The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes
On a side note, has anyone seen this

That had very little substance. Also it's self-contradictory and illogical to say that "risky mortgages push up house prices beyond the reach of ordinary people" when the risky mortgages are what allowed many 'ordinary people' to purchase houses they could never really afford.
Reply 961
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjNlyiDAno Is that all i need to learn for fiscal policy?
PS Unit 2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by andyrichards
I was unaware that it was only being introduced in 2019. But I imagine it is a very complex process, which, if rushed, could could large fluctuations in credit available which would cause all kinds of problems. Well hopefully by 2019 economic growth throughout Europe will have picked up, but your point is true, it should be implemented at a time when an immediate increase in commercial and corporate borrowing rates can be weathered by the economy. However, you could argue that once the retail sectors of banks are ring-fenced, their corporate arms are no longer protected by the government, so cities such as London, may become less profitable of a location for financial services firms than before, causing them to move overseas. This could cause more economic damage than the cost of bailing out all of our banks combined.

I'm glad you agree. It's already causing problems in America with the Dodd-Frank Act which is costing firms up to $100,000 just to fill out the form or something iirc.

On another note, I really hope the Amazon tax goes through, it actually makes me angry. Tax loopholes :fuhrer:

Original post by alex_hk90
That had very little substance. Also it's self-contradictory and illogical to say that "risky mortgages push up house prices beyond the reach of ordinary people" when the risky mortgages are what allowed many 'ordinary people' to purchase houses they could never really afford.

It is rather over-dramatised but you cant deny that at least before 2008 banks created money in the respect that more money was lent out than deposits existed. Correct me if I'm wrong :/

Has China unblocked youtube? :eek: hallelujah.

Original post by xxm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjNlyiDAno Is that all i need to learn for fiscal policy?
PS Unit 2.

In general or for a specific question? If it's for an essay I'd say the thing it lacks in are the problems/limitations of F.P. like time lag, opportunity cost etc. but as far as explaining fiscal policy and how it works it's pretty much dead on.
Reply 963
I'm glad you agree. It's already causing problems in America with the Dodd-Frank Act which is costing firms up to $100,000 just to fill out the form or something iirc.

On another note, I really hope the Amazon tax goes through, it actually makes me angry. Tax loopholes :fuhrer:

It is rather over-dramatised but you cant deny that at least before 2008 banks created money in the respect that more money was lent out than deposits existed. Correct me if I'm wrong :/

In general or for a specific question? If it's for an essay I'd say the thing it lacks in are the problems/limitations of F.P. like time lag, opportunity cost etc. but as far as explaining fiscal policy and how it works it's pretty much dead on.

I'm not sure would it be enough for unit 2 module? I wasn't aware it would be in the essay section.
Original post by xxm
I'm not sure would it be enough for unit 2 module? I wasn't aware it would be in the essay section.

What board are you on? AS Level right?

The essay section can be on any part of the course so... not sure where you heard that o.O
Reply 965
What board are you on? AS Level right?

The essay section can be on any part of the course so... not sure where you heard that o.O

AS, AQA. Oh really? I just presumed because, no question had come up before on it ( well papers we've done) that it wasn't on it.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/fun-place-names

:lol:

Original post by xxm
AS, AQA. Oh really? I just presumed because, no question had come up before on it ( well papers we've done) that it wasn't on it.

I'm on OCR so erm :tongue: I'd ask on the exam thread (I'm sure there is one just search for it)

More money is always lent out than deposits exists, but that's been happening for ages (if I remember correctly it's called the money multiplier) - it's not specific to the 2008 crisis.

And unfortunately not, I have to use a VPN to visit YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Reply 968
add me please
Original post by farah896
add me please

You can request to be added by going to "Community - Social Groups" and finding this society in the list. :smile:
Reply 970
Another resource is the Royal Economic Society. www.res.org.uk
How much a step up is an Economics degree from A-level, because I looked in my brothers first year Microeconomics book an it didn't look that different. He was at St Andrews, just doing one module in Econ.
Original post by Alex-Torres
How much a step up is an Economics degree from A-level, because I looked in my brothers first year Microeconomics book an it didn't look that different. He was at St Andrews, just doing one module in Econ.

It's a very big step up - well, it was at Cambridge anyway.

Ok thanks, Ive heard it's hard. What sort of things did you do in first year? What aspects did you find difficult? Is the quantitative side difficult?

Have you now graduated from Cam? If so, are the career opportunities good and is it true about the rumoured starting salaries of £40,000 + ?
Ok thanks, Ive heard it's hard. What sort of things did you do in first year? What aspects did you find difficult? Is the quantitative side difficult?

First year papers were Micro, Macro, Quantitative Methods (Maths, Stats and basic Econometrics), Political and Sociological Aspects, British Economic History. I found the essay writing papers (the last two) difficult due to the amount of reading required. Personally I found the quantitative side not to be too difficult, but many people are the opposite.

Have you now graduated from Cam? If so, are the career opportunities good and is it true about the rumoured starting salaries of £40,000 + ?

Yes I graduated over a year ago. And yes the career opportunities are good. Those kind of starting salaries are possible in investment banking, finance and certain consultancies. (Un)Fortunately I'm not in any of those. :tongue:

Just to add to the debate but from the perspective of Nottingham, it's also a big step up. First year had an increase in the quantity of economics we were exposed to, while 2nd and 3rd year were a step up in terms of material covered.

Out of curiosity did you use Kreps at undergrad for Micro? I'm doing a masters at Notts at the moment and we've used it this term.
First year papers were Micro, Macro, Quantitative Methods (Maths, Stats and basic Econometrics), Political and Sociological Aspects, British Economic History. I found the essay writing papers (the last two) difficult due to the amount of reading required. Personally I found the quantitative side not to be too difficult, but many people are the opposite.

Yes I graduated over a year ago. And yes the career opportunities are good. Those kind of starting salaries are possible in investment banking, finance and certain consultancies. (Un)Fortunately I'm not in any of those. :tongue:

If you have a good enough degree, why wouldn't you go into IB?
Original post by thetopnotch
Out of curiosity did you use Kreps at undergrad for Micro? I'm doing a masters at Notts at the moment and we've used it this term.

Kreps was occasionally relevant, but I preferred Gravelle and Rees for Micro. :smile:

If you have a good enough degree, why wouldn't you go into IB?

The ridiculous hours and a sense of morality?
Kreps was occasionally relevant, but I preferred Gravelle and Rees for Micro. :smile:

The ridiculous hours and a sense of morality?

What do you think of Ben Benanke's 'Principle of Economics' (If you've read it), my dad is always on about it...
What do you think of Ben Benanke's 'Principle of Economics' (If you've read it), my dad is always on about it...

Sorry - can't help you here, haven't read it.

Quick Reply