The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
Original post by CpnCornetto
Sit back, Chill, wait for your letters, fill them in send them off.
Apply for finance
Apply for Halls, make the choice as to whether you're gonna go for the Uni halls or the Unite halls.
The Unite one's currently have a deal on "Kelvin Court" for 99 pound per week which is the same price as murano but they're closer and you get en suite.
Just look around see what you fancy.

I've filled out most of the forms. I just need to get my GP to fill out the last bit of the occupational health one.
I don't know where to begin with finance. I'll leave that for a while.
I just had a look at the Unite halls. I'm very tempted to go to Kelvin Court. I don't know whether I would prefer Murano though. I've decided it's between those two.

I'm far too excited now.
Thank you for those information. But it's the uni that has classed me as Rest of the UK and not SAAS, because I havent applied for SAAS yet. So, do you think I should email uni about this? I'm really worried about writing to uni incase they think something I've come up with something and withdraw their offer. I don't think I am trying to cheat or anything. I am from England true, but I have been living in scotland and plan to live here so i thought it'd be within my rights to be classed as scottish domicile student...i don't know if writing to uni about this would be a wrong idea? I should be excited about getting a place for medicine but i'm just really worried and extremely sad :frown:

Original post by Caponester
Get in touch with SAAS as soon as possible to explain your circumstances. The exact wording of who constitutes a Scottish resident is actually quite ambiguous, but suffice to say, those who move to Scotland and make it their permanent residence immediately prior to an application to UCAS might be classed as opportunistic.

I am sympathetic to your plight, really, I am. Give SAAS a polite email asking for further information.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date, unless you are an English, Northern Irish or Welsh domiciled student taking a degree course in one of the Allied Health Professions. In this case, you must be ordinarily resident in your home country at the time you apply for your first years support.

Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as 'habitual and normal residence in one place'. It basically means that you, your parents or your husband, wife or civil partner live in a country year after year by choice throughout a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

Original post by sweetchilli
think this explains that you need to be living in Scotland for 3 years prior to study (from saas)

To meet our residence conditions you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date, unless you are an English, a Northern Irish or a Welsh domiciled student taking a degree course in one of the Allied Health Professions. In this case, you must be ordinarily resident in your home country at the time you apply for your first year's support. If you are studying a nursing degree, see the nursing section for details.

Original post by AishaTara
From what I'm aware, you have to have been living in Scotland for three years or have to have studied in scotland for three years.

Original post by MarshmallowTea
Yes, I agree with this - it would be the same rule if you were applying for uni in England, so I think it would make sense that Scotland may have a similar rule...I do hope you are able to sort it out though, perhaps if you explain your situation Glasgow might be able to help you out...never know! When my step brother did his first degree, it was a mere £1000.....ah, the good ol' days!!
Reply 2522
Original post by xxsweetiepiexx
Thank you for those information. But it's the uni that has classed me as Rest of the UK and not SAAS, because I havent applied for SAAS yet. So, do you think I should email uni about this? I'm really worried about writing to uni incase they think something I've come up with something and withdraw their offer. I don't think I am trying to cheat or anything. I am from England true, but I have been living in scotland and plan to live here so i thought it'd be within my rights to be classed as scottish domicile student...i don't know if writing to uni about this would be a wrong idea? I should be excited about getting a place for medicine but i'm just really worried and extremely sad :frown:

Sounds like you need to clarify this with the uni because that's the only way you're going to clear it up if they've made a mistake. Explain to them that you're excited about medicine and happy to have received a place but you're unsure about why you have been classified as 'rest of UK' and could they please explain this to you.
Original post by Braddd
I've filled out most of the forms. I just need to get my GP to fill out the last bit of the occupational health one.
I don't know where to begin with finance. I'll leave that for a while.
I just had a look at the Unite halls. I'm very tempted to go to Kelvin Court. I don't know whether I would prefer Murano though. I've decided it's between those two.

I'm far too excited now.

I'd hurry for the unite one's if you're going with them
the 99 pound a week flats shouldn't hang about too long.
Has anyone had feedback yet?? :smile:
Original post by Ju_Dragonslayer
Yeah I went for one of the cheapest too-Murano because I'm an undergrad but the accomodation is still much cheaper than some of the English uni's I applied to. What are the postgrad halls like?

Yeah Murano sounds to be really good and quite popular for first years! I went to Imperial for my undergrad, and prices have definitely gone up since I went there for my freshers' (about 4 years ago!). I really wanted one of the newest halls, which were either Southside or Eastside. They were literally 30seconds from uni, next to the new gym and hyde park, Nat His and Sci museums and albert hall! They had just been built that year, and had wall mounted TVs and amazing modern bedrooms - but the price for that is now up to >£230 per week!!! WAAAAY too expensive. Even for London. Although, it is in South Kensington....but anyway, I got put in my third choice which I ended up LOVING. The hall wasn't modern and probably needed refurbishing :P It wasn't too bad though, but what really made it something special were the people there. We were lucky and everyone in the hall was really friendly and we all pretty much got to know everyone, all 300 of us. It was quite a nice community, and there'd always be someone to chat with in the lodge near reception. It was about 20-30min walk through Hyde park to uni, so you got to know people who were doing the same course as you to walk into uni with too! Its always nice to have a nice room of course, but I guess I found that the most important aspect of it were the people you're put with. Unfortunately, that's something you can't really choose hahaha :P I think Murano will be great though, maybe i might see you there!!

Original post by gh70
I applied for qm as 1st choice and then a selection of student appt and cairncross as my back ups!
DON'T CHOOSE WOLFSON! It's hell on earth lol!

Ooo Lol, well turns out I didn't need to call afterall - they just emailed me on Tues to tell me to reselect my choices. I put QM first too, and then Cairncross singles, then Murano and student appartments last...I hope I get my top 3 (QM in particular!) :-) Although, I'm sure it'll be fun wherever. Lol, I thought about wolfson, then realised it was 45mins away......:frown: I only walked to uni in my first year undergrad, so had to quickly check my old halls and how far it was.....I think that was my limit! 45mins is too far.....too far. Did you go to Glasgow for your undergrad as well? I wonder when we will find out? :smile: Can't wait now!!
Is it strange that I still havent heard back from them after my interview? seems far too late :frown:
Reply 2527
Original post by j.bond420
Is it strange that I still havent heard back from them after my interview? seems far too late :frown:

Ring them up, you definitely should have heard. Infact I'm sure they get into trouble for keeping people waiting past March. Has track definitely not updated?
Original post by KCosmo
Ring them up, you definitely should have heard. Infact I'm sure they get into trouble for keeping people waiting past March. Has track definitely not updated?

I emailed them and they said that they will reply by 14th April! Its 1 day beyond that. No, track hasn't updated. SO strange! I think I will email them again in 2 more days if they still don't reply!
Reply 2529
Original post by j.bond420
I emailed them and they said that they will reply by 14th April! Its 1 day beyond that. No, track hasn't updated. SO strange! I think I will email them again in 2 more days if they still don't reply!

Very strange indeed! Good luck for when you do find out though :smile: It's not right to keep you waiting this long, they really need to pull the finger out!
Thanks a lot :smile: Atleast I am not so stressed because my firm is going to be Manchester but UCAS wont let me firm it until Glasgow replies so..lets hope for the best :smile:
I don't really know where to ask this, so I thought this years applicants was my best bet! Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My GCSE's aren't the best A*AAAAAABB, the two Bs are in English Literature and Maths. I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, History and ICT for A-level. Is it worth applying here? I seem to meet the requirements but I'm not sure. Lets assume I get a good UKCAT and my personal statement is good, would I have a decent chance at getting an interview? I know that for GCSE's it says "Preference given to students offering grade A in English, Science and Maths."
Would having a B in Math put me at a great disadvantage? I'm just wondering if there is any point in me even applying.

Also, congratulations on your offers!
Original post by llessur123
I don't really know where to ask this, so I thought this years applicants was my best bet! Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My GCSE's aren't the best A*AAAAAABB, the two Bs are in English Literature and Maths. I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, History and ICT for A-level. Is it worth applying here? I seem to meet the requirements but I'm not sure. Lets assume I get a good UKCAT and my personal statement is good, would I have a decent chance at getting an interview? I know that for GCSE's it says "Preference given to students offering grade A in English, Science and Maths."
Would having a B in Math put me at a great disadvantage? I'm just wondering if there is any point in me even applying.

Also, congratulations on your offers!

To the best of my knowledge: :tongue:

Not too sure about grades etc because I'm from Scotland, but to get an interview at Glasgow you only need the absolute minimum entry requirements.
After that, you're ranked on ukcat score and the top 800 or so get an interview.
Then it's pretty much just on how your interview went and you're reference/personal statement :smile:

So basically, if you meet even the absolute minimum grades they specify (what they are I can't help you with I'm afraid-maybe have a fish around the website?), you don't really need to worry about them much after that. I would say apply if you get a UKCAT of around 650 or above if you do meet the grade requirement (which hopefully someone else will help you out with :tongue:)

On the maths front, I don't know whether that might be used to separate you and another candidate with the same interview score?

Good luck! :smile:

(If I'm talking rubbish, please someone correct me! :tongue: )
Can any year 3-5 students or graduates from Glasgow share their experience on going about the teaching hospitals? I read from their website that they have 20+ teaching hospitals and some happen to be very far away (more than an hour's travelling time). Does the school provide any transportation? Or will we have to move out of the city centre? Thanks a bunch!

Edit: I'm also curious about the average number of hours of lectures and contact time we will get per week.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm an undergraduate with a conditional offer and I've just applied for halls.. when will I hear back about them? Not until after my exam results? :-)
Reply 2535
Original post by Happymelon
Can any year 3-5 students or graduates from Glasgow share their experience on going about the teaching hospitals? I read from their website that they have 20+ teaching hospitals and some happen to be very far away (more than an hour's travelling time). Does the school provide any transportation? Or will we have to move out of the city centre? Thanks a bunch!

Edit: I'm also curious about the average number of hours of lectures and contact time we will get per week.

I'd like to know this aswell please! I'm going to St Andrews, but will be coming to to Glasgow for the clinical years. I really hope they provide transport :tongue:
Original post by Anterior view
Gutted for you.:frown: I can only imagine how you are feeling right now but what I would do is get feedback from every university I applied to, and take on board their comments.Call them and get advice on whether another application would at least be considered. Maybe call them after august AHs are confirmed (you never know maybe some people will miss their conditions) not that I'd wish that on anyone either:colondollar: but you never know you could get lucky.

Hah, do you think that's worth a punt...I wouldn't know what to say on the phone...
Original post by KCosmo
I'd like to know this aswell please! I'm going to St Andrews, but will be coming to to Glasgow for the clinical years. I really hope they provide transport :tongue:

Getting allocated for clinical years is competitive based on performance in non-clinical years and thus there is no guarantee that you will get Glasgow.
Original post by Happymelon

I have so far been to Ayr Hospital and Crosshouse Hospital for day visits. There was no transport provided.

For clinicals, if you get allocated to say Dumfries & Galloway, you would need to stay there as is far to far away for travelling. Think some places have accommodation on-site.

Average number of hours is 11-13 per week.
Original post by sweetchilli
I have so far been to Ayr Hospital and Crosshouse Hospital for day visits. There was no transport provided.

For clinicals, if you get allocated to say Dumfries & Galloway, you would need to stay there as is far to far away for travelling. Think some places have accommodation on-site.

Average number of hours is 11-13 per week.

Thank you! :biggrin: 11-13 hours of lectures? Or is that the contact time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending