The Student Room Group

Just wondering, Would these grades get me to Uni?

Hello,
I'm sitting Standard Grades now,
English - F/G - Aim: 3
Maths - F (Not particularly good at maths) - Aim: 5 :frown:
Admin - G/C - Aim: 1
Modern Studies - G/C - Aim: 1
Biology - Int 1 - Aim: Pass

I've picked my subjects for next year,
Int 2 English
Int 1 Maths
Higher/Int 2 (Depending on my grade) Modern Studies
Int 2 Business
And i have a choice whether to do Higher Admin or Int 2 Biology...

My parents desperately want me to go Uni and myself want to go
I'm planning on doing Business at Uni

I made a forum last week which was similar but forgot to mention this...
Please help guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you take the Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin this year...

And then in 6th year follow on your Int2's to a higher then you will definately have a chance

Look around the Uni websites at Business courses...

Alot usually look for round about 3 B's on first sitting, which then moves up to like 4b's and C

Or something along those lines..

If not you could try a HND/HNC at college for a year afterwards and apply to uni after that.

Just an idea of the options available to you :smile:
Dean
Reply 2
Original post by Dean_Reid
If you take the Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin this year...

And then in 6th year follow on your Int2's to a higher then you will definately have a chance

Look around the Uni websites at Business courses...

Alot usually look for round about 3 B's on first sitting, which then moves up to like 4b's and C

Or something along those lines..

If not you could try a HND/HNC at college for a year afterwards and apply to uni after that.

Just an idea of the options available to you :smile:
Dean

For example Glasgow University requires 4 highers in first sitting, However I'm not able to sit 4 highers next year so what will happen if i sit 2 highers next year then 2 highers 6th year? I could possible to advanced higher admin/modern if i achieve the grade
Original post by ManUnitedFan1
For example Glasgow University requires 4 highers in first sitting, However I'm not able to sit 4 highers next year so what will happen if i sit 2 highers next year then 2 highers 6th year? I could possible to advanced higher admin/modern if i achieve the grade

I would email them your situation, but with highers taken in separate sittings I would imagine they might increase their requirements slightly. eg for someone sitting 4 highers in one year they may ask for BBBB but for highers taken over two years they might ask for ABBB.
Reply 4
Original post by atomos
I would email them your situation, but with highers taken in separate sittings I would imagine they might increase their requirements slightly. eg for someone sitting 4 highers in one year they may ask for BBBB but for highers taken over two years they might ask for ABBB.

So what would ABBB mean? Sorry i didn't quite understand :/
So what would ABBB mean? Sorry i didn't quite understand :/

Like say if you sit two highers in fifth year and get BB for them, the uni might set you a conditional offer of AB in the highers you do in 6th year; as opposed to an unconditional offer someone with BBBB from fifth year might get.

This is just what I reckon, it's not set in stone. It's best to contact the unis and see what they say.
Reply 6
Original post by atomos
Like say if you sit two highers in fifth year and get BB for them, the uni might set you a conditional offer of AB in the highers you do in 6th year; as opposed to an unconditional offer someone with BBBB from fifth year might get.

This is just what I reckon, it's not set in stone. It's best to contact the unis and see what they say.

Ok, Thanks a lot :smile:
I believe it all depends on the course and uni you apply to. Check entry requirements and attend open days/
But consider if you aren't doing too well in your studies at the moment whether it'll be worth going to university, as the workload will increase. Paying a lot of money for a low degree isn't necessarily a wise option. Just my two cents.
Original post by thecrimsonidol
I believe it all depends on the course and uni you apply to. Check entry requirements and attend open days/
But consider if you aren't doing too well in your studies at the moment whether it'll be worth going to university, as the workload will increase. Paying a lot of money for a low degree isn't necessarily a wise option. Just my two cents.

Scotland doesn't really have tuition fees.
Reply 9

Well I'm aware of the workload as all my cousins go to University, So i want to follow them.. I'm not sure what course to do, I have business in my mind.. What do you think of Business?
Original post by JaggySnake95

Ah, I overlooked the bit about Glasgow, my bad.
Though I think my point stands, it's a lot of time to invest.
Ah, I overlooked the bit about Glasgow, my bad.
Though I think my point stands, it's a lot of time to invest.

True, although I still see University as a place to go and develop social skills, become independent, learn to budget, gain life experience but still have enough 'help' from flatmates and parents. But, yeah, if you go to Uni and can't cope with the workload it'll detract from your overall experience and you'll fail your degree so you need to be committed to enjoy the full experience.
True, although I still see University as a place to go and develop social skills, become independent, learn to budget, gain life experience but still have enough 'help' from flatmates and parents. But, yeah, if you go to Uni and can't cope with the workload it'll detract from your overall experience and you'll fail your degree so you need to be committed to enjoy the full experience.

That goes alongside it all, but I believe the main thing to university is to get a degree ultimately. Social skills are constantly developed, and sure uni does indeed offer a lot of opportunities to help develop them, the degree should come first in my opinion.

I just feel with the grades listed by the OP, they seem in all honesty kind of low (of course, i'm speaking from an English education system, so how it works in Scotland I can't speak for as accurately as i'd like, but you get the idea), and business is quite a full-on course from what I understand. Best bet is to do the subjects outlined for next year for a bit and see how you adapt to them and the sort of initial grades you are getting before applying to university.
Hello,
I'm sitting Standard Grades now,
English - F/G - Aim: 3
Maths - F (Not particularly good at maths) - Aim: 5 :frown:
Admin - G/C - Aim: 1
Modern Studies - G/C - Aim: 1
Biology - Int 1 - Aim: Pass

I've picked my subjects for next year,
Int 2 English
Int 1 Maths
Higher/Int 2 (Depending on my grade) Modern Studies
Int 2 Business
And i have a choice whether to do Higher Admin or Int 2 Biology...

My parents desperately want me to go Uni and myself want to go
I'm planning on doing Business at Uni

I made a forum last week which was similar but forgot to mention this...
Please help guys :smile:

Hey :smile: first of all just try your best!

The general rule for getting into an average degree is 3 highers from fifth year.

Most degrees are either Maths/Science or English based. So, depending on what you want to do, you're going to need one of them.

English is very important (unfortunate for many people who it just doesn't click with) for university.

Int 2s won't get you into uni and neither will int 1s. Usually these are just basic requirements, eg. Many degrees want standard grade Maths at 2 or a pass at int2.

Most want higher English.

Just remember, highers are the key to university.

However, most degrees are useless to be honest. Whilst you may get accepted to an average university on a vague course which leads you to nowhere, other degrees are useful. However, these normal involve Maths and the sciences. You can be a teacher with any degree. Remember university is a big undertaking so if you're struggling now have a think about what job you want to do when you're older! Don't let you parents pressure you!
Original post by anthonyfl
Hey :smile: first of all just try your best!

The general rule for getting into an average degree is 3 highers from fifth year.

Most degrees are either Maths/Science or English based. So, depending on what you want to do, you're going to need one of them.

English is very important (unfortunate for many people who it just doesn't click with) for university.

Int 2s won't get you into uni and neither will int 1s. Usually these are just basic requirements, eg. Many degrees want standard grade Maths at 2 or a pass at int2.

Just remember, highers are the key to university.

However, most degrees are useless to be honest. Whilst you may get accepted to an average university on a vague course which leads you to nowhere, other degrees are useful. However, these normal involve Maths and the sciences. You can be a teacher with any degree. Remember university is a big undertaking so if you're struggling now have a think about what job you want to do when you're older! Don't let you parents pressure you!

What would you say to be the most useful degrees?
Reply 15

Don't think this is true... :smile: Only for certain degrees but you need it if you want to go into teaching.
What would you say to be the most useful degrees?

Well I'm not that informed. But going on jobs prospects obviously medicine, dentistry, law, accountancy and veterinary medicine are the most difficult but most financially rewarding.

Apart from that, I hear degrees in engineering are useful (though they have a lot of Maths and physics in them). Primary teaching is also quite a good one if that's what someone's into. After all, there will always be a need for teachers.

But it's up to you. Stay away from forensic science, criminology and things like that.
Original post by (:emily.
Don't think this is true... :smile: Only for certain degrees but you need it if you want to go into teaching.

It's not entirely true :smile: but in terms of the best degrees, you'd definitely want English :smile: and if the subject involves essay writing you'd want it. Especially for arts courses
Well I'm not that informed. But going on jobs prospects obviously medicine, dentistry, law, accountancy and veterinary medicine are the most difficult but most financially rewarding.

Apart from that, I hear degrees in engineering are useful (though they have a lot of Maths and physics in them). Primary teaching is also quite a good one if that's what someone's into. After all, there will always be a need for teachers.

But it's up to you. Stay away from forensic science, criminology and things like that.

How about economics? It's one of the ones I'm thinking about and from what I understand: sometimes people don't actually use their degree in later life, so even if I didn't use economics directly for a job, it's a great thing to know about. ie. my dad has a friend who is an ecnomics lecturer and is a millionaire because of his knowledge...
you'll fail your degree

It's easy to get a bad degree, but it's surprisingly difficult to outright fail.

After all, there will always be a need for teachers.

"Concerns have been voiced that only one in five new teachers in Scotland found permanent, full-time jobs after qualifying in 2009-10."

sometimes people don't actually use their degree in later life

There are certainly plenty graduate jobs without specific subject requirements. Some of these require further career-specific training, which might be reduced by taking a specific subject (e.g. accountacy with an accredited degree). Some others just require 'a (good) degree'. If you're really unsure, it's worth taking a look at job sites to see what career paths are available.

Well, it does - but the government will pay the fees for you via SAAS. (I realize you may well know this, but I think it's important to point out since the OP may not. If you don't apply for the funding, you'll get an invoice for however-many thousands of pounds.)

You can be a teacher with any degree.

Primary teacher, sure. For secondary teaching, your degree must be related (there's a specific number of credits required) to the subject you are applying to teach.

but in terms of the best degrees, you'd definitely want English

I'm not going to get drawn into this ranking of 'best' degrees, but it is entirely possible to get an offer for science subjects from top-tier universities without English.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest