIKELY that with a St Andrews degree in international relations, he would indeed get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy.

For example, in the U.S, if you graduate from the Wharton Business School part of the University of Pennsylvania, it would indeed be likely that just about every graduate would get a good corporate job upon graduation.

Does St Andrews have that kind of "Wharton" "power" in the consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy employment marketplace?
Original post by floridadad55
Tsunami:

Thanks. I know that with a degree from St Andrews in international relations, my son could possibly get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy. I guess my real question is whether it is LIKELY that with a St Andrews degree in international relations, he would indeed get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy.

For example, in the U.S, if you graduate from the Wharton Business School part of the University of Pennsylvania, it would indeed be likely that just about every graduate would get a good corporate job upon graduation.

Does St Andrews have that kind of "Wharton" "power" in the consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy employment marketplace?

On the whole St Andrews is regarded as very prestigious. For general consultancy i.e the big 4 accountacy firms (Deloitte, KPMG,etc) then no problem. MBB are slightly more harder to break into and heavily recruit from Oxbridge.

Investment banking, is a similar story, approximately 80% of the yearly intake of analysts at the bulge bracket banks come from Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick. But, its still more then possible from St Andrews, probably just a different intensity and culture there.

For Law, there would be no problems but he would have to do a conversion. I'm not too clued up on diplomacy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending