The Student Room Group

hull york medical school vs lancaster medical school

I am currently doing my a-levels and have been offered conditional places at both hyms and lancaster medical school. However after revisiting both unis and weighing up the pros and cons i really cant decide where to go and was wondering if anyone had any advice...:s
Original post by rachris16
I am currently doing my a-levels and have been offered conditional places at both hyms and lancaster medical school. However after revisiting both unis and weighing up the pros and cons i really cant decide where to go and was wondering if anyone had any advice...:s

Lancaster Medical School :biggrin:

Source: My cousin sister is doing her medicine there!
I'm thinking Lancaster. Nicer place, nicer uni. :smile:
Hi, do you have any idea if the applicants AS results would be looked when giving offers, or only the predicted grades? :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by mollie.harris
Hi, do you have any idea if the applicants AS results would be looked when giving offers, or only the predicted grades? :frown:

Depends on the university. In General AS grades aren't really used but when they are it's for selection before interview. Predicted grades are basically a standard requirement. If you don't get them, your application won't even be looked at. When offers are made it's normally down to interview performance (e.g in the case of Lancaster). However like I said, It depends on the medical school.
Original post by myyrh
Depends on the university. In General AS grades aren't really used but when they are it's for selection before interview. Predicted grades are basically a standard requirement. If you don't get them, your application won't even be looked at. When offers are made it's normally down to interview performance (e.g in the case of Lancaster). However like I said, It depends on the medical school.

I so wanna get in Lancaster, I've got a prediction of AAAA but I'm disappointed with my AS result (Jan module only, Summer exams in few days) of BCC. So, that means I still have chances for lancaster?
Massive apology for asking really stupid questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mollie.harris
I so wanna get in Lancaster, I've got a prediction of AAAA but I'm disappointed with my AS result (Jan module only, Summer exams in few days) of BCC. So, that means I still have chances for lancaster?
Massive apology for asking really stupid questions :smile:

In short, yes you do stand a chance. Why would you want to carry on with four A levels? Lancaster do require a fourth AS level which must be at a grade B minimum. AS grades actually matter pretty little apart from that fourth AS. What matters to Lancaster is GCSE grades (should be mostly A/A* to score highly in their point score system) and more importantly the personal statement which forms the biggest decision on whether to invite you to interview or not.

Quick Reply